News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Ranking NFL head coaches on the hot seat

Started by MightyGiants, October 17, 2024, 10:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

MightyGiants

By Ralph Vacchiano

Mike McCarthy
Dallas Cowboys (3-3)

Doug Pederson
Jacksonville Jaguars (1-5)

Dennis Allen
New Orleans Saints (2-4)

Brian Daboll
New York Giants (2-4)

Zac Taylor
Cincinnati Bengals (2-4)

Nick Sirianni
Philadelphia Eagles (3-2)

Kevin Stefanski
Cleveland Browns (1-5)

You can see the rankings and explanations here.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/nfl-head-coaches-hot-seat-ranking
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

QuoteThat's embarrassing, and if it continues, it could be enough to force co-owner John Mara to make a change he really doesn't want to make. Daboll will get the full season and he probably doesn't even need to make the playoffs to survive.

If that's the case, is he really on the hot seat?  :-??
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on October 17, 2024, 10:13:39 AMIf that's the case, is he really on the hot seat?  :-??
I don't think he is at this point. This is all Tommy DeVito's fault. Otherwise, Jayden Daniels would be here and the Giants would be 5-1.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on October 17, 2024, 10:13:39 AMIf that's the case, is he really on the hot seat?  :-??

Tim,

I think it's worth adding more context:

QuoteBut Daboll was also supposed to bring an offensive revival, and that hasn't exactly worked out. Quarterback Daniel Jones is playing better, but not nearly well enough. Every offensive possession feels like such an uphill climb. It's particularly bad at home where the Giants are 0-3, averaging 9.3 points per game and have scored just one touchdown.

That's embarrassing, and if it continues, it could be enough to force co-owner John Mara to make a change he really doesn't want to make. Daboll will get the full season and he probably doesn't even need to make the playoffs to survive. But there has to be some obvious improvement, especially on offense. It would really help if he could get some better play from Jones.

Essentially, Ralph is saying that to be an HC with an offensive background to have an offense performing so poorly...
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 17, 2024, 10:19:05 AMTim,

I think it's worth adding more context:

Essentially, Ralph is saying that to be an HC with an offensive background to have an offense performing so poorly...
Yes, Rich, I saw all of that. But the takeaway is what I quoted.

He's had to make chicken salad from the chicken 💩 he inherited from Gettleman. While he didn't accomplish that, he sure made it more palatable enough to convince Mara that Jones was worth a new deal.

QuoteDaboll will get the full season and he probably doesn't even need to make the playoffs to survive.

This tells me he's not on the hot seat.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

katkavage

I think Daboll's seat is warm. Not hot. If everything goes south the rest of the year it will get hotter. I think everyone in the NFL knows that he is hamstrung most of all by mediocre to bad QB play. But playing the good soldier and not insisting that position be upgraded might cost him his job. And I am far from convinced Daboll is a good head coach. I know he is a good offensive coordinator but so many of those can't transition to head coaching.

Jclayton92

kingm56

Quote from: katkavage on October 17, 2024, 12:59:19 PMI think Daboll's seat is warm. Not hot. If everything goes south the rest of the year it will get hotter. I think everyone in the NFL knows that he is hamstrung most of all by mediocre to bad QB play. But playing the good soldier and not insisting that position be upgraded might cost him his job. And I am far from convinced Daboll is a good head coach. I know he is a good offensive coordinator but so many of those can't transition to head coaching.

I agree, Kat...it's warm, not hot.  He gets a min of another year with a new QB...

ralphpal1

EDjohnst1981

The seat might be warm but I don't think it's hot. As Ralph points out, " It would really help if he could get some better play from Jones".

I'm sure the powers that be understand it's not all Dabs but he loses the locker room and/or has a Judge like meltdown, he could be in bother.

nb587

At this time, I don't even see how its a conversation.  He was coach of the year taking a bad team and winning a playoff game on the road.  Last year, he once again had a bad team and probably had a better record than the talent warranted considering the injuries and lack of depth.  This season has more talent than previously but not at the most important position. 

AZGiantFan

Quote from: nb587 on October 17, 2024, 08:37:10 PMAt this time, I don't even see how its a conversation.  He was coach of the year taking a bad team and winning a playoff game on the road.  Last year, he once again had a bad team and probably had a better record than the talent warranted considering the injuries and lack of depth.  This season has more talent than previously but not at the most important position. 

My biggest gripe is the way he runs training camp and starts the season with a team that is unprepared to compete. 

And if he's going to call plays I think he should have a designated 'game manager' coach to do some of the things a HC would do if he wasn't occupied calling plays with his nose in the play sheet.  The obvious candidate is Kafka, and it would be good experience for him if he ever becomes a HC.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll