News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFL officiating

Started by MightyGiants, September 29, 2024, 09:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

So so true Rich!!... And it's something that needs to be talked about more frequently. We are in the age of replay and something as egregious as that face mask call needs to be corrected. I think the Giants win the game if that call is corrected.

My BIGGER issue is why didn't the coaches upstairs scream and yell and have Daboll and Bellinger go nuts on the sideline?...that concerns me. They were so nonchalant about it.

Maybe one of the Giants coaches need to watch the game in real time and listen to the announcers also who sometimes pick things up. I think other teams rely on these things better than us as u constantly see head coaches asking them upstairs for help

Jersey Heel

Watching Get Up on ESPN the following morning, I expected a big conversation on the call and they didn't so much as mention it in the segments I watched. Made me wonder if the NFL told all their partners to sweep it under the rug.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jersey Heel on September 29, 2024, 10:30:28 AMWatching Get Up on ESPN the following morning, I expected a big conversation on the call and they didn't so much as mention it in the segments I watched. Made me wonder if the NFL told all their partners to sweep it under the rug.

With gambling being so big, the last thing the NFL wanted was their henious officiating error talked about
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 29, 2024, 11:20:41 AMhttps://x.com/clt_ny/status/1840410368901869653
He was rolling his eyes to complain and he quickly calmed down. Daboll was on to the next play but someone upstairs in QC should have seen it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Giant Jim

Yet they can review and overturn a call when a player's foot is a quarter inch over a line.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 29, 2024, 11:31:23 AMHe was rolling his eyes to complain and he quickly calmed down. Daboll was on to the next play but someone upstairs in QC should have seen it.

Ed: I can explain it, and the fact that he called it on the wrong team IMO confirms my explanation.

He didn't see the foul directly... he caught it in his peripheral vision. Not the first time a penalty was called by an official in that manner.  But most guys will admit it in the conference with the ref.

He KNEW someone pulled someone's face mask but (to his shame and disgrace) he didn't own up to the limited nature of his observation. Rookie mistake by an experienced official and (OF COURSE) it had to happen to the Giants. Thanks a lot. We have enough of our own bad luck without and assistance from outside sources.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

files58

The NFL grants extra draft picks using a secret free agency formula. Why not use a similar + - system for egregious calls. Or egregious calls earns a certain amount of Cap relief. Someway teams get compensated in addition to the league apology that has the same use as one or two ply sheets.

Woody

This penalty should have been corrected by the league at the time .....no excuses in today age of tech. 
no excuses please just a genuine apology and admission of the mistake is all they can do at this time .. Plus a reprimand of the officiating crew as well.

todge

I posted this on another thread, so sorry for the redundancy -

I read that Clay Martin's crew have officiated four other Dallas road games. The Cowboys won all four and the games contained questionable calls in Dallas' favor.

The league should not allow officials to work a game if they are from that area. How do we know the official who picked up the flag isn't from Texas and is a Cowboys fan? Logistically you could have backup officials in place to replace guys who should disqualify themselves from working a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kartanoman

Look folks, we all know the refs screwed the Giants and that the NFL (at least to my knowledge) has yet to come out an issue a "Mea Culpa" for the mistake made by the referees on the play. It was crap and the officiating crew are going to be dinged for it when it comes time for selecting post-season officiating crews. It is what is and the Giants can't get it back.

I look at it that they screwed the pooch and know damned well they did. As a result, they tried to make up for it by turning the other way on a few holding calls at the line of scrimmage on the Giants that they were in their right to call, but chose not to. So, for what it's worth, you can go back and see for yourself that they truly did let a few holding penalties go on the Giants after the botched facemask. Then, again, they disrupted the play with so many penalty calls that the game was pretty choppy with few instances of game flow which might have made the game more interesting.

So, for whatever it is worth, the officiating crew does get evaluated after each game and the facemask will be assessed 15 yards against their own performance last week. Still, I would have expected the league to step up and call out the mistake on behalf of their officiating crew. Perhaps tomorrow, after all the Week #4 games have completed, they will do it; I certainly hope so since it is the just thing to do.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Woody

There were to very bad calls and non calls by the refs in nDallas game.......the touchdown run by Dallas there was clear holding on the play and the refs picked the flag up  .saw replay again today on tube ....
and the face mask call that really effected the gamer even the Giants at stage of the game may have scored a TD if the 15 yards was added to play . That one was absolutely awful ...the NFL had to correct that call at the time ...they saw the mistake as did everyone watching the game...clearly the ref was confused and called the penalty on the player that had his facemark grab ....in todays game that has to be corrected ...no excuses

Bob In PA

Quote from: kartanoman on September 30, 2024, 06:35:26 PMthey tried to make up for it by turning the other way on a few holding calls at the line of scrimmage on the Giants that they were in their right to call,
k-man: I also saw it.

IMO, it's uncharacteristic for the Giants to get a few close calls in a row, so it is indeed possible to view the subsequent events as an attempt to make up for the mistake rather than as a mere coincidence.  Sadly, it's usually impossible to even out officiating errors (unless it's accomplished on the very next play (and even that approach is not true "justice").

The worst part of it, IMO, is that the bad call completely disrupted the flow of an offense that has had trouble for many years "getting into the flow" of the game in the first quarter. They actually had a bit of momentum and were on the move. IMO the bad call killed their best chance to score a TD, which could possibly have been enough to make them a winner.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!