News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

2-4 - Currently Draft Between Around 9th - 13th

Started by Philosophers, October 14, 2024, 12:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

In case anyone is curious.  I know I am as I watch things unfold.

sooners56

Keep hearing it's not a good QB draft or deep draft. A stud QB would do wonders for this team.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on October 14, 2024, 12:17:26 PMIn case anyone is curious.  I know I am as I watch things unfold.
I'm still undecided on getting a journeyman this offseason and going all in for 2026 or getting a guy this year but a lot of that depends on draft placement.

VanPelt

According to Mel Kiper, almost all of the top 5 QBs should still be there. At least 3 of the top 5.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 14, 2024, 12:40:24 PMI'm still undecided on getting a journeyman this offseason and going all in for 2026 or getting a guy this year but a lot of that depends on draft placement.

Funny as I am wondering if the Giants want to go all in for Arch Manning in 2026 (assuming he develops)and fo BPA in 2025 to get more top talent.

Drafting around 12th can get them a top 3 tech DT or CB or another WR or TE.

Philosophers

Quote from: sooners56 on October 14, 2024, 12:22:57 PMKeep hearing it's not a good QB draft or deep draft. A stud QB would do wonders for this team.

I think it's a two horse race now between Shedeur Sanders and Jalen Milroe.  Others like Dillon Gabriel have had splash moments (Gabriel's great play against Ohio State) so if they build, they can enter the discussion.  Same with Cam Ward of Miami.  Others like Carson Beck, Jaxon Dart are fading due to uneven games against top opponents.

Folks like Carson Beck but his release on touch passes takes forever to get out of his hands.  Cam Ward has a throwing motion I dont love.

killarich

I know we are 2-4 .... but a win vs the Eagles gets us back in the hunt

Not saying we shouldn't be looking into the draft ..... But I am happy the season isn't over just yet

Philosophers

Quote from: killarich on October 14, 2024, 01:15:42 PMI know we are 2-4 .... but a win vs the Eagles gets us back in the hunt

Not saying we shouldn't be looking into the draft ..... But I am happy the season isn't over just yet

I agree.  Doing it just for informational purposes.

kingm56

Quote from: killarich on October 14, 2024, 01:15:42 PMI know we are 2-4 .... but a win vs the Eagles gets us back in the hunt

Back in the hunt for what?  The Giants offense isn't good enough to compete with the real playoff contenders. The Eagles are healthy now and Wash offense remains one of the NFLs best behind Daniels.  I don't see how a win improves the Giants chances against playoff caliber teams.  For heavens sake, we barely score 15 PPG. 

katkavage

With the quality of the NFC North, top to bottom, and two good teams in the NFC South, they pretty much have to win the division outright to get in the playoffs this year. They are already 0-2 in the division. They must beat Philly on Sunday or it's over in my opinion.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on October 14, 2024, 12:52:27 PMFunny as I am wondering if the Giants want to go all in for Arch Manning in 2026 (assuming he develops)and fo BPA in 2025 to get more top talent.

Drafting around 12th can get them a top 3 tech DT or CB or another WR or TE.

If the plan is really to go all in for Arch Manning in 2026 then they shouldn't be using their first round pick in 2025. They should be trying to trade out of it for a one in 2026 to assure they can move up if they need to. They should also be considering dumping players for 2026 picks both this year and next.

Fans may not like the sound of all this, and that's understandable. But you can't truly "go all in" for a single player who is likely to be the top pick in the draft after this next one without building meaningful draft capital for that year at the expense of current assets (ie tanking). Anything short of that and that's not a true "all-in" strategy. That's more crossing fingers and hoping than it is actually maxing out the odds of that outcome.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 14, 2024, 02:51:59 PMIf the plan is really to go all in for Arch Manning in 2026 then they shouldn't be using their first round pick in 2025. They should be trying to trade out of it for a one in 2026 to assure they can move up if they need to. They should also be considering dumping players for 2026 picks both this year and next.

Fans may not like the sound of all this, and that's understandable. But you can't truly "go all in" for a single player who is likely to be the top pick in the draft after this next one without building meaningful draft capital for that year at the expense of current assets (ie tanking). Anything short of that and that's not a true "all-in" strategy. That's more crossing fingers and hoping than it is actually maxing out the odds of that outcome.

For me, it is far too early in his college career to be making plans on how to draft Arch Manning.  But if there is no QB they love in the 2025 draft, assuming they are moving on from DJ, I am not averse to signing a FA stopgap and hoping for better pickings in the 2026 draft.  For which, Arch or no Arch, stockpiling some 2026 picks would be good.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AYM

Quote from: Philosophers on October 14, 2024, 12:58:00 PMI think it's a two horse race now between Shedeur Sanders and Jalen Milroe.  Others like Dillon Gabriel have had splash moments (Gabriel's great play against Ohio State) so if they build, they can enter the discussion.  Same with Cam Ward of Miami.  Others like Carson Beck, Jaxon Dart are fading due to uneven games against top opponents.

Folks like Carson Beck but his release on touch passes takes forever to get out of his hands.  Cam Ward has a throwing motion I dont love.

So basically Jalen Milroe. There's no way Mara would allow a Sanders pick; I'd be surprised if he'd even be on the board.

zephirus

I don't like to throw in the towel on a season so soon but last night might have been the death-knell for me.  Had the Giants clawed back to 3-3 behind a strong offensive performance I would hold out hope on post-season aspirations and such.  But now we would need to win 2 consecutive games just to get the .500 mark at the mid-way point of the season.  Tall task against Philly and the Steelers. 

With very rare exception - teams don't intentionally tank.  The players are always trying.  The head coach or decision-maker can put them behind the 8-ball by starting backup QBs and other tactics they do under the ruse of "we have to see what we have in so-and-so", but the players and coaches are generally trying to win with what they have out there.  The Giants have been competitive in every game except Minnesota.  I expect they'll bumble their way into a few more wins before all is said and done.  Which is why I don't think we're going to be drafting in the top 5 and primed for a shoo-in QB (if one even existed in the upcoming class). 

files58

I have an eye on Brady Cook from Missouri. I don't think a high round 1 pick would be necessary to get him. SEC experience, and I've watched him some. It's not so much what they do in college, but what skills they have that can be developed by Daboll. Jones may have skill but there is a disconnect between brain and body.