News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- MLB has moved All Star Game out of Atlanta

Started by Painter, April 02, 2021, 04:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 06, 2021, 01:54:13 PM
PETER DOOCY: Is the WH concerned MLB is moving their All Star Game to Colorado, where voting rules are very similar to Georgia?

PSAKI: Let me refute that. CO has same-day registration, universal mail voting... it's important to remember the context. The GA bill is built on a lie
I

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: Painter on April 06, 2021, 01:47:51 PM
120 pieces of legislation in 43 States related to ballot and voter eligibility all introduced by Republicans following Trump's defeat and the purple bruise they suffered in the Red State of Georgia, and not at any time before. That also is despite the fact that the most thorough post-election audits ever by State and Federal agencies and private entities concluded that there was no meaningful voter fraud in past election.

While it should be obvious to any honest, clear thinking person that, having the motive, the GOP is pursuing the opportunity to make it harder for poorer people and minority communities to vote. What also is obvious is that there are those recognize the fact but can't accept it and so must embrace a web of conspiracies. if they must, it's their sad problem, but they shouldn't expect the rest of us to walk into it.

During the 2016 campaign Trump said there was massive voter fraud and that the election was rigged.  After that election the "Voter Integrity Committee" was assembled and found an extremely small amount of isolated issues and the committee was quietly disbanded.  Somehow, at that point, even though the President himself had called the election rigged, there was none of this legislation. 

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 06, 2021, 02:14:33 PM
you have been pushing an apparently incorrect claim that CO has worse voter laws than Georgia based only on the number of early voter days.  How do you answer these points about universal mail-in voting and same-day registration?

Edit to add:  She got back to you

"Let me just refute the first point that you made," she replied. "Colorado allows you to register on election day. Colorado has voting by mail, where they send to a 100% of people in the state who are eligible applications to vote by mail. Ninety-four percent of people in Colorado voted by mail in the 2020 election.

They also allow for a range of materials to provide for the limited number of people who vote on election day," Psaki continued. "I think it's important to remember the context here of the Georgia legislation is built on a lie. There was no widespread fraud in the 2020 election. Georgia's top Republican election officials have acknowledged that repeatedly in interviews."

She added: "What there was, however, was record-setting turnout, especially by voters of color... What we're seeing here for politicians who didn't like the outcome, they're not changing their policies to win more votes, they're changing the rules to exclude more voters. And we certainly see the circumstances as different."
Pushing i stated I read it and didn

Painter

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 06, 2021, 02:28:21 PM
During the 2016 campaign Trump said there was massive voter fraud and that the election was rigged.  After that election the "Voter Integrity Committee" was assembled and found an extremely small amount of isolated issues and the committee was quietly disbanded.  Somehow, at that point, even though the President himself had called the election rigged, there was none of this legislation.

Of course not. Trump won the election and the GOP controlled both the Senate and the House so it had no pressing motive at the time. They simply went about catering to the interests of big Corporations and the wealthiest individuals among us in advancement of their strategy of converting our Democracy to a Plutocracy. But when they lost the House in the mid-term, we began to see it pandering more and more to racists, xenophobes, religious bigots, and delusional frightened white men.

And then, when Psychobaby lost the recent election and the GOP lost its Senate majority as a result of what happened in Georgia, and so it was gob-smacked by reality's early arrival, they chose a desperate Flail Mary tactic. Obviously, that should be a matter of concern to us all. Moreover, given the irrefutable facts of the matter, it is not just of concern but quite sad to encounter those who are unwilling or unable to accept the truth at the expense of their own credibility, decency, and self-respect. 

katkavage

Now I see Michigan republicans in the statehouse want to change their voting laws? How come we don't see republicans in, say, Alabama...or Oklahoma...or Utah...rushing to change their voting laws? Funny how it is. You lose, you have to change the rules of the game. At least that's what the Republicans are doing. But they are losing the game anyway. It's a lost cause, really, for them.

Bob In PA

Quote from: katkavage on April 14, 2021, 12:00:31 PM
Now I see Michigan republicans in the statehouse want to change their voting laws? How come we don't see republicans in, say, Alabama...or Oklahoma...or Utah...rushing to change their voting laws? Funny how it is. You lose, you have to change the rules of the game. At least that's what the Republicans are doing. But they are losing the game anyway. It's a lost cause, really, for them.
kat: That is one way to look at it.  Another is to ask why the Democrats (in the last election) changed the laws (or rules and regulations, etc.) in PA, MI, WI, etc., but didn't do so in NY, CA, IL, etc. 

There are two sides to every political coin. I don't mind (AT ALL) a person who sees both sides and THEN makes his or her choice. 

That is a person's right as an American citizen, so I respect whatever choice they make after considering the arguments of the competing parties.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 14, 2021, 12:05:48 PM
kat: That is one way to look at it.  Another is to ask why the Democrats (in the last election) changed the laws (or rules and regulations, etc.) in PA, MI, WI, etc., but didn't do so in NY, CA, IL, etc. 

There are two sides to every political coin. I don't mind (AT ALL) a person who sees both sides and THEN makes his or her choice. 

That is a person's right as an American citizen, so I respect whatever choice they make after considering the arguments of the competing parties.

Bob

Voting did change in NJ. Mail in and Drop Off had strict rules governing how someone could do this. It didn't make it harder to vote though. Anytime laws make it harder for a segment of the population to vote to create long lines in certain neighborhoods where certain people live, then that's bad. As I mentioned to you before, I'm ok with Government issued ID cards free to every citizen and every citizen should automatically be registered to vote the day they are age eligible. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 14, 2021, 01:21:52 PM
Voting did change in NJ. Mail in and Drop Off had strict rules governing how someone could do this. It didn't make it harder to vote though. Anytime laws make it harder for a segment of the population to vote to create long lines in certain neighborhoods where certain people live, then that's bad. As I mentioned to you before, I'm ok with Government issued ID cards free to every citizen and every citizen should automatically be registered to vote the day they are age eligible.
Ed: I had meant to ask you back then but forgot: would you theoretically favor/oppose/don't care a law that REQUIRED people to register to vote (with NO requirement to actually vote)?  Bob

Ed Vette

(null)
Not sure I understand. Require them to register? I support automatic registration at age 18. Instead require them to register but not mandatory to vote? How can making people vote mandatory be enforced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 14, 2021, 02:21:34 PM
Not sure I understand. Require them to register? I support automatic registration at age 18. Instead require them to register but not mandatory to vote? How can making people vote mandatory be enforced?
Ed: I'll restate my question. I believe automatic registration is fraught with difficulties. I'm asking if you would support a law that requires a person who attains Federal voting age to register to vote (like the requirement to register for the draft). I included the other part of my post to emphasize that (1) I'm not asking whether people should be required to vote; and (2) I personally believe that it is not constitutional to require registered voters to vote, because the decision not to vote (even if you are required to register) is a decision that should be respected and not interfered with. I hope I clarified what I'm asking.  Bob

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 14, 2021, 03:17:35 PM
Who funds the Conservative Clergy of Color?

How many members does it have?

What qualifies them as subject matter experts?

How do we know they are telling the truth?
Rich: I'll research that and answer when you answer the same questions concerning Black Lives Matter and Antifa.  Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 14, 2021, 03:31:20 PM
Rich: I'll research that and answer when you answer the same questions concerning Black Lives Matter and Antifa.  Bob

Bob,

Have I posted propaganda from BLM or Antifa?  Your evasiveness is telling (or is it damning).   In my opinion, the fact that the right constantly needs to employ dishonest tactics to support their positions speaks to the fundamental flaws of their positions.  Good positions don't need trickery or sleight of hand to garner support
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE