News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants have second-most dropped passes entering Week 7

Started by MightyGiants, October 17, 2024, 11:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Another area that can be pointed to is the many dropped passes. The Giants have dropped 16 passes this season, the second-most in the NFL through six weeks behind only the Cleveland Browns (19).

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2024/10/17/new-york-giants-have-second-most-dropped-passes-entering-week-7/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Obsession

Darn,

If we still had Engram we would at least lead the league in something.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

todge

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 17, 2024, 11:04:59 AMAnother area that can be pointed to is the many dropped passes. The Giants have dropped 16 passes this season, the second-most in the NFL through six weeks behind only the Cleveland Browns (19).

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2024/10/17/new-york-giants-have-second-most-dropped-passes-entering-week-7/
Slayton has never had good hands. As good as Nabors is, he also has a history of drops. It will be interesting to see if they resign the former.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDToomer

Quote from: Giant Obsession on October 17, 2024, 12:20:38 PMDarn,

If we still had Engram we would at least lead the league in something.

Actually he has zero drops so far this season His drop percentage went from 8.2% his final year with the Giants to 5.1% in 2022 and 4.9% in 2021.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Ed Vette

Looks like nobody thinks the location and timing of the pass is a factor in drops. It's always the Receiver.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

AI Overview

Yes, a quarterback can be partially responsible for dropped passes, even though the receiver technically catches the ball, as their throwing accuracy, ball placement, and timing of the throw can significantly impact a receiver's ability to secure the catch; meaning if the quarterback throws a ball poorly, it can make it harder for the receiver to make a clean catch, potentially leading to a dropped pass.

Key points about a quarterback's role in dropped passes:
Ball placement:
If a quarterback throws the ball too high, too low, or too far in front of the receiver, it can make it difficult for the receiver to control the ball and lead to a drop.
Throwing velocity:
A throw that is too strong or too soft can also affect the receiver's ability to secure the catch.
Timing:
If the quarterback doesn't release the ball at the right moment, it can disrupt the receiver's route and make it harder to make a clean catch.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

sxdxca38

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 17, 2024, 10:18:35 PMLooks like nobody thinks the location and timing of the pass is a factor in drops. It's always the Receiver.

Hi Ed,

I think we've seen more than a few balls hit Wan'dale and Slayton right in the hands, and sometimes in the chest and they have dropped it. More importantly this has happened on 3rd down which have killed more than a few drives.

I love Malik, but even he has dropped a few that have hit him right in the hands, even on 4th down.

Ed Vette

Quote from: sxdxca38 on October 17, 2024, 10:50:21 PMHi Ed,

I think we've seen more than a few balls hit Wan'dale and Slayton right in the hands, and sometimes in the chest and they have dropped it. More importantly this has happened on 3rd down which have killed more than a few drives.

I love Malik, but even he has dropped a few that have hit him right in the hands, even on 4th down.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-player-accuracy-leaders-2023-to-2024
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: sxdxca38 on October 17, 2024, 10:50:21 PMHi Ed,

Slayton on the 2 pt conversion and Nabers on the 4th down play.  Those 2 plays could be the difference between 2-4 and 4-2.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 17, 2024, 10:18:35 PMLooks like nobody thinks the location and timing of the pass is a factor in drops. It's always the Receiver.
I do. Just didn't want to seem like I'm targeting DJ... there's enough already.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

sxdxca38

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 17, 2024, 11:11:30 PMhttps://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-player-accuracy-leaders-2023-to-2024
Quote from: AZGiantFan on October 17, 2024, 11:25:28 PMSlayton on the 2 pt conversion and Nabers on the 4th down play.  Those 2 plays could be the difference between 2-4 and 4-2.

I agree, and I'll add to your line of reasoning that it wasn't just one 4th and 5, but two 4th downplays that Malik dropped the pass.

This team could easily be 4-2 right now as you said.