News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Leonard Williams to the Seahawks

Started by jgrangers2, October 30, 2023, 02:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 30, 2023, 08:53:55 PMI'm going to be watching McCarthy very, very closely two weeks from now in Happy Valley and then four weeks from now against Ohio State. Thus far this year he hasn't really been tested that much. Those two games are huge tests. Plus we'll likely see him in the Big 10 championship and also at least one playoff game. Also huge tests. Him lighting it up against the likes of Rutgers, Bowling Green, Nevada, Indiana etc means little to me.

To be clear I'm not knocking him. I like him too. But I want to see him elevate people in games like the ones I mentioned if I'm using a top six or seven pick on him.
He keeps leaving in the 3rd quarter or he'd have better numbers and even now still has great numbers.

uconnjack8

Did Schoen get the best deal of the sellers this year?

Gmo11

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 31, 2023, 08:18:11 PMDid Schoen get the best deal of the sellers this year?

Getting a 2nd for Sweat was pretty good too but the Williams deal is probably a little better even if they do have to pay all his money.  My big issue is why was that the ONLY deal they made? 

Bob In PA

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 01, 2023, 10:22:47 AMGetting a 2nd for Sweat was pretty good too but the Williams deal is probably a little better even if they do have to pay all his money.  My big issue is why was that the ONLY deal they made? 
Gm: Just a guess... They only got one decent offer (the one for Williams). Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Gmo11

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 01, 2023, 11:16:02 AMGm: Just a guess... They only got one decent offer (the one for Williams). Bob

Even a less than decent offer is better than no offer.  If the guy isn't in their future plans like Jackson, Barkley, maybe McKinney whatever offer they get is better than nothing.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 01, 2023, 11:29:04 AMEven a less than decent offer is better than no offer.  If the guy isn't in their future plans like Jackson, Barkley, maybe McKinney whatever offer they get is better than nothing.
Gm: IMO Shoen doesn't operate that way, IMO.

If a GM gets a reputation for being "easy" when the chips are down, he will get fewer and fewer decent offers. 

I'm not saying they had offers for other players, but if they did, and those offers were hoping to find a "fire sale" at Giants' headquarters, the GM's making low-ball offers learned that you either make the Giants (under Schoen) a respectable offer or you walk away empty handed.

Bob

Gmo11

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 01, 2023, 12:24:10 PMGm: IMO Shoen doesn't operate that way, IMO.

If a GM gets a reputation for being "easy" when the chips are down, he will get fewer and fewer decent offers. 

I'm not saying they had offers for other players, but if they did, and those offers were hoping to find a "fire sale" at Giants' headquarters, the GM's making low-ball offers learned that you either make the Giants (under Schoen) a respectable offer or you walk away empty handed.

Bob

If you were the GM, and let's say the Niners offer you a 6th round pick for Adoree Jackson.  And in your opinion Jackson is worth a 5th round pick do you turn the deal down or take it?  Knowing that Jackson will not be on the roster next year and will not be bringing in a comp pick.  What would you do?  For me I would take the pick offered and not much care what other GMs think.  Because when it comes to a proper trade that's not involved in a fire sale I know I'll hold out for proper value.  In this case it was, or at least should have been, a fire sale.  In an effort to collect as many picks as possible to use next April to maneuver in the draft.

If you remember, the Giants were debating between JMS and Hyatt with the 2nd round pick.  Hoping JMS would be there but totally fine taking Hyatt if he wasn't. They take JMS and then soon thereafter realize they have a shot to move up and get Hyatt too.  They could only do that with lower round picks to use to get up to a spot and take him.  And now Hyatt is the best WR on the team, though somebody should probably tell Daboll that at some point.  So while 7th rounders and 6th rounders seem mostly useless they may not be if you package 4 of them to move up in the 4th round to get a guy that ends up starting for you.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 01, 2023, 12:49:52 PMIf you were the GM, and let's say the Niners offer you a 6th round pick for Adoree Jackson.  And in your opinion Jackson is worth a 5th round pick do you turn the deal down or take it?  Knowing that Jackson will not be on the roster next year and will not be bringing in a comp pick.  What would you do?  For me I would take the pick offered and not much care what other GMs think.  Because when it comes to a proper trade that's not involved in a fire sale I know I'll hold out for proper value.  In this case it was, or at least should have been, a fire sale.  In an effort to collect as many picks as possible to use next April to maneuver in the draft.

If you remember, the Giants were debating between JMS and Hyatt with the 2nd round pick.  Hoping JMS would be there but totally fine taking Hyatt if he wasn't. They take JMS and then soon thereafter realize they have a shot to move up and get Hyatt too.  They could only do that with lower round picks to use to get up to a spot and take him.  And now Hyatt is the best WR on the team, though somebody should probably tell Daboll that at some point.  So while 7th rounders and 6th rounders seem mostly useless they may not be if you package 4 of them to move up in the 4th round to get a guy that ends up starting for you.
Do you honestly believe that a legit NFL franchise would give up a starting caliber draft pick in return for four 6th round picks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Gmo11

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on November 01, 2023, 12:54:09 PMDo you honestly believe that a legit NFL franchise would give up a starting caliber draft pick in return for four 6th round picks?

Including their 4th round pick to trade up?  Yes. I certainly do.  Happens almost every year. 

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 01, 2023, 01:06:42 PMIncluding their 4th round pick to trade up?  Yes. I certainly do.  Happens almost every year.
Including a 4th with four 6ths to go where mid 3rd? That's the best you could get.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Bob In PA

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 01, 2023, 12:49:52 PMIf you were the GM, and let's say the Niners offer you a 6th round pick for Adoree Jackson.  And in your opinion Jackson is worth a 5th round pick do you turn the deal down or take it?  Knowing that Jackson will not be on the roster next year and will not be bringing in a comp pick.  What would you do?  For me I would take the pick.

Gm: I would also take the pick. You're assuming someone made an offer. My assumption (which is consistent with the way I hope Schoen conducts his business) is that they didn't get any offers for Jackson involving a draft pick for next year.  Why not? I don't know. Bob

Gmo11

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on November 01, 2023, 01:14:46 PMIncluding a 4th with four 6ths to go where mid 3rd? That's the best you could get.

Exactly right.  And that could be the difference between getting Jalin Hyatt or some scrub WR that barely makes the roster.

DaveBrown74

This is interesting. If Leo's account is accurate (which I obviously have no reason to think it isn't), it sounds like Schoen asked him for his permission to trade him.

https://twitter.com/TalkinGiants/status/1719849057667940682

PSUBeirut

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 01, 2023, 07:22:10 PMThis is interesting. If Leo's account is accurate (which I obviously have no reason to think it isn't), it sounds like Schoen asked him for his permission to trade him.

https://twitter.com/TalkinGiants/status/1719849057667940682

GREAT way to handle it by Schoen.  These players are humans and it's a human business- handling an organization with pride and respect is big for the culture and players around the league take notice of this type of stuff (especially vets like Leo).  Kudos to the GM.

TDToomer

As opposed to Gettleman who was notorious for not even talking to any of his players. Landon Collins for instance was never even contacted during his walk year about an possible extension.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs