News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can we finally agree?

Started by Trench, October 13, 2024, 11:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trench

Quote from: todge on October 15, 2024, 11:02:27 AM... and your point is? Please stop trying to sell us your claim that DeVito is as good, if not better, than Jones. Anyone can cherry pick stats to support a weak argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not "trying" to sell you I can assure. I am pointing out a fact. Devito has more TDs than Jones. He played better last year than jones has this year - especially at home.

todge

Quote from: Trench on October 15, 2024, 03:53:02 PMI'm not "trying" to sell you I can assure. I am pointing out a fact. Devito has more TDs than Jones. He played better last year than jones has this year - especially at home.
DeVito played better last year than Jones has this year? Daboll himself praised Jones and said he was "locked in" DeVito was benched after five games. He's been on the inactive list the entire year as the emergency 3rd QB. If he's so good, then why haven't the coaches turned to him? Why did the Giants sign Drew Lock as the backup?

Scoring more TDs are a function of many factors. This isn't fantasy football.

MrGap92

Quote from: todge on October 15, 2024, 04:36:25 PMDeVito played better last year than Jones has this year? Daboll himself praised Jones and said he was "locked in" DeVito was benched after five games. He's been on the inactive list the entire year as the emergency 3rd QB. If he's so good, then why haven't the coaches turned to him? Why did the Giants sign Drew Lock as the backup?

Do you honestly believe an NFL coach would publicly say his QB is not good?

Get real

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MrGap92 on October 15, 2024, 04:47:27 PMDo you honestly believe an NFL coach would publicly say his QB is not good?

Get real

Yeah, Bryce Young was Carolina's QB until he wasn't.

Ed Vette

Even the most ardent supporters have capitulated. Anyone who still supports Daniel Jones and makes excuses for him, and believes him to be anything other than a wildly inconsistent QB is either in denial or just doesn't want to be wrong.

If you have an elite weapon, what good does he serve if your QB can't get him the ball on a timely basis and can get him hurt in the process. I like Malik Nabors as a playmaker, but to pass on what was one of the best QB classes in the last 20 years was just foolish on Schoen's part.

Some of us here knew it was a bad decision to pay Daniel Jones and tag Saquon, which resulted in losing the team's best Offensive Weapon in an over a decade.

Reality check:

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/big-blue-plus/giants-qb-daniel-jones-s-contract-among-worst-in-nfl-today-01ja6rhdrk80
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gmo11

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 15, 2024, 07:13:31 PMEven the most ardent supporters have capitulated. Anyone who still supports Daniel Jones and makes excuses for him, and believes him to be anything other than a wildly inconsistent QB is either in denial or just doesn't want to be wrong.

If you have an elite weapon, what good does he serve if your QB can't get him the ball on a timely basis and can get him hurt in the process. I like Malik Nabors as a playmaker, but to pass on what was one of the best QB classes in the last 20 years was just foolish on Schoen's part.

Some of us here knew it was a bad decision to pay Daniel Jones and tag Saquon, which resulted in losing the team's best Offensive Weapon in an over a decade.

Reality check:

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/big-blue-plus/giants-qb-daniel-jones-s-contract-among-worst-in-nfl-today-01ja6rhdrk80

I agree with most of that....but they weren't in position to draft one of the top QBs this year.  It's a little bit of monday morning QB but if we're gonna say Schoen blew it I think it's fair to also say Nix has looked awful, and Penix hasn't played a snap.  Plus is like 26 years old.  JJ was hurt before the season even started so incomplete grade there.  And Maye only has had 1 start.  Given where they were picking they picked the best player.  They did try and trade up for Maye and if they could have gotten up to 2 for Daniels they would have done that but those 3 teams all needed a QB and were not going to trade.  So they "settled" for the best WR to come out in a long long time. 

They can get a QB next year.  Especially if Thomas is out a while and the season, as usual, goes into the tank.  And allllll of a sudden Daboll will be a genius again, Nabers will look unstoppable, Hyatt might get a pass or two thrown his direction when he's open.  And the offense will look like an actual offense.

Trench

Quote from: todge on October 15, 2024, 04:36:25 PMDeVito played better last year than Jones has this year? Daboll himself praised Jones and said he was "locked in" DeVito was benched after five games. He's been on the inactive list the entire year as the emergency 3rd QB. If he's so good, then why haven't the coaches turned to him? Why did the Giants sign Drew Lock as the backup?

I can't argue with the fact the coaches have him 3rd string. It's just in my opinion, the guy seemed so much more confident and I really liked how he saw the field. The issue I had with Devito was when he tried to put his head down and run too early is all - but he did improve in that aspect/speed of game stuff. He had some very very nice touch passes and he did throw TDs - something Jones can't consistently do.

You are RIGHT- Jones is overall better than Devito. But I think Devito can win some of these games that Jones just cannot. He showed us last year he was capable at least. To be honest, I just want to see someone else at this point. I root like hell for Jones every week and I usually come away more disappointed than satisfied with his overall play is all.

coggs

If he was slightly below average by NFL standards, they are 5-1.  If he was "good" by NFL standards, they are a SB contender.

Trench

Steelers may bench their QB - and they have a 4-2 record. I wonder how long we will take to do the same.

T200

Quote from: Trench on October 15, 2024, 08:04:43 PMSteelers may bench their QB - and they have a 4-2 record. I wonder how long we will take to do the same.
They aren't paying Fields 40 million.

Schoen and Daboll have to show Mara that Jones is not the answer so they can justify taking the cap hit to cut him next season.

Of course, the risk in continuing to play him, the injury factor increases each week.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 15, 2024, 07:24:32 PMI agree with most of that....but they weren't in position to draft one of the top QBs this year.  It's a little bit of monday morning QB but if we're gonna say Schoen blew it I think it's fair to also say Nix has looked awful, and Penix hasn't played a snap.  Plus is like 26 years old.  JJ was hurt before the season even started so incomplete grade there.  And Maye only has had 1 start.  Given where they were picking they picked the best player.  They did try and trade up for Maye and if they could have gotten up to 2 for Daniels they would have done that but those 3 teams all needed a QB and were not going to trade.  So they "settled" for the best WR to come out in a long long time. 

They can get a QB next year.  Especially if Thomas is out a while and the season, as usual, goes into the tank.  And allllll of a sudden Daboll will be a genius again, Nabers will look unstoppable, Hyatt might get a pass or two thrown his direction when he's open.  And the offense will look like an actual offense.
I've seen most of Nix's games and he has improved and will be an excellent QB. If they really wanted to they would have made the trade for Drake Maye. They didn't like the cost. I would have loved to have Bo Nix and although he's been slammed by most wanna be pundits, let's see how his career turns out.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gmo11

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 15, 2024, 08:23:50 PMI've seen most of Nix's games and he has improved and will be an excellent QB. If they really wanted to they would have made the trade for Drake Maye. They didn't like the cost. I would have loved to have Bo Nix and although he's been slammed by most wanna be pundits, let's see how his career turns out.

NE never really entertained a trade.  yea if the Giants offered 5 first round picks they of course have to take it but that tanks the Giants for a guy that is at best the 3rd best QB in this draft and in my unprofessional opinion worse than that.

I thought Nix would be better than he's looked so far too.  But what he's shown so far has been really bad.  He's a rookie so there's every chance he turns into a good QB but I wouldn't blast the GM for that one based on current results.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 15, 2024, 08:51:28 PMNE never really entertained a trade.  yea if the Giants offered 5 first round picks they of course have to take it but that tanks the Giants for a guy that is at best the 3rd best QB in this draft and in my unprofessional opinion worse than that.

I thought Nix would be better than he's looked so far too.  But what he's shown so far has been really bad.  He's a rookie so there's every chance he turns into a good QB but I wouldn't blast the GM for that one based on current results.
Five first round picks?
Don't believe the narrative. That club has bad players and a QB wasn't going to save it, unlike Washington where Daniels is getting more than deserved credit. It may have taken two firsts to get him but they didn't want to do it because Jones needed one last chance. So they fortified the Oline, brought in a good Oline Coach and got him a weapon. They lost their best Offensive Player to support Jones because in the eyes of ownership, he looks the part. Yup, I said it.

The Giants will win 6-7 games this season because an inconsistent QB has good games. Remember what Gettleman said about QB Hell? We're in it. Don't expect them to back up the truck for Shedeur Sanders. Wash, rinse and repeat to 2026 or sign Kirk Cousins.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

sxdxca38

Quote from: Trench on October 13, 2024, 11:06:29 PMDaniel Jones is a good person, a good Giant. Team guy.

Can we all agree once and for all that he is NOT the QB of our future?

His performance tonight on the national stage was abysmal and he did nothing to propel his team. This man hasn't thrown a TD pass at home in 2 years, cannot extend a drive at home, and is now 1-15 on national tv.

To all my Jones fans, I respectfully ask have we finally seen enough?

Daniel Jones last 4 games were

67% 6 TD 1 Int 96 RTG

It's amazing to me that after he has one bad game the wolves have all come out.

I believe it's presumptuous to make the claim that he's not the QB of the future just yet.

The balanced and reasonable approach is to see what we have after the season.

11 more games to go

Gmo11

Quote from: sxdxca38 on October 16, 2024, 12:12:47 PMDaniel Jones last 4 games were

67% 6 TD 1 Int 96 RTG

It's amazing to me that after he has one bad game the wolves have all come out.

I believe it's presumptuous to make the claim that he's not the QB of the future just yet.

The balanced and reasonable approach is to see what we have after the season.

11 more games to go

We've done that 5 times. At the end of every season the answer is the same. He's not the guy.