News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can we finally agree?

Started by Trench, October 13, 2024, 11:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

My biggest fear: we cut him, draft a rookie that "might or might not" work out for the Giants...then watch DJ go to a Midwest team and flourish like Sam Darnold, with a little Brady mixed in

The fan base in NYC is harsh (to put it mildly) and an impossibly tough crowd to please, and every mistake is magnified tenfold, and it will be vocalized in a hundred different sources. Take some small place like Indiana, and "poof", the pressure is gone. DJ's Giants' career may be coming to an end, but I seriously doubt his NFL career is coming to an end. Time will tell
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

Fletch

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on October 14, 2024, 02:44:45 PMMy biggest fear: we cut him, draft a rookie that "might or might not" work out for the Giants...then watch DJ go to a Midwest team and flourish like Sam Darnold, with a little Brady mixed in

The fan base in NYC is harsh (to put it mildly) and an impossibly tough crowd to please, and every mistake is magnified tenfold, and it will be vocalized in a hundred different sources. Take some small place like Indiana, and "poof", the pressure is gone. DJ's Giants' career may be coming to an end, but I seriously doubt his NFL career is coming to an end. Time will tell

That's not going to happen. Jones is a 6 year player. He just isn't going to get "better" at this point. Darnold was a legit top draft pick. He didn't play well. He also played for the NC Panthers and the NY Jets which are some how making 4X MVP and legend of the sport look bad somehow.

You could have signed Derrick Carr, Kirk Cousins, or Baker Mayfield for about the same if not a lot les smoney and with that D been a playoff team.

todge

No "we" cannot finally agree. Why is it so important to you that others here support your endless campaign against Jones?

Tell me , how did the second highest paid QB in the league make out yesterday? Take away the runs and Joe Burrow was not better than Jones. Even with his primary weapons on the field in Higgins and Chase Burrow struggled. There was no Malik Nabers yesterday and that really crippled this offense.

Didn't you notice that not one person on offense had an acceptable PFF grade? I'm not saying that Jones had a good game but when no one else on offense did either, then it should be a reminder this is a team game.

In the 4th quarter, I didn't see one ounce of separation by the WRs. Jones had to force the ball into covered receivers. The OL played poorly as well. The interception was because Eleumenor missed his block and Jones' hand was hit.

It's real easy to just blame the QB. But a QB is only as good as his supporting cast and that's something that is always lost when a team loses a game. Jones had risen to 12th in QBR but a variety of factors led to him playing a poor game. It happens ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody

Quote from: Fletch on October 14, 2024, 02:40:45 PM1. As much as I loved Bradshaw and Jacobs; they weren't exactly APs. In fact I think Eli played with one AP; JPP who was a defensive player; his whole career. His 2007 tema had one pro bowler Osi Umenyura. He did not play with an AP on his line; that I know. He played with freakin Erick Flowers at one time

2. Victor Cruz was a UDFA.
3. Shockey watched from a press box injured for the whole post season while Eli was winning rings with a rookie TE Kevin Boss and made Larry Darnell an NFL player (he was more like Canadian football leauge)

Let's just face it. Some people elevate players around them and some, just do not have that instinct for the game and are passengers since their mistakes far outweigh their contributions.

Eli had a very good personnel stat year his best and he did bring them back late in games several times that year but the Giants were outscored as a team that year and he had Nicks,Manningham cruz and a very good TE named Ballard that made huge plays down the stretch . The defense was just average at best ,.. yes Eli was the difference for that year one year and played great in the playoffs  but as a team they were 9-7 and many complaints along the way about the team until they made the playoffs.....
not to mention a very good o line    ...one of the best they have ever had. 

Fletch

So @ todge and @Woody am I to understand that QBs are all the same / just by products of a team?

So Eli Manning and Joe Burrow and Daniel Jones are completely interchangeable then? Heck why not just unretire Mike Glennon then? Am I really to believe every time they lose it is the teams fault but every time they win " Daniel Jones was GGGRRRRRreat...."

Burrow may not have played his best game but, he made plays when his team needed him. Jones does NOT.

That run was exceptional. 2 of his passes  to his TE especially down the stretch were plays Daniel Jones cannot make and has not made. Eli was like that tioo.. Even Tiki said it . When you needed him he came through.

I mean sure Burrow is just the same as Jones if you ignore all his good plays. And Daniel Jones is a good QB if you just ignore his bad games ...yea ok

Woody

Quote from: Fletch on October 14, 2024, 03:06:50 PMSo @ todge and @Woody am I to understand that QBs are all the same / just by products of a team?

So Eli Manning and Joe Burrow and Daniel Jones are completely interchangeable then? Heck why not just unretire Mike Glennon then? Am I really to believe every time they lose it is the teams fault but every time they win " Daniel Jones was GGGRRRRRreat...."

Burrow may not have played his best game but, he made plays when his team needed him. Jones does NOT.

That run was exceptional. 2 of his passes  to his TE especially down the stretch were plays Daniel Jones cannot make and has not made. Eli was like that tioo.. Even Tiki said it . When you needed him he came through.

I mean sure Burrow is just the same as Jones if you ignore all his good plays. And Daniel Jones is a good QB if you just ignore his bad games ...yea ok

no that is not what I am saying....but as I mentioned Eli made plays but a play has two parts the passer and a receiver who can get open and make the catch. I don't think the Giants have both parts ..thats all I am saying
 All of the receivers I have mentioned in Eli's years are far better than anyone the Giants have had in the last 6 years. with the exception of Beckham in his first two years. He was definitely the Offense and Eli got him the ball ..the Macadooo year the defense carried the team and often scored to help the offense. I think that was the year the Giants beat Miami in London 10-7 and the defense scored the only Giant td.
the last few years Eli would not have survived ...with the lousy line and as much as game has changed a pocket passer would not do well ....
and I don't think QBs
's are plug and play guys ....A good QB does make people around them better but at the same time with a team like the Giants I am not sure just substituting a QB after the fact saying any other QB would have won a game is not as easy as it sounds.
with most  of Elis throws were was a good receiver on the other end that made the catch.
not sure he would have the same success with this group today, but maybe.

MrGap92

Not exactly a ringing endorsement if this is a real quote.

https://x.com/bigblueview/status/1845884112260985173

Trench

Quote from: todge on October 14, 2024, 02:59:20 PMNo "we" cannot finally agree. Why is it so important to you that others here support your endless campaign against Jones?

Tell me , how did the second highest paid QB in the league make out yesterday? Take away the runs and Joe Burrow was not better than Jones. Even with his primary weapons on the field in Higgins and Chase Burrow struggled. There was no Malik Nabers yesterday and that really crippled this offense.

Didn't you notice that not one person on offense had an acceptable PFF grade? I'm not saying that Jones had a good game but when no one else on offense did either, then it should be a reminder this is a team game.

In the 4th quarter, I didn't see one ounce of separation by the WRs. Jones had to force the ball into covered receivers. The OL played poorly as well. The interception was because Eleumenor missed his block and Jones' hand was hit.

It's real easy to just blame the QB. But a QB is only as good as his supporting cast and that's something that is always lost when a team loses a game. Jones had risen to 12th in QBR but a variety of factors led to him playing a poor game. It happens ....

No problem. We don't need to agree.

Trench

There is a very good video on Dan Schnier on Twitter which I don't know how to post but it clearly identifies a couple plays where Hines is locked on the target from the get go and the defender reads his eyes and makes a good play to prevent the completion. It's clear as day he cannot "fix" this habit. I'd love to see what the other 2 QBs can do with the weapons we have

LennG

Quoten the 4th quarter, I didn't see one ounce of separation by the WRs. Jones had to force the ball into covered receivers. The OL played poorly as well. The interception was because Eleumenor missed his block and Jones' hand was hit.

Still the same old, same old, Ted. It's never Jones's fault, always someone else's. Pity you can't see the same thing as everyone else.
You have stressed this 'no separation' for years now. Even if there were separation, Jones was so far off the targets most times, it wouldn't have mattered.
Just keep sticking with it's never his fault, and you'll always be satisfied while the rest of us cry for a legitimate QB back there.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Messiah717

You also need to give receivers a chance to get separation. 

Trench

Just read a stat:

Devito - 8 TD passes in 6 starts last year

Jones - 8 TD passes in his last 13 starts

files58

"In the 4th quarter, I didn't see one ounce of separation by the WRs. Jones had to force the ball into covered receivers. The OL played poorly as well. The interception was because Eleumenor missed his block and Jones' hand was hit."

There's a phrase attributed to QB's "he can throw a receiver open". Very many times around the league we see very tight coverage but still a pass is completed because of ball placement by the QB. I recall two incompletes to Slayton because those respective passes were not placed properly. On the int the ball should have been thrown through the back of the endzone before his hand was hit. He doesn't react quickly enough to scrambled/broken down plays.

T200

Quote from: todge on October 14, 2024, 02:59:20 PMNo "we" cannot finally agree. Why is it so important to you that others here support your endless campaign against Jones?

He made plays to help his team win. Our QB didn't.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

T200

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on October 14, 2024, 02:44:45 PMMy biggest fear: we cut him, draft a rookie that "might or might not" work out for the Giants...then watch DJ go to a Midwest team and flourish like Sam Darnold, with a little Brady mixed in

Let him.

I'd rather he goes somewhere else and plays better. It ain't happening here and I don't want to waste more seasons hoping Santa Claus comes down the MetLife chimney.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: