News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do the Giants have a QB controversy?

Started by DaveBrown74, October 22, 2023, 08:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Gman329 on October 23, 2023, 10:59:16 AMTyrod does one thing better than Jones: he cuts it loose.  Tyrod isn't nearly as fast as Jones - Jones would have taken some of those scrambles a longer way yesterday - and the accuracy is about the same.....but Tyrod is willing to take the shot upfield.  Maybe it's the security of being a backup veteran - Taylor has little/nothing to lose, while Jones worries that turnovers will cost him his job, so he plays it safe.  Maybe, just maybe, watching Tyrod operate will prove beneficial and we'll see DJ let it rip a little more when he returns. 
Hey, I can dream, can't I?

I totally agree. i think jones was just stuck in the mud. getting to sit out and catch his breath for a minute, and watching tyrod do things he can but hasnt been doing, should be a major wake up call to him. its been beaten to death but he needs to make better, faster decisions. it feels like every snap im yelling at the tv "GET RID OF IT!"

MightyGiants

Here are some takes by Bobby Skinner and a couple of long-time beat writers.   I will say that I think Bobby may have the more nuanced and better take.   Taylor's best hasn't been better than DJ's best, but Taylor's play has been better than DJ's worst.    That allows plenty of wiggle room in terms of interpretation.

To me, you have to consider that Jones is the starter.     To be Wally Pipped, Taylor would have had to put up impressive performances.  9 against Buffalo (who surrendered 29 yesterday against the lowly Pats) and 14 against the Commanders (who have been giving up 20 and who lost their best LB early in the game) aren't the sort of performances that get a starter benched.

Now as I said earlier, if the offense regresses when Jones returns, there is a different conversation to be had, and at that point, I think it's fair to say DJ's career as a starter could effectively be over.  Of course with what is starting to look like chronic neck issues, DJ's career could still be in jeopardy. 

https://x.com/BobbySkinner_/status/1716466925587357724?s=20

https://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1716416273154715719?s=20

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
Competition matters. Who the QB is playing with matters.

Pretending it doesn't, well that's foolish.

Don't take anything away from Tyrod Taylor. But don't use it to fuel the agenda against Daniel Jones.

Jones didn't even play yesterday and he's getting crushed today.
10:38 AM · Oct 23, 2023
·
 Views

https://x.com/art_stapleton/status/1716464139491491963?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Daniel Jones who has trained and practiced with the first team and has played in five games with the starters would certainly have an edge over Tyrod Taylor who has practiced for and played two games. So spare me the Jones was better in two starts narrative. We also don't know how Jones would have played or if he would have won or lost against Washington.

The fact is that Tyrod improved over two games and the Giants won. The fact is that there were no Defensive touchdowns padding stats. The fact is that at least six and maybe ten points were taken off the board due to others failures. So, 19 or 24 points. A decent day after just two starts.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 23, 2023, 11:34:39 AMDaniel Jones who has trained and practiced with the first team and has played in five games with the starters would certainly have an edge over Tyrod Taylor who has practiced for and played two games. So spare me the Jones was better in two starts narrative. We also don't know how Jones would have played or if he would have won or lost against Washington.

The fact is that Tyrod improved over two games and the Giants won. The fact is that there were no Defensive touchdowns padding stats. The fact is that at least six and maybe ten points were taken off the board due to others failures. So, 19 or 24 points. A decent day after just two starts.

There was no recent tape on Tyrod Taylor, which also puts the defense at a disadvantage.  Plus, in camp, Taylor took plenty of snaps with Hyatt.  Robinson was on PUP so neither DJ nor Taylor took snaps with him.  The only receivers Jones would have had an advantage with would be Slayton and Waller.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 23, 2023, 11:45:59 AMThere was no recent tape on Tyrod Taylor, which also puts the defense at a disadvantage.  Plus, in camp, Taylor took plenty of snaps with Hyatt.  Robinson was on PUP so neither DJ nor Taylor took snaps with him.  The only receivers Jones would have had an advantage with would be Slayton and Waller.   
Jones has 58 starts in 5 years and Taylor 9. Jones has trained for and practiced for and played in 21 starts in this Offense and Taylor 2.

https://x.com/nickfalato/status/1716478343766475198?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 23, 2023, 12:01:27 PMJones has 58 starts in 5 years and Taylor 9. Jones has trained for and practiced for and played in 21 starts in this Offense and Taylor 2.

https://x.com/nickfalato/status/1716478343766475198?

its mind boggling that jones cant make this type of play. you see nearly the same situation all the time, yet he cant locate ANYONE. usually winds up running it for 2 yards and facefull of grass, or throws it out of bounds. he HAS to get it figured out.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 22, 2023, 08:30:48 PMIn 4 games and 3/4ths of a game Jones has 884 passing yards 2 tds 6 int and a 71.7 rating.

In 2 games and a 1/4th tyrod taylor has 571 passing yards 2 tds 0 int and a 95.4 rating. Not to mention he hadn't played any meaningful snaps in 2+ years.

Doesn't seem the controversial or even a question to me. One has the offense moving up and down the field with explosive plays and the other goes 3 and out consistently throwing short of the sticks.

Not to mention it's amazing how well the defense plays when they know there is a qb in that can move the offense and they know they have a chance.

Good summary.  Agree with that assessment.

BluesCruz

Taking a line from my favorite movie "Heaven Can Wait" about TT

"He's looking awfuly good"

TT moves more quickly and releases the ball much faster and with confidence.
He's not afraid to toss a high trajectory 50/50 ball and trust the receiver

Jones is terrified of throwing those

Jones was a mistake it appears.  He needs a very solid Oline to succeed
We dont have that.

I guess we go back to Jones but I'm dreading it at this point to be honest
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Uni

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 23, 2023, 11:01:40 AMI totally agree. i think jones was just stuck in the mud. getting to sit out and catch his breath for a minute, and watching tyrod do things he can but hasnt been doing, should be a major wake up call to him. its been beaten to death but he needs to make better, faster decisions. it feels like every snap im yelling at the tv "GET RID OF IT!"
I'm constantly screaming, "Throw the ball! Throw the ball!" at Jones

Uni

Quote from: BluesCruz on October 23, 2023, 01:35:06 PMJones was a mistake it appears.  He needs a very solid Oline to succeed
We dont have that.

I guess we go back to Jones but I'm dreading it at this point to be honest
That's what many of were saying when they inked the contract -- if your QB NEEDS a great OL , RB, and WR to succeed, why bother paying Jones $40 mil AAV? You can get a dozen QBs to plug into your great offense for far less. Plus, how are you paying for all those other great players when your cap is being dragged down by a mediocre at best QB? It's all a fantasy.

Jclayton92

So just to clarify in the event that Jones starts next week.

Do people think the line drastically changed in 2 weeks and are suddenly something they haven't been all season?

The reason I asked is because Taylor produced and a lot of the reasoning I'm seeing for his performance is that the line is somehow better despite having the same players + a guy off his couch.

So this coming weekend if Jones does start and we do end up with another sub 200 yard game and no explosive plays, will Oline be the blame again?

katkavage

I would be very hesitant to put Jones in next week. Not so much because Taylor has played well but that Jones is one hit away from a career ending neck injury. It's the neck that's a very serious issue going forward.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 23, 2023, 04:34:26 PMSo just to clarify in the event that Jones starts next week.

Do people think the line drastically changed in 2 weeks and are suddenly something they haven't been all season?

The reason I asked is because Taylor produced and a lot of the reasoning I'm seeing for his performance is that the line is somehow better despite having the same players + a guy off his couch.

So this coming weekend if Jones does start and we do end up with another sub 200 yard game and no explosive plays, will Oline be the blame again?

The notion that this rag-tag line, which led people to predict that Taylor would not make it through the Bills game conscious and on his own two feet, is all of a sudden good now, and that this sudden metamorphosis is entirely, 100% coincidental with the fact that there was a QB change, strains credibility to say the absolute least.

But ok.

Painter

Taylor has been a lifelong backup for good reason and that doesn't change because he completed a couple of deep throws to Hyatt on Sunday. Once Jones is cleared to return, he will again be and remain the starter unless and until he proves to be not worth more than the money guaranteed him through at least the 2024 season. Taylor, if he is still around, will have nothing whatever to do that decision. Indeed, the Giants generally unimpressive, too often failing Oline throughout much of the past decade may have a lot more to do with it. 

Cheers!