News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What the heck is going on with Jalin Hyatt?

Started by TONKA56, October 02, 2024, 11:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Quote from: LennG on October 02, 2024, 03:58:05 PMWe got rid of one guy that didn't produce to the Chiefs. They sure neef another WR right about now.

We could get good value for him from a team that needs WRs desperately

The Chiefs drafted Xavier Worthy for that same role.

todge

Quote from: sxdxca38 on October 02, 2024, 04:11:47 PMDabolls been very transparent with regards to DJ. When he's played bad, he's said so, and when he plays well, he defends him.

Over the last 3 games it's been the latter and not the former, and his statement that he's been locked in is not a lie, but the truth.
Unfortunately the Jones' haters don't have a lot of evidence to back up their claims. Jones has been "locked in". In the Dallas game, he completed 72% of his passes with four drops and two heaves. PFF gave him a near elite grade which was the highest in the entire game. But the expectation is that Jones is supposed to complete every pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrGap92

Quote from: sxdxca38 on October 02, 2024, 04:11:47 PMDabolls been very transparent with regards to DJ. When he's played bad, he's said so, and when he plays well, he defends him.

Over the last 3 games it's been the latter and not the former, and his statement that he's been locked in is not a lie, but the truth.

So what is your response going to be when they cut him in the offseason?

MrGap92

Quote from: todge on October 02, 2024, 04:32:13 PMUnfortunately the Jones' haters don't have a lot of evidence to back up their claims. Jones has been "locked in". In the Dallas game, he completed 72% of his passes with four drops and two heaves. PFF gave him a near elite grade which was the highest in the entire game. But the expectation is that Jones is supposed to complete every pass.

And he lost, he couldnt make the plays when they mattered

They aren't claims, he doesn't step up in big moments, he doesn't elevate himself or others, he is not a winner no amount of completed dinks and dunks are going to change that

sxdxca38

Quote from: MrGap92 on October 02, 2024, 04:32:49 PMSo what is your response going to be when they cut him in the offseason?

This is the second assumption you have made. The first was he won't be the QB next year, and the second is he will be cut.

I have not assumed anything, as I'm not going to be presumptuous, so I will allow the next 14 games to see what happens.

There is wisdom in being modest and not assume things.

Take care as I have to head back to work

MrGap92

Quote from: sxdxca38 on October 02, 2024, 04:48:07 PMThis is the second assumption you have made. The first was he won't be the QB next year, and the second is he will be cut.

I have not assumed anything, as I'm not going to be presumptuous, so I will allow the next 14 games to see what happens.

There is wisdom in being modest and not assume things.

Take care as I have to head back to work

Why do you need to see what happens? He has been here 6 years, and this season you have made topics praising every performance

Well correction, the ones where they win and he isnt a total disaster, I noticed when he plays poorly you do not make the weekly topic.

Jclayton92

Every NFL player is locked in, we are paying the guy 40 million a year so he shouldn't get brownie points for that. Just a few actual stats on Jones this year since you like to cherry pick.

An overall cmpl% of 63.2%
Yard per attempt 6.1
Average target of depth 7.8
Tds/Int 4/3

Deep passing-
16 attempts with 4 completions
Cmpl% 25%
Attempt rate 11.1%
For 120 yards and an Int

Redzone-
19 attempts
52.6% completion percentage
For 41 yards

Efficiency-
90 First read throws  on his 144 dropbacks
Only 2 highlight throws in 4 games or 1.4%
Int worthy throws 5, or 3.5%
His Zone passer rating is 57.4 and he's averaging 6.9 yards per attempt in man and 3.1 per attempt in zone.
He has a 48.7% cmpl% against any pressure with a 3.4 YPA despite having an absurd 2.7 average time to throw.

So you still want to give him brownie points because to 99% of people he still looks like the same ole Jones, he just happens to have a generational Wr to throw to every play and pray for something good to happen.

Jclayton92

Quote from: todge on October 02, 2024, 04:32:13 PMUnfortunately the Jones' haters don't have a lot of evidence to back up their claims. Jones has been "locked in". In the Dallas game, he completed 72% of his passes with four drops and two heaves. PFF gave him a near elite grade which was the highest in the entire game. But the expectation is that Jones is supposed to complete every pass.

Lol where have you been for 6 years? This is like Deja vu all over again from 2022. Jones is to scared to throw deep or cant so we do a ton of short intermediate stuff that any backup could do with a generational wr and yet he's supposed to be praised? The guy has been the definition of pedestrian and yet people are haters when they point out just how pedestrian he is?

Gmo11

If anybody should be a trade target it's Slayton.  We know what that guy is and isn't. The Chiefs would have him starting in like 2 weeks, meanwhile Hyatt might finally get a fair shake around here.  There's not a doubt in my mind that based on what we saw last year he's better than Slayton.  And he's the perfect compliment to Nabers on one side and Wandale in the middle.  It's baffling that they don't play him more.  Other than the obvious reason which is his QB can't throw it deep so why bother using a deep threat.

DaveBrown74

I struggle to understand why people are in such shock about Hyatt's lack of production.

He is a third round pick who isn't working out. That happens all the time in the NFL, even on the best teams. The idea that it's a shock or otherwise unexplainable that it could happen to us is perplexing to me. Did people really believe we had some gem that the other 31 GMs didn't know about for two rounds and missed the boat on?

AZGiantFan

Quote from: LennG on October 02, 2024, 03:58:05 PMWe got rid of one guy that didn't produce to the Chiefs. They sure neef another WR right about now.

We could get good value for him from a team that needs WRs desperately

What kind of value can they get trading a WR with 3 targets in the first 4 games?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

bamagiantfan

Okay, this topic has really gotten under my skin.

First, Daniel Jones is not throwing the deep ball well.

Last, JALIN HYATT's LACK OF USE AND PRODUCTION IS JALIN DAVEON HYATT'S FAULT - no one else's. Golladay and Shephard are gone and Hyatt couldn't even beat out Slayton, who runs similar routes to what he would be  running. Slayton realized this team desperately needs a WR who will block and has embraced that role. Hyatt is coasting and has made the least of his opportunities.

Remember when Mettenburger was playing at LSU and scouts thought he was a stud? He was throwing to Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham. Without them, Mettenberger looked like a very average QB in the NFL. Hyatt is a good WR. Nothing more. Hendon Hooker on the other hand is a stud who is recovering from a serious injury and stuck behind Jared Goff. Hyatt looks like nothing without Hendon Hooker who won SEC Offensive player of the year over Bryce Young, Malik Nabors, back-to-back National Champ Stetson Bennett, and the SEC leader in receiving Jalin Hyatt. Hooker is THAT good. Hyatt was fortunate to be on the other end of those passes.

Jalin Hyatt can be the player he was in college but needs to get better and he needs to want to get better. I'm not seeing either. The guys he was beating in college are starting in the NFL. He hasn't risen to seize the opportunity and frankly, he is going the other direction.

I'm tired of everyone blaming Daboll and Jones for Hyatt's inability to do something - anything! Lay the blame where it belongs.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 02, 2024, 06:59:11 PMI struggle to understand why people are in such shock about Hyatt's lack of production.

He is a third round pick who isn't working out. That happens all the time in the NFL, even on the best teams. The idea that it's a shock or otherwise unexplainable that it could happen to us is perplexing to me. Did people really believe we had some gem that the other 31 GMs didn't know about for two rounds and missed the boat on?

I think that folks are surprised because last year in 17 games he had 40 targets and did about as well as you would expect for a 3rd round rookie.  It's not unusual, it's even expected, for a rookie receiver with a first year like that to take a step forward rather go into WitSec.  There is a very wide gap berween being a gem and being a decent productive receiver, but I chalk that part of your comment up to hyperbole.  A lot of good receivers are drafted in the 3rd round, and based on his year 1 it was totally reasonable to expect him to be at least decent.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on October 02, 2024, 08:28:36 PMI think that folks are surprised because last year in 17 games he had 40 targets and did about as well as you would expect for a 3rd round rookie.  It's not unusual, it's even expected, for a rookie receiver with a first year like that to take a step forward rather go into WitSec.  There is a very wide gap berween being a gem and being a decent productive receiver, but I chalk that part of your comment up to hyperbole.  A lot of good receivers are drafted in the 3rd round, and based on his year 1 it was totally reasonable to expect him to be at least decent.

Fair enough explanation.

sxdxca38

Quote from: MrGap92 on October 02, 2024, 04:51:50 PMWhy do you need to see what happens? He has been here 6 years, and this season you have made topics praising every performance

Well correction, the ones where they win and he isnt a total disaster, I noticed when he plays poorly you do not make the weekly topic.

Because Daniel Jones has been successful in his past. Maybe you forgot, which is understandable, so I'll try to refresh your memory. In 2022 he posted a 92.3 RTG which was ranked 13th, and his QBR that year was 62.6 which ranked 6th in the NFL.

So, as you can see it hasn't just been the good performances this year.

As to your last statement, as a Giants fan may I ask why it bothers you so much when DJ has a good game, and I post it? Wouldn't you want your QB to succeed? Or do you want him to fail?

I'll leave you with that to meditate on.