News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lets talk about the QBs in 2024 draft.

Started by brownelvis54, October 31, 2023, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Quote from: brownelvis54 on November 04, 2023, 06:30:24 PMWhats your take on Bo Nix?

Bo Nix has really come on strong the past 5-6 games.  He was not even in the same sentence with Caleb Williams and Michael Penix but now he is.  Even in their loss to Washington 36-33, he put up big numbers.

That said, I dont like him the way I liked Justin Herbert when he was at Oregon.  Pac 12 defenses continue to be non-existent.  I would put him in the 2nd or 3rd tier of QB prospects this year.

He's been playing in college forever yet JJ McCarthy in one has developed more than Nix has in his career in terms of QB decision-making skills.

uconnjack8

Quote from: madbadger on November 04, 2023, 11:33:34 PMJesus. He's a fifth year senior just like my son and my son is now where near being too old. For decades most quarterbacks spent four or five years in college learning their craft before entering the draft. He's 23 and playing in an era where the good ones last into their late 30's. Why people bring up his age is baffling to me.

Was really just making a joke because it seems like he has been around for a long time.  That's mostly due to him being a 5 year starter, which is unusual.  Usually 5th year players tend to have been injured a season or not played a lot in a season for whatever reason.  Nix is a rare case of a QB with 5 full years of starting.  Sorry the joke missed and upset you.

DaveBrown74

I personally think it's perfectly reasonable to incorporate how many years of college experience a QB has had into one's analysis/expectations. There is a difference to me between a 19 year old sophomore and a 23 year old 5th year starter (or 24 year old 6th year starter who turns 25 this summer, ie Sam Hartman on ND).

It's not an insult or anything, nor does it mean the older player won't be good at the next level if he makes it. Nor does it mean the younger player will. But I don't think it's something you just gloss right over and treat as a complete non-discussion point. I think it's perfectly reasonable for it to be part of the analysis. Experience matters. Otherwise why play college football at all?

Ed Vette

It's alarming how Calib comes up small in big situations. He's the most talented QB in many years but last night he had a chance to at least come within a FG but busted. Can't keep blaming the supporting cast. Sound familiar? 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 05, 2023, 09:36:00 AMIt's alarming how Calib comes up small in big situations. He's the most talented QB in many years but last night he had a chance to at least come within a FG but busted. Can't keep blaming the supporting cast. Sound familiar? 
Ed: In the right system (and right coach) he'll have a shot, because he has at least NFL minimum requirements.

IMO all 1st-round NFL QB's have them. Anyone who does not believe that should re-examine their views.

What really matters is how they adapt to the fact that in the NFL, EVERY game is against elite players, and how they are able to mature, both physically and mentally as their careers progress.

That's what makes the draft a crap shoot. Some adapt and flourish, but more never do. Of the few who do, some find even more ways to give themselves a tiny edge, whether through ultra-superior innate talent, mental attitude, having TRUE understanding of the intricacies of the game, or intangible factors.

But it's still a 53-man game... if you don't come to a solid team with a coaching staff that puts you in a good situation, then you have even more adapting to do. Precious few QB's overcome an additional burden being added to an already-difficult task. The converse is also true... a few guys find themselves in good circumstances (good team, good coach) and still can't make the adjustment from college to pro.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 05, 2023, 09:36:00 AMIt's alarming how Calib comes up small in big situations. He's the most talented QB in many years but last night he had a chance to at least come within a FG but busted. Can't keep blaming the supporting cast. Sound familiar? 
I agree, super talented but the mental makeup is missing for me at least. It's why I am sold on Mccarthy over Maye and Williams.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 05, 2023, 10:50:13 AMI agree, super talented but the mental makeup is missing for me at least. It's why I am sold on Mccarthy over Maye and Williams.

J: Next weekend (assuming the game is national) you'll get to see and compare McCarthy with the guy I'm eyeing for 2025, Drew Allar of Penn State. I know you like other WR's too but right now I'd pick Harrison, Jr., in 2024 and Allar in 2025. Both events obviously are a long time off, so we'll see if things change, but IMO they would be a truly elite NFL combo. Bob

Just_jimmy

Mccarthy is the guy for me. And I hope the Giants see it the same.

Go get him

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Bob In PA

Quote from: Just_jimmy on November 05, 2023, 11:05:46 AMMccarthy is the guy for me. And I hope the Giants see it the same.  Go get him
Jimmy: Let's see how he does against Penn State and Ohio State first.

Both have good defenses that will put him under big-time pressure which IMO he hasn't yet had to deal with.

By the way, if I told you Giants would not pick a QB in 2024 because they don't like any of them enough to spend a high 1st-rounder, which college player would you want instead, using just the info you have today (or which position should their 1st-round pick play)?

Bob

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 05, 2023, 11:16:41 AMJimmy: Let's see how he does against Penn State and Ohio State first.

Both have good defenses that will put him under big-time pressure which IMO he hasn't yet had to deal with.

Bob

Yep, we'll see how he does with a ton of pressure in his face next week.  Should be a good indicator of what he'd look like in Giants blue.   =))

Bob In PA

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 05, 2023, 12:00:27 PMYep, we'll see how he does with a ton of pressure in his face next week.  Should be a good indicator of what he'd look like in Giants blue.   =))
PSU: Franklin finally unleashed Allar. Let's see if he's ready to beat a pro-caliber team playing at home.

Assuming his development continues at the current rate, IMO Giants should wait until he comes out (2025).

Meanwhile taking Harrison, Jr. (or equivalent elite WR) should get the O ready for what IMO Allar will  have to offer.

Bob

Philosophers

Michigan's weakest part of their team are their offensive tackles.  Interior OL is outstanding.  Edge pressure should be good test along with good CB play from Penn State.

That said, his completion percentage outside the pocket is 92% this year. Now is scrambles to throw whereas before he scrambled to run.

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 05, 2023, 12:29:47 PMPSU: Franklin finally unleashed Allar. Let's see if he's ready to beat a pro-caliber team playing at home.

Assuming his development continues at the current rate, IMO Giants should wait until he comes out (2025).

Meanwhile taking Harrison, Jr. (or equivalent elite WR) should get the O ready for what IMO Allar will  have to offer.

Bob

I'm liking what I'm seeing of Allar so far but definitely need to see more accuracy on mid to long range throws before I'm sold as an NFL franchise QB.  He's got a lot of tools to work with in his game, but I've yet to see him really carry a team on his back in a big game.  Of course, the great tragedy is he's got nowhere NEAR the WRs that OSU has to offer...if I were Franklin I'd make that job #1 for next year.

Bob In PA

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 05, 2023, 12:52:38 PMI'm liking what I'm seeing of Allar so far but definitely need to see more accuracy on mid to long range throws before I'm sold as an NFL franchise QB.  He's got a lot of tools to work with in his game, but I've yet to see him really carry a team on his back in a big game.  Of course, the great tragedy is he's got nowhere NEAR the WRs that OSU has to offer...if I were Franklin I'd make that job #1 for next year.
PSU: My view/hope: the rest of this season (starting next week) will establish him as having high first-round potential.

Whether I'll think he's worth a high 1st-rounder in 2025 is clearly not possible now, but I can see it happening.

It all starts next weekend, after which he'll be on the major-league radar or his weak spots will be exposed.

His "chest pass" throw yesterday to the TE while being tackled near the end-zone was IMO Patrick Mahomes stuff.

It had the presence of mind that sets elite NFL QB's apart from good ones. We'll see if it continues. He tries to incorporate into the game the various aspects of brilliance displayed by the NFL's elite (i.e., he's a student of the game). IMO, it's all there right before him. 

Bob

madbadger

How many points did USC score yesterday. He accounted for 300 yards passing and four touchdowns with no turnovers. Is he supposed to play defense too?