News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Brian Burns and Kayvon Thibodeaux -

Started by sxdxca38, October 03, 2024, 08:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

The Giants traded a 2nd and 5th round pick for Burns, and also gave him a five year 140-million-dollar contract.

In return Burns is projected to record four sacks this year.

Kayvon Thibodeaux was a top five draft pick and projected to be a star.

Last year he recorded 11.5 sacks, however this year he is projected to record six sacks.

Dexter Lawrence is virtually double teamed on every play, leaving both of these DEs with one-on-one opportunities.

With that being the case, both of these players should be recording around 12-14 sacks each, but that is not happening.

In my opinion they are both severely underperforming, and it's hurting the team.

Curious your thoughts? 

ralphpal1

What did they see in them to make them draft one and sign the other
That is the problem right there

Woody

Sterling Shepard score td for Tampa.   FYI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Woody

Quote from: sxdxca38 on October 03, 2024, 08:49:11 PMThe Giants traded a 2nd and 5th round pick for Burns, and also gave him a five year 140-million-dollar contract.

In return Burns is projected to record four sacks this year.

Kayvon Thibodeaux was a top five draft pick and projected to be a star.

Last year he recorded 11.5 sacks, however this year he is projected to record six sacks.

Dexter Lawrence is virtually double teamed on every play, leaving both of these DEs with one-on-one opportunities.

With that being the case, both of these players should be recording around 12-14 sacks each, but that is not happening.

In my opinion they are both severely underperforming, and it's hurting the team.

Curious your thoughts?
Totally agree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Hadron on October 03, 2024, 09:46:13 PMhttps://x.com/Anthony_Rivardo/status/1841500611663003655?t=mS5X5DtMvw_BG3JSwIFxdQ&s=19

Saw this posted in another thread. Worth a read.

Burns is 6th in pass rush win rate. The issue is a lack of true pass sets reps because the rushing defense is relatively weak. Regardless, the defense is not the problem with this team. It's solidly middle of the pack. Offense being among the worst in the league is why the Giants are 1-3.

kingm56

As a whole, the defense is better than average. At 21 PA, they're currently #13 in NFL, which is incredibly impressive when you consider they've played the #3, 4 and 10 best scoring offenses.  If the Giants offense ranked higher than 30th in Points Scored, we're probably not having these discussions.  Fundamentally, I continue to believe this team is closer to competent than some fans realize.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Hadron on October 03, 2024, 09:46:13 PMhttps://x.com/Anthony_Rivardo/status/1841500611663003655?t=mS5X5DtMvw_BG3JSwIFxdQ&s=19

Saw this posted in another thread. Worth a read.

Good information, and that is a possibility, but the reality is the man is on pace for 4 sacks this year, that simply isn't going to cut it.

Aiden Hutchinson had 5.5 sacks in just two games.

Burns has got to show me more than what he is producing

AZGiantFan

I could accept the sack numbers a lot easier in the context of a big improvement in run defense, but that isn't happening.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: sxdxca38 on October 03, 2024, 10:33:09 PMGood information, and that is a possibility, but the reality is the man is on pace for 4 sacks this year, that simply isn't going to cut it.

In discussions around Daniel Jones, do you extrapolate out his 4 TDs this season (to 16) and say it isn't going to cut it and start threads about how he's severely underperforming? No. From what I can tell, you're trying to look beyond counting stats and see DJ's contribution... but why do you not extend that same courtesy to Brian Burns? Why do you only focus on his sack contribution when you're not that reductive of other players? Why are you not preaching letting the season to play out for him?

The defense is not the issue with this team--it is the only phase of the game keeping the Giants competitive. And to be clear, I'm more than fine with criticism of Burns and Thibodeaux. But what I can't understand is criticism of them that is inconsistent with that levied upon other players on this team, especially when the defense is performing well in a brand new scheme after an abysmal season under Wink.

Suffice it to say I think the Giants need to find a way to shore up the run defense and it will make the pass rush production numbers look better. But let's also not ignore the effect of the horrific offense: being ahead in games would cause the opposing offense to have to throw to play catch-up, but the Giants have held few leads this season. The only game they had a two-score lead (Cleveland), they put up 9 sacks. I don't think that's a coincidence.