News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What is it about the Giants that the national media hates?

Started by shadowspinner0, September 25, 2024, 08:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger, BlueMoshik and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

shadowspinner0

Even when teams like the Cowboys, Lakers, Knicks are bad, the media still talk about them. Yet the Giants are treated like they are the Panthers almost, completely irrelevant team unless they are playing a popular team. I know fans will say "who cares what the media says.....", but I'm curious what did the Giants do to received this much negativity and apathy from the media?

T200

We haven't been bad for the past 10-plus years... we've been horrible. We have the absolute worst record in football the last 10 years. We're not competitive. Outside of Saquon and now Nabers, we have no stars that casual fans can name and recognize.

There's absolutely nothing for the media outside of NY to talk about until they play Dallas or another popular team.

Upset a few contenders and they will talk. Get trounced tomorrow night and the story will be all about Dallas, as it has been for the past 6 games against them.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

The media has nothing personal against the Giants. It's a performance issue. Our performance has been nothing short of an unmitigated disgrace for a solid decade plus. That's just an indisputable fact. You're going to take a lot of heat from people when that's the case. To expect special treatment or slack is unrealistic. This is an intensely competitive league. You get what you get.

TONKA56

That's usually what happens when you suck for a decade. Winning one or two games doesn't wash off the stink.

President Rick

a lot of folks have imaginary bumper stickers that say:  "I hate NY".

for some, [some, not all - my late wife was a Virginian - it's an anti NY, NYC, east coast, northeast/northern/yankee bias that's been abroad in this country since thomas jefferson. 
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Giantleap56

Largest media market. Negativity equals ratings. When Giants are winning less to talk about everything is good. When they lose well social media is lighting up. Media knows this is the formula for ratings. Society in general has become negative.

kartanoman

Quote from: shadowspinner0 on September 25, 2024, 08:59:25 PMEven when teams like the Cowboys, Lakers, Knicks are bad, the media still talk about them. Yet the Giants are treated like they are the Panthers almost, completely irrelevant team unless they are playing a popular team. I know fans will say "who cares what the media says.....", but I'm curious what did the Giants do to received this much negativity and apathy from the media?

You use the term "hate" and likely mistaken it for "ignore."

Our fellow brethren have chimed in as to the reason why. But I will throw a log on the 🔥 to give you another perspective.

The media doesn't have a lure to latch onto this team to really get excited about them. But make no mistake in that this nation has plenty of Giants fans and they show up en masse at the away games. When the Giants do well on the road, you will hear the commentators always remark about the loud and loyal Giants fans.

We are the ones who end up getting the attention just as much as any player on the team. It will continue that way until a superstar evolves from the roster.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Philosophers

When the Giants are on national tv, they usually play horribly and lose badly. 

TDToomer

I've by dying on this hill for years! The OP is absolutely correct. The national media hate the Giants and could care less. When a teams struggle there is usually a national conversation about why. The Panthers are always being discussed for instance as well as the Bears. But the Giants have a string of losses and they need local kid with a Chicken Parm slinging family to bring them back into the conversation.

ESPN is mostly to blame for this. As they are the largest national sports network they can dictate the conversation and the Cowboys, win or lose, get most of the attention when it should be the Chiefs. The have historically hired underqualified former Cowboys who can't hide their bias. When the Giants play the Cowboys and they are forced to mention us the graphic might as well read  COWBOYS vs giants.

Next is Fox. Even with Michael Strahan they can't hide their Cowboys bias mostly because of Jimmy Johnson pulling this crap during halftime of the playoff vs the Packers.

JJ has no business on a national show. If he wants to pretend he is still their coach go work for a local Dallas affiliate.

It's not because the Giants have been mostly lousy the past decade., The national media just doesn't care and treats the Giants like they play in Iowa or North Dakota when they half represent the largest metro area. It's disgusting.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Fletch

Maybe it has to do with 2 former Cowboys QBs; Romo and Aikman and coach Jimmy Johnson are main contributors to TV commentary. Not to mention that other guy with Sharon Sharpe on blogoshere front. THe fact is Cowboys have won a lot of championships ; are a contender and have been for years; at one time dominated the entire southern states TV market, and have a national fanbase. Between Daniel Jones mediocrity and there continuing to stick it out with him, jettisoning Saquon Barkley, consistently starting out 0-2 for years; not really being considered a contender even when they won SBs with Eli; and not having any players since Bark left that put up any kind of stats -- what are you expecting?

Painter

Would you care for some cheese with your whine? For all our yacking, all we seem really good at is blaming and taking credit although maybe not as supercilious as Cows fans or as doltish as those of the Uglys.

Cheers!

Philosophers

I hate this sort of whining.  They rag on Giants because Giants are terrible.  In the 1980s when the Giants had incredible defenses, all the media talked about was how good it was.

Being good gets media attention and talking them up.  Simple as that.

MrGap92

Bob In PA

Quote from: shadowspinner0 on September 25, 2024, 08:59:25 PMEven when teams like the Cowboys, Lakers, Knicks are bad, the media still talk about them. Yet the Giants are treated like they are the Panthers almost, completely irrelevant team unless they are playing a popular team. I know fans will say "who cares what the media says.....", but I'm curious what did the Giants do to received this much negativity and apathy from the media?

Spinner: The answer to the question in the title to this thread is obvious. You may disagree, but IMO the Giants have a "reliable" fan-base and amount of money already being spent.

The NFL does everything possible and conspires (using the word loosely, unless you think it's a monopoly?) to ensure that other teams, especially those in the smaller markets, always have star players and & plenty of viable reasons to attract a decent-sized fan-base, because THE LEAGUE MAKES MORE MONEY when there is team parity and everyone has a good chance to (1) draw a decent crowd; (2) sell a bunch of jerseys, etc.; (3) get into the playoffs, and even (4) have a good shot at an occasional championship.

I am tempted to go so far as to suggest that, despite all the $$$ big-market teams spend on scouting, they at least occasionally willfully fail to draft certain players they think are "best available" in order to give smaller-market teams a chance to grab them, which again MAKES NFL MORE MONEY in the long run.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Gmo11

Not only have the Giants been an unmitigated disaster for a decade...they haven't been interesting either.  With the Panthers you have a #1 overall pick busting about as horribly as a guy can bust.  Jones has been almost as terrible, but he's not a #1 overall pick AND most of the analysis at the time was it was stupid for them to take him that high anyway.  Him being awful isn't interesting, it's expected.  Bryce Young being awful is interesting.  Especially coupled with CJ Stroud going #2.

The bottom line is if the Giants are even remotely relevant the national media will pounce on that and the NY market immediately.  Outside of the Cowboys there's nothing more the national media wants than a NY team to be good.  It's not some big conspiracy.  There has been nothing about the Giants worth discussing since Eli retired other than OBJ and Gettleman couldn't get rid of him fast enough.  It's sad but true.

If the Giants show signs of life this year, and they replace Jones next year, the tide will shift. If they continue with the status quo...you won't hear them mentioned much until somebody gets fired.