News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Everything COVID-19

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on July 20, 2020, 02:28:15 PM
But, as someone who is going to vote for the next leader of this country, shouldn't you know some of these answers? I know I would want to know the thinking of my candidate and not just follow blindly down some dark alley,w which is where Trump is steering this country and no one asks why, at least on the GOP side.

And, I believe the only opinion I gave was You just cannot keep living on past wrongs when science has shown that there are better ways now, and you say you can? WOW

Lenn:  I don't think so.  I agree that there was only a single opinion in your post.  As for your conclusion about my answer, I disagree because the single opinion contains an assumption with which I disagree.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 20, 2020, 02:52:02 PM
Lenn:  I don't think so.  I agree that there was only a single opinion in your post.  As for your conclusion about my answer, I disagree because the single opinion contains an assumption with which I disagree.  Bob

Can you explain why you disagree and with what.

You answered my questions with I don't know and that is fine if you don't. But, as I asked, shouldn't you know if you plan on voting for this man?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on July 20, 2020, 02:59:30 PM
Can you explain why you disagree and with what.

You answered my questions with I don't know and that is fine if you don't. But, as I asked, shouldn't you know if you plan on voting for this man?

Lenn: Your opinion is that "You just cannot keep living on past wrongs when science has shown that there are better ways now."  The assumption with which I disagree is that ONLY science is a consideration in making a decision. I I disagree with that assumption.  There are other factors too numerous to list, but the list include other scientific matters not specifically and directly related to the coronavirus. 

As for my answer to your question, I believe it was "I don't think so." With Joe Biden as the alternative, there is no contest in my book. If they replace Biden (which IMO is still possible) then I will reevaluate the whole thing.  But currently, my answer is "I don't think so" because IMO I've already done all that I believe is necessary at this time in order to reach what I consider to be a logical conclusion.

Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 20, 2020, 03:19:20 PM
Lenn: Your opinion is that "You just cannot keep living on past wrongs when science has shown that there are better ways now."  The assumption with which I disagree is that ONLY science is a consideration in making a decision. I I disagree with that assumption.  There are other factors too numerous to list, but the list include other scientific matters not specifically and directly related to the coronavirus. 

As for my answer to your question, I believe it was "I don't think so." With Joe Biden as the alternative, there is no contest in my book. If they replace Biden (which IMO is still possible) then I will reevaluate the whole thing.  But currently, my answer is "I don't think so" because IMO I've already done all that I believe is necessary at this time in order to reach what I consider to be a logical conclusion.

Bob

When is the last time you voted for a Democrat at the state or federal level?    I know you have repeatedly claimed that Job Biden is senile (even though no proof exists to support this assertion), but it appears to me that you are not willing to extend the same benefits of doubt that you extend to Donald Trump
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

So Georgia's Governor Kemp is suing Atlanta's Mayor Lance-Bottoms for issuing a mandatory mask order in Atlanta against the governor's directive. The governor says that people should not be mandated to do the right thing.  :-?? :what:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on July 20, 2020, 03:42:27 PM
So Georgia's Governor Kemp is suing Atlanta's Mayor Lance-Bottoms for issuing a mandatory mask order in Atlanta against the governor's directive. The governor says that people should not be mandated to do the right thing.  :-?? :what:

This is a prime example of the sort of mistake I talk about.   This governor's actions are literally costing people their lives.  There is no, other compelling reason financial or otherwise, that even remotely justifies these deadly actions
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 20, 2020, 05:00:51 PM
This is a prime example of the sort of mistake I talk about.   This governor's actions are literally costing people their lives
I agree but that's not a mistake. It's deliberate.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on July 20, 2020, 05:07:51 PM
I agree but that's not a mistake. It's deliberate.

and this is why I can't agree with any claims that the President and all the governors are doing the best they can for the American people
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 21, 2020, 08:30:44 AM
and this is why I can't agree with any claims that the President and all the governors are doing the best they can for the American people
I liken it to the battered wife syndrome. The husband abuses the wife, then apologizes and says he loves her and she still stays. He continues to do it and it's a vicious cycle that she can't get herself out of, despite those around her doing their best to help. Very difficult to get someone out of an abusive relationship.

MightyGiants

For those who really want to learn about Covid, this free class is a great way to do so.  It's designed for contact tracers, but you can watch until you have learned what you need. 

https://www.coursera.org/learn/covid-19-contact-tracing?edocomorp=covid-19-contact-tracing
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

The more things change, the more they stay the same

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article244267462.html

What did people say about wearing masks in the 1918 pandemic? It sounds familiar

"A different pandemic swept across the world a century ago, killing about 60 million people.

Schools and businesses closed, and many cities required people to wear face masks to slow the spread of the devastating influenza outbreak of 1918. And back then, just like today, some people balked at the idea of the government telling them what to do."

"Some protested and openly defied local orders as World War I raged in Europe, J. Alexander Navarro, assistant director at the University of Michigan

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on July 22, 2020, 06:52:15 AM
The more things change, the more they stay the same

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article244267462.html

What did people say about wearing masks in the 1918 pandemic? It sounds familiar

"A different pandemic swept across the world a century ago, killing about 60 million people.

Schools and businesses closed, and many cities required people to wear face masks to slow the spread of the devastating influenza outbreak of 1918. And back then, just like today, some people balked at the idea of the government telling them what to do."

"Some protested and openly defied local orders as World War I raged in Europe, J. Alexander Navarro, assistant director at the University of Michigan
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Stories relating to a study by Oxford (link below) raises an aspect of virology that I don't remember much talk about in the political arena.  Since there is nothing political in it, I offer if for your consideration.

There is apparently a theory (now probably more than just a theory) that certain vaccines we already have and take may explain, for example, why some people display almost no symptoms although they have covid.

That is only one of the possible takeaways, if this study is correct, IMO.

Bob

https://reaction.life/we-may-already-have-herd-immunity-an-interview-with-professor-sunetra-gupta/

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 22, 2020, 07:35:40 AM
Yeah, self-centeredness and a sense of entitlement have plagued man since likely the dawn of time.    In fairness, masks were less effective in 1918 than they are today.   Today, we know it to be a scientific fact that masks save lives, but in 1918 that couldn't be said.
I've had the fortune and blessing to live in both Asia and Europe for a number of years. We don't fully realize how the world sees us until we are on the outside looking in.

https://www.today.com/money/niagara-falls-boats-show-stark-difference-between-social-distancing-us-t187466

umassgrad

Quote from: T200 on July 22, 2020, 05:34:47 PM
I've had the fortune and blessing to live in both Asia and Europe for a number of years. We don't fully realize how the world sees us until we are on the outside looking in.

https://www.today.com/money/niagara-falls-boats-show-stark-difference-between-social-distancing-us-t187466
T200- me as well, I spent 25 years teaching internationally with stops in Shanghai, Cairo, Delhi, Taipei and Casablanca. I just moved back to the US last year.