News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Wan'Dale Robinson WR PFF grade jumping

Started by sxdxca38, September 23, 2024, 10:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I think Wan'Dale is a solid player but I don't get the effusive praise of him. He's respectable -- good even -- but I don't see how he is better than that. He has three receiving touchdowns (four total) as a pro, and we're now in year three. I understand he has missed some games, but even on a per game basis we're talking 36.5 receiving yards per game (41 this season).

To me Wan'Dale is a nice complementary player, not unlike Cole Beasley was in his prime (though Wan'Dale has not even achieved this level yet), but I have not seen anything to suggest he is anything more than that.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 24, 2024, 06:18:17 PMI think Wan'Dale is a solid player but I don't get the effusive praise of him. He's respectable -- good even -- but I don't see how he is better than that. He has three receiving touchdowns (four total) as a pro, and we're now in year three. I understand he has missed some games, but even on a per game basis we're talking 36.5 receiving yards per game (41 this season).

To me Wan'Dale is a nice complementary player, not unlike Cole Beasley was in his prime (though Wan'Dale has not even achieved this level yet), but I have not seen anything to suggest he is anything more than that.

I am with you Jeff.  WanDale has only had 3 games above 10 yards per catch.  His range is consistently 7.3 - 9.0.  Nothing noteworthy about that.

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 24, 2024, 06:18:17 PMI think Wan'Dale is a solid player but I don't get the effusive praise of him. He's respectable -- good even -- but I don't see how he is better than that. He has three receiving touchdowns (four total) as a pro, and we're now in year three. I understand he has missed some games, but even on a per game basis we're talking 36.5 receiving yards per game (41 this season).

I think the point is he is showing signs of improvement.  With an actual #1 WR on the team, it should open up more space for Robinson to be even more effective.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: coggs on September 24, 2024, 07:27:02 PMI think the point is he is showing signs of improvement.  With an actual #1 WR on the team, it should open up more space for Robinson to be even more effective.

If that is in fact the point, then I agree with that. However, I saw words like "stud" and claims that Wan'Dale is as good as anyone in the NFL after the catch in this thread. Those kinds of descriptions I just can't get on board with, as much as I wish they were true.

Gman329

If Wan'Dal was the #2 WR on the Chiefs, he'd be a hot fantasy pick.  Dude is talented. 

Stringer Bell

I'll take Beasley's prime all day.

T200

His stats would be much better with a better QB.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jolly Blue Giant

He's doing a great job at replacing Sterling Shepard - both are small and slippery, can find openings, good hands, YAC, etc. If he stays healthy, he'll surpass what Shepard did for us. But being small and taking hits, he could end up just like Shepard and spend more time on the IR than on the field. In the meantime, he could take over a role similar to the Tom Brady/Wes Welker hookup, that is, if play calling takes advantage of it
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 25, 2024, 03:08:53 PMHe's doing a great job at replacing Sterling Shepard - both are small and slippery, can find openings, good hands, YAC, etc. If he stays healthy, he'll surpass what Shepard did for us. But being small and taking hits, he could end up just like Shepard and spend more time on the IR than on the field. In the meantime, he could take over a role similar to the Tom Brady/Wes Welker hookup, that is, if play calling takes advantage of it

We've been good with finding guys like that. steve smith, shepherd, wandale. theres 2 things we do well. draft DT and slot WR

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 25, 2024, 03:08:53 PMHe's doing a great job at replacing Sterling Shepard - both are small and slippery, can find openings, good hands, YAC, etc. If he stays healthy, he'll surpass what Shepard did for us. But being small and taking hits, he could end up just like Shepard and spend more time on the IR than on the field. In the meantime, he could take over a role similar to the Tom Brady/Wes Welker hookup, that is, if play calling takes advantage of it

I don't really remember, were Welker and Edelman much in the way of blockers?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on September 24, 2024, 10:46:14 PMHis stats would be much better with a better QB.

We blame Jones' bad stats on the lack of supporting talent he has had.

We blame Wan'Dale's bad stats on Jones.

Maybe we just don't have very good players on offense period.

Outside of Nabers who is clearly a stud.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 25, 2024, 08:50:14 PMWe blame Jones' bad stats on the lack of supporting talent he has had.

We blame Wan'Dale's bad stats on Jones.

Maybe we just don't have very good players on offense period.

Outside of Nabers who is clearly a stud.
I wasn't trying to lay blame on anyone.

I have been a fan of Robinson's from Day 1. My post wasn't meant to demean Jones but I think we know what he is at this point.

A better QB will have better field vision and see when other receivers outside of his first read are open, hit them in stride, or throw them open to a spot where they can make a play.

As the offensive line gels and hopefully gives Jones consistent protection, he will get more comfortable and go through his reads and not cut and run when he perceives pressure.

If that happens, I think we'll see Wan'Dale's and Hyatt's production increase because teams will be looking to shut down Nabers.

Robinson is as tough as they come and he's shifty and can break tackles to move the chains regularly. I think we've only seen a fraction of what he can be.

Get Hyatt involved and we have a very formidable trio at receiver. But they can't throw it to themselves.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

TDToomer

I am just not excited about a #2 receiver averaging 40 yards per game. Most NFL teams wouldn't either. It really stinks that Hyatt cannot get more playing time. I do like that Wan'dell has been consistently been healthy.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: TDToomer on Today at 09:48:18 AMI am just not excited about a #2 receiver averaging 40 yards per game. Most NFL teams wouldn't either. It really stinks that Hyatt cannot get more playing time. I do like that Wan'dell has been consistently been healthy.

Slayton's out tonight...right?  :-??

Hyatt will get field time tonight. And if the Cowboys start double-teaming Nabers, maybe he'll have a breakout night

One thing we can be sure of tonight, their defensive game plan will be to stop Nabers
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

MrGap92

I like Wan'Dale, I think now fully healthy he will start to see his best days ahead. But I do agree some of the praise has been a bit too premature

I stand by saying he is a great piece, but he needs to be more consistent, and continue to realize his potential.