News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Geno Smith

Started by LennG, October 02, 2024, 04:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

Quote from: TDToomer on October 03, 2024, 03:37:24 PMBut what you are saying is that it would have been OK to bench Eli in 2017 had his consecutive streak not existed and you cannot run a successful team this way. You have to make hard decisions for the good of the team and 11 games into the 2017 season at 2-9 any team would have considered benching their QB.

With all the respect in the world for you, that is not what I am attempting to articulate.

At the time, I was 100% the Giants are Eli's team and he is the General leading them into battle. The Iron-Man streak, in and of itself, is not the end-all of end-alls, as I probably am making it sound like. It is the fact he was the Giants' leader, two-time Super Bowl MVP and it was his team. My opinion was that it wasn't his time to give up the reins just yet. The fact he had led the team for 13+ consecutive years without missing a game was testimony to not only his durability but everything about who he was as a leader for the Giants.

That's something that should never be easily dismissed as that fateful day demonstrated it to be.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)