News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Everything COVID-19

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 11, 2020, 10:47:29 AM
I have to confess, after I thought about it they were correct

We lack the data to understand how N.J. students might spread COVID-19 in schools, experts say

MORE

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/08/we-dont-have-the-data-to-understand-how-njs-school-kids-might-spread-coronavirus.html

Rich: You're right.

Since every school district might have a different plan and definitely has different details in implementing its plan, we don't know much (in the grand scheme of things).

This is why I continue emphasizing (1) it's too early to total the "final score" in comparing various responses; and (2) it's generally unfair to criticize of chief executives, all of whom are walking a tightrope without a net.

Bop
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

philo43

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 11, 2020, 11:27:27 AM
Rich: You're right.

Since every school district might have a different plan and definitely has different details in implementing its plan, we don't know much (in the grand scheme of things).

This is why I continue emphasizing (1) it's too early to total the "final score" in comparing various responses; and (2) it's generally unfair to criticize of chief executives, all of whom are walking a tightrope without a net.

Bop

My point was more that I (like many) saw little to no reason to be testing children.   This article points out the error in that thinking.  Had we been testing children all along we would have critical data that would be very helpful in the debate about school openings.   Sometimes I forget that testing is often for the benefit of public health knowledge rather than the immediate treatment (that I always know) or prevention of spread of a disease.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 11, 2020, 11:36:44 AM
My point was more that I (like many) saw little to no reason to be testing children.   This article points out the error in that thinking.  Had we been testing children all along we would have critical data that would be very helpful in the debate about school openings.   Sometimes I forget that testing is often for the benefit of public health knowledge rather than the immediate treatment (that I always know) or prevention of spread of a disease.

Rich: Don't forget.... IMO the circumstances changed.  Some earlier expert views were expressed during the reality that unlimited testing was not available (so the issue was who to test first).

As much more testing became available (and more was learned) the issue changed to whether or not to test children. 

Eventually, we'll confront the question of whether everyone should be tested periodically (as a matter of general principle).  This "stage" could of course be avoided if an effective vaccine (or cure) ever emerges.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Here is another less than ideal situation with school openings

Update: 826 students under quarantine in Cherokee after possible COVID-19 exposures
| 2 hours ago
By Maureen Downey, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

In the six days that Cherokee County schools have been in session, the north Georgia district has had to direct 826 students to quarantine due to possible exposure to COVID-19, along with 42 teachers.

In following health guidelines, districts inform parents when a student has has close contract with -- including sitting nearby -- someone who tests positive for COVID-19 and advises 14 day quarantines at home. Most of the exposures to students have come from classmates, although a few cases involve teachers and staff who tested positive.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

This is an outstanding review of the US Covid timeline
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

As the COVID 19 goes on and on, I am struck by one reality. 

People point to Europe (Asia etc) as a success as compared to us, the Federal government's set the standards and they seemingly work (in some cases).

These same people also seem to forget the cultural aspect of the countries.  England, Italy, Germany, Spain and France to name a few, are countries more willing to acquiesce to a central government control than the US. Mussolini, Hitler, Franco  anyone?  All these countries have had a dictator or King / Queen running the country. We haven't.

They are more liable to comply with national edicts. They have in the past and will in the future.  I have seen it first hand.

IMO you can not compare us (USA) to anyone else.

The US is very different, from before the Revolutionary war - through the 60's to now,  we don't bow down to the "man" as a rule.

IMO, people need to look at the response to COVID 19 (from citizens) through this prospective.

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on August 11, 2020, 04:35:10 PM
As the COVID 19 goes on and on, I am struck by one reality. 

People point to Europe (Asia etc) as a success as compared to us, the Federal government's set the standards and they seemingly work (in some cases).

These same people also seem to forget the cultural aspect of the countries.  England, Italy, Germany, Spain and France to name a few, are countries more willing to acquiesce to a central government control than the US. Mussolini, Hitler, Franco  anyone?  All these countries have had a dictator or King / Queen running the country. We haven't.

They are more liable to comply with national edicts. They have in the past and will in the future.  I have seen it first hand.

IMO you can not compare us (USA) to anyone else.

The US is very different, from before the Revolutionary war - through the 60's to now,  we don't bow down to the "man" as a rule.

IMO, people need to look at the response to COVID 19 (from citizens) through this prospective.

I don't know about that.  I have seen people on this board support Trump sending his secret police/storm troopers to attack Americans in DC, Portland and other cities. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

Can you stop stalking me - your obsession is unhealthy - to use your own words words /sarcasm/

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on August 11, 2020, 04:58:50 PM
Can you stop stalking me - your obsession is unhealthy - to use your own words words /sarcasm/

When you behave yourself I will respond to posts you put on my board.   When you act like a stalker I will call you out.   Of course seeing how this discussion is on thread I started and heavily participate in, you might want to avoid your blatantly hypocritical accusations.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 11, 2020, 04:52:39 PM
I don't know about that.  I have seen people on this board support Trump sending his secret police/storm troopers to attack Americans in DC, Portland and other cities.

Since you had to reply to me, I am going to to reply to you

Let's see we have at the most 5- 10, at the outside, (out of 300 million plus people) people on this board that supposedly support Trump and what ever you claim, and you are comparing it to all the the countries that I listed?

Wow. what a stretch to condemn Trump supporters.  Get your facts correct. Please, this is an embarrassment.

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on August 11, 2020, 05:12:14 PM
Since you had to reply to me, I am going to to reply to you

Let's see we have at the most 5- 10, at the outside, (out of 300 million plus people) people on this board that supposedly support Trump and what ever you claim, and you are comparing it to all the the countries that I listed?

Wow. what a stretch to condemn Trump supporters.  Get your facts correct. Please, this is an embarrassment.

Are you the only 3-5 Trump supporters in America that supported the central government's attacks on our citizens?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 11, 2020, 05:19:38 PM

Are you the only 3-5 Trump supporters in America that supported the central government's attacks on our citizens?

As you stated quite emphatically :

"When you behave yourself I will respond to posts you put on my board.   When you act like a stalker I will call you out.   Of course seeing how this discussion is on thread I started and heavily participate in, you might want to avoid your blatantly hypocritical accusations." 

So basically it is my way or the highway.  Not an area for free discussion, only those that agree with you

Are you obsessed, can't you not stop responding to me? Same as you asked me.  But of course, in your case it it is different.

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on August 11, 2020, 07:04:28 PM

Are you obsessed, can't you not stop responding to me? Same as you asked me.  But of course, in your case it it is different.

IMO[/b] you are so wrapped your ideology, you can not see anything else.

I will not respond, I am on my best behavior as I can.  You don't have to worry about that do you?

Mark,

I truly feel sorry for you.  Your unhealthy obsession with me that keeps you from being able to talk about a topic of any thread and not changing the topic to you talking about me.    Do you spend all your time thinking about me?   I mean every topic even Covid you circle around to talking about me.  That is not good and that is not normal.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 11, 2020, 07:14:16 PM
Mark,

I truly feel sorry for you.  Your unhealthy obsession with me that keeps you from being able to talk about a topic of any thread and not changing the topic to you talking about me.    Do you spend all your time thinking about me?   I mean every topic even Covid you circle around to talking about me.  That is not good and that is not normal.   

Who is Mark? - yet wrong again

edit to add:

what is sad, I have posted my full name and where I live on this page over the last 6 months, but you were to ignorant to pick up on it.