News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A day of flushing...in more ways than one

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, October 17, 2024, 11:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Ahhh, lucky me. Tomorrow morning I get hosed (colonoscopy) and can only have clear liquids all day, and no food. I also have to drink a gallon of GaviLyte (super-duper laxative...aka, crap exploding diarrhea all day, til it's clear, but still coming out...yay)

At my age, I am not supposed to have a colonoscopy anymore, but because my father at the age of 89 had colon cancer (which he beat), then the doc says, "could happen to me"; hence, I'm in for a day of hell. Thankfully, I have a good book. Not sure whether I can play the guitar while perched on the throne, but I might give it a try

Flushing my intestines and flushing the porcelain throne  :crazy:

The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

Good for you for taking a proactive approach Ric, especially since you're in a higher risk group. I've had three so far, all with good results, and I think the discomfort of the prep is well worth it in the end.;)  Whether you get peace of mind from a good result, or an early start on a highly treatable disease is a net positive. Good luck with your  :poo:  procedure.

Jolly Blue Giant

Thanks guys, I've had a brutal few weeks and it isn't over. Three weeks ago I had Mohs surgery on the inside corner of my eye...and to top it off, the Mohs surgeon said, "I don't like the look of that spot on your cheek...I'm going to biopsy it". It came back positive for Squamous cell carcinoma (cancer), so that had to come out as well. For any of you who have gone through Mohs surgery, you know that you are not allowed to leave the medical recliner until the lab results come back and it's discovered they got it all. Unfortunately for me, it took 4 times, and each time they had to renumb me so I repeatedly had to get shots under my eyeball which was exceedingly painful. But he finally got it all

Then, on to the plastic surgeon to rebuild by eye socket. Luckily, they knocked me out this time. They had to borrow skin above my eyelid to graft to my orbital area, and sew up my cheek. I was hideous for a couple weeks, but it's finally starting to look normal (which isn't all that great in the first place, but I digress) and I no longer have a black eye with scabs all over it

Then I had a regular checkup early this week from by dermatologist and he didn't like the look of a spot on top of my head. I got the news this morning that it tested positive for squamous, so I go in to have it removed in another couple weeks

Next week I have to go to the hospital for an annual CATscan to check my lungs as I am a smoker (tried to quit, can't)...and of course, tomorrow I get the hose up the butt day  :poo:

Bottom line: It's hell to get old  :( 
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

Sem

Yes, getting old has its challenges (and perks too). But you sound like you're on top of things Ric, and are actively making decisions regarding your health. Unlike my brother-in-law who refused to see a doctor or dentist once he left home and got married, because he was uncomfortable getting shots and exams. He passed away last summer from colon cancer. His advice on his deathbed - "I was stupid. See your doctor and keep up with your annual health screenings." So sad it ended that way for him.

LennG

Good luck with the colonoscopy  Ric. I've been thru this many times already as my doctor is top of his field in Gastro stuff. Just to make you feel a little bit better, several years ago, I did the prep and ate nothing for the day before and when I got to the office for my colonoscopy, I found out I was a day early, it was rescheduled for the next day and we had forgotten about it, so another day on clear liquids.

And, believe me, I know exactly how you feel about skin cancers. As you probably know, I have had 4 surgeries to remove melanomas and I visit the dermatologist every 3 months I still get nervous every time we go. At least I know, or hope, that because I go so often if they do find something it is early, and the surgery to remove it, though worrisome, usually goes well.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on October 17, 2024, 02:06:26 PMGood luck with the colonoscopy  Ric. I've been thru this many times already as my doctor is top of his field in Gastro stuff. Just to make you feel a little bit better, several years ago, I did the prep and ate nothing for the day before and when I got to the office for my colonoscopy, I found out I was a day early, it was rescheduled for the next day and we had forgotten about it, so another day on clear liquids.

And, believe me, I know exactly how you feel about skin cancers. As you probably know, I have had 4 surgeries to remove melanomas and I visit the dermatologist every 3 months I still get nervous every time we go. At least I know, or hope, that because I go so often if they do find something it is early, and the surgery to remove it, though worrisome, usually goes well.

I know you've gone through it a lot Lenn, as we've talked about it. Fair skin sucks...especially if you grew up before sunscreen and spent every second of the day outside (when school was out of course). I worked in the hayfield and on days we weren't putting in hay, I spent on the river either fishing, camping, or canoeing...and of course, water is like a mirror and magnifying glass to make sure the skin soaks up as much radiation as possible. Hence like you, now when I'm outside, I hunt for shade while wearing a hat and a long sleeve shirt

I had a friend who got her colonoscopy day wrong as well. She was a week early. When she found out, she cried her eyes out and they got her in anyway. I can't imagine doing the flush two days in a row. I'm fricken starving and all I can have is water

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on October 17, 2024, 03:28:36 PMI know you've gone through it a lot Lenn, as we've talked about it. Fair skin sucks...especially if you grew up before sunscreen and spent every second of the day outside (when school was out of course). I worked in the hayfield and on days we weren't putting in hay, I spent on the river either fishing, camping, or canoeing...and of course, water is like a mirror and magnifying glass to make sure the skin soaks up as much radiation as possible. Hence like you, now when I'm outside, I hunt for shade while wearing a hat and a long sleeve shirt

I had a friend who got her colonoscopy day wrong as well. She was a week early. When she found out, she cried her eyes out and they got her in anyway. I can't imagine doing the flush two days in a row. I'm fricken starving and all I can have is water

Sure, we thought Coppertone #4 was all we needed. and don't forget the baby oil to make you 'bronze', Yeah right? We sure are paying for that stupidity these days.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on October 17, 2024, 12:39:18 PMThanks guys, I've had a brutal few weeks and it isn't over. Three weeks ago I had Mohs surgery on the inside corner of my eye...and to top it off, the Mohs surgeon said, "I don't like the look of that spot on your cheek...I'm going to biopsy it". It came back positive for Squamous cell carcinoma (cancer), so that had to come out as well. For any of you who have gone through Mohs surgery, you know that you are not allowed to leave the medical recliner until the lab results come back and it's discovered they got it all. Unfortunately for me, it took 4 times, and each time they had to renumb me so I repeatedly had to get shots under my eyeball which was exceedingly painful. But he finally got it all

Then, on to the plastic surgeon to rebuild by eye socket. Luckily, they knocked me out this time. They had to borrow skin above my eyelid to graft to my orbital area, and sew up my cheek. I was hideous for a couple weeks, but it's finally starting to look normal (which isn't all that great in the first place, but I digress) and I no longer have a black eye with scabs all over it

Then I had a regular checkup early this week from by dermatologist and he didn't like the look of a spot on top of my head. I got the news this morning that it tested positive for squamous, so I go in to have it removed in another couple weeks

Next week I have to go to the hospital for an annual CATscan to check my lungs as I am a smoker (tried to quit, can't)...and of course, tomorrow I get the hose up the butt day  :poo:

Bottom line: It's hell to get old  :(
Holy Crap, Ric! No pun intended. You should put sunscreen on every day before leaving the house and wear a hat.

I smoked about 24 years ago. Over a pack a day and cigars. My brother had twin girls and they were about 18 months old at the time. Linda and I would go every weekend to see them. On the 30 minute drive we would chain smoke before we arrived because we didn't smoke in their house. I pick up my niece Jennifer and go to hug her and she puts on a face and pushes me away. That was the day I quit. You just have to stop and when you get cravings, tell yourself you're getting more oxygen to your brain. Then never light another cigarette again. Ever. Unless a comet or asteroid is heading towards earth to wipe out all civilization as we know it. Then I buy a carton of Parliament Box and a few Cohiba's.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

I agree Ed, if you, someone, anyone really wanted to stop, they can if their will is strong enough.

I also smoked about a pack a day, years ago. I think I've told this story, but when our son Wade was born, he had all sorts of medical issues, even to the point we weren't sure he would survive. I prayed that if Wade survived I would give up smoking for good. He is a healthy father of 4 now and I might have puffed one or two over the years, but I never forgot my promise.

Charlie Weiss