News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

24 carries for 26 yards

Started by JT39, September 26, 2024, 11:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDToomer and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: MightyGiants on Today at 08:59:12 AMhttps://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1839627959520391329

Not a single post from anyone about a HORRIBLE performance by the OL against the worst run defense in the league, yet several blaming DJ for the anemic run game performance.

Like Swiss clockwork.

President Rick

did we start a run outside the tackles [not counting ones where the RB hit a wall and bounced it outside]????   How creative.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

UncannyGfan

I think a lot runs for little gain instead of an incomplete pass or sack were a reason they were in a position to win.  Dallas is a better team.  Dallas's defense was completely out of gas for the Giants final drive.  The 2022 Giants with Barkley/Jones fresh legs (and better arm?) win that game.  I don't think Jones's completion percentage would have been as high as it was without staying committed to the run throughout the game.  This game plan gave them a chance to win.  Sub out a few 2nd down runs for incomplete passes and what happens to the time of possession?  Did the running game give Thomas an edge against Parsons in passing downs?  Obviously if they picked up more yards than they did on 2nd down they would have had a higher chance of winning but their lack of an average yard per carry doesn't mean it was a bad strategy.  They lost by five points to Dallas and Jones was sacked only once.  Last year they lost by 40 in their first game and 32 in their second and Dallas won 14 of their last 15 against the Giants. 

Is it unfortunate that I'm arguing that the margin of defeat is narrowing rather that talking a winning team?  Of course, but the Giants have been a bad team for a long time and here we are.  I don't think last night's running strategy is why they lost, I think it's why they almost won.

Jones threw a better deep ball earlier in his career so that was a little concerning last night.  A deep ball with an ever-present run option synergize. 

The issue I had with the coaching was not rotating Nabers out more after some of the hits he took.  But other than that, I think they kept their composure and gave the team a chance to win at any point in time.  That terrible face masking call could have been the difference.       

Philosophers

IMHO there's no single biggest reason but several.

Rush per yards?  Yes.

How about 3rd downs and completed passes that came up short of the first down?

How about WRs not running their routes to the sticks?

How about coaches not coaching DJ and WRs to throw and run to first down markers?

How about WanDale catching around 11 passes for a whopping 71 yards or so?

How about DJ not looking off his primary WRs?

How about TEs who cant get schemed open and cant manage to get open to be a viable option?

I can keep going.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

todge

Quote from: MightyGiants on Today at 08:23:00 AMNice try, but not quite the same thing.  Look, I get it.  To your eyes, Jones is the reason the Giants have been bad (outside of 2022, when the Giants got to the playoffs and won a game DESPITE Jones) since he was drafted.  Everything is his fault, from the bad roster to the questionable coaching decisions, to the coaching staff turnovers, to the disappointing draft picks.  That's all on Daniel Jones.

Funny how people not trying to blame Jones from all the Giants problems have noted that all the NFL QBs are struggling with the deep passing game as teams are going to 2 high safety looks that minimize the deep passing
How many "deep passes" did Dallas complete? The two high safety defense is ruining the game. Teams are relying on short/intermediate passes and YAC for their offense now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GloryDays

If you are not a DJ hater, you have to admit that with such a running game deficiency, DJ's performance was pretty good.
The offense overall was timid. Daboll as usual was trying to keep the game close and eek out a win.. a boring offense; not having a respectable running attack exposed this issue even more imo.

T200

I couldn't really focus too much on the game, just bits and pieces. The running game was a huge letdown for sure.

I'm just as disappointed as the next person. But Dallas already got run on for hundreds of yards the past two games and all the talk leading up to the game was that the Giants can run on them as well. Wouldn't Zimmer's priority be shoring up their run defense? Did Dallas load the box?

I think Daboll is in over his head calling plays and being the HC.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: