News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lets talk about the QBs in 2024 draft.

Started by brownelvis54, October 31, 2023, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 05, 2023, 05:22:13 PMI'd draft a Qb every year until you get one. Nothing else really matters, you won't go anywhere without one.

There is precedent for doing that. The Cards drafted Josh Rosen and Kyler Murray in the first round in back to back years and the Cowboys drafted Troy Aidan first overall and then a couple months later drafted Steve Walsh in the first round of the supplemental draft.

The position is too important in the modern NFL. You simply can't win with a game manager like the Ravens did 23 years or so ago with Trent Dilfer.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 05, 2023, 07:29:04 PMCaleb has to score 50 in most games to be competitive. Some of the stuff I see people write about here seems nuts to me. He's an elite prospect.

Dgood: So were hundreds of other QB's who fizzed out in the NFL. A QB needs the right situation in which to excel.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Stringer Bell

Quote from: madbadger on November 05, 2023, 08:38:20 PMThe same guys saying Caleb Williams sucks are the same ones who said CJ Stroud sucks last year and he's absolutely killing it this year. In fact he might end up having the best year any rookie quarterback ever has. 

Not seeing anyone say Caleb sucks. No one at all.

I said he comes up small in big games, which he absolutely does. Others have said his mental makeup isn't ideal, which it's not.

Valid criticisms don't equate to saying someone sucks.

katkavage

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 05, 2023, 08:52:07 PMDgood: So were hundreds of other QB's who fizzed out in the NFL. A QB needs the right situation in which to excel.
I'm watching one now on Sunday Night Football whose presence changed a moribund franchise. He made a bad situation so much better. Some have that kind of talent. .

katkavage

Quote from: Stringer Bell on November 05, 2023, 08:55:56 PMNot seeing anyone say Caleb sucks. No one at all.

I said he comes up small in big games, which he absolutely does. Others have said his mental makeup isn't ideal, which it's not.

Valid criticisms don't equate to saying someone sucks.
I understand what you are saying. How many games did Danny Jones come up big for Duke before the Giants made him a high first round pick?

Dgoodmantrublu

Caleb played a great game last night. He made throws that Jones can only dream of. But he doesn't play defense, so he came up small. Some of what I read here is amazing.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: katkavage on November 05, 2023, 09:00:07 PMI understand what you are saying. How many games did Danny Jones come up big for Duke before the Giants made him a high first round pick?

I love how every conversation - no matter the topic - becomes a "drag DJ" contest.

madbadger

Just for a little perspective Peyton Manning was 2-6 at Tennessee against top 10 teams and the year after he left they won the National Championship. The knock on him was that he didn't win the big games.

If we get a quarterback in this upcoming draft that has a career anything close to Peyton's every last poster here would have an ear to ear grin for the next 15 years.

Every top prospect gets nit picked. I suppose that it makes sense as no one can stomach drafting a bust in the top two or three but there are guys that are just different.

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on November 05, 2023, 10:25:37 PMJust for a little perspective Peyton Manning was 2-6 at Tennessee against top 10 teams and the year after he left they won the National Championship. The knock on him was that he didn't win the big games.

100% right.  I want to see traits more than read about stats.

If we get a quarterback in this upcoming draft that has a career anything close to Peyton's every last poster here would have an ear to ear grin for the next 15 years.

Every top prospect gets nit picked. I suppose that it makes sense as no one can stomach drafting a bust in the top two or three but there are guys that are just different.

katkavage

Quote from: Stringer Bell on November 05, 2023, 09:57:17 PMI love how every conversation - no matter the topic - becomes a "drag DJ" contest.

No, the point I was making is that your "drag Caleb" contest has nothing to do with how he will be drafted in the upcoming draft. It has nothing to do with his potential as a NFL QB. See Badgers post about Peyton Manning.

Bob In PA

Quote from: katkavage on November 06, 2023, 02:56:13 AMNo, the point I was making is that your "drag Caleb" contest has nothing to do with how he will be drafted in the upcoming draft. It has nothing to do with his potential as a NFL QB. See Badgers post about Peyton Manning.
kat: You're completely right, but IMO he is not showing the qualities we want to see right now, and has not looked like he looked last year. If nothing else, it could be cited as proof that most QB's need a decent team around them to develop and eventually play well. Bob

katkavage

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 08:05:04 AMkat: You're completely right, but IMO he is not showing the qualities we want to see right now, and has not looked like he looked last year. If nothing else, it could be cited as proof that most QB's need a decent team around them to develop and eventually play well. Bob
Nope. You take them when you get the chance. You can't wait for the decent team. Phil Simms played several years before the teams were decent he played for. The Bengals weren't very decent when they drafted Burrow. Nor the Jaguars when they took Lawrence. Do that and it will never happen.

Bob In PA

Quote from: katkavage on November 06, 2023, 09:39:08 AMNope. You take them when you get the chance. You can't wait for the decent team. Phil Simms played several years before the teams were decent he played for. The Bengals weren't very decent when they drafted Burrow. Nor the Jaguars when they took Lawrence. Do that and it will never happen.
kat: I think that's 20th century thinking, and this is the 21st century. The game HAS changed, IMO.  Bob

TDToomer

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 09:58:11 AMkat: I think that's 20th century thinking, and this is the 21st century. The game HAS changed, IMO.  Bob

But Mara hasn't and still thinks the game is the same as it was in the 20th century.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

katkavage

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 09:58:11 AMkat: I think that's 20th century thinking, and this is the 21st century. The game HAS changed, IMO.  Bob
That's why you take the QB. As all teams do now. Not even a debate.