News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How do you feel about the Giants winning games for the rest of the season

Started by MightyGiants, November 02, 2023, 09:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In light of the current record how do you feel about winning or losing for he rest of the season

StompYouOT

Quote from: Philosophers on November 03, 2023, 12:55:28 AMReally interesting post to generate discussion.  I think that idea goes against the rugged individualist mindset that runs in this country and especially in the so-called manly sports that it is up to you to fix the problem without getting help from others. 

I didn't say it in as many words, but that was my fault.  It neuters the role of Coach, Ownership and GM a bit.  If they win it's only because the league gifted them extra picks which nobody wants in the NFL in my opinion.

Giantleap56

They have to win games. If the coaching staff doesn't win, next year is going to be trial to see if they get axed. They don't want that. With a rookie QB and the likely hood of having injuries and possibly another bad year almost always gets them fired. That's is why I'm perplexed how bad Daboll has been. After that first 7 games he hasn't been great.  He has lost his fire and quite frankly he has lost his mojo of being aggressive.

Jclayton92

Would anyoness answer be different to the op question if this wasn't a once in a decade draft for QBs potentially?

jgrangers2

I'll root for them on gameday while knowing in the back of my head that losing the game is probably better long-term. Best case scenario is the younger players continue to improve while the team loses.

Woody

I want them to win every time they step on the field. Isn't that the purpose of playing a game ?
This stuff about losing to improve draft position is a failed strategy that has paid off for who ?  Certainly not the Giants...they are in top ten almost every year and what has it got them ?
Another year where the same question of winning or losing for draft position is a main topic every year after the first half of the season.
How has high draft picks helped this team over the last ten years?
Building by winning and all the positives that go with it(winning mindset, etc.) is way more important than a draft position....
Need proof ?  Look at the Giants . The coach , player leadership on the field and in the locker room are more important than a draft pick....and that is what has been lacking with this team for a very long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Giant Jim

Quote from: Woody on November 05, 2023, 08:13:11 AMThis stuff about losing to improve draft position is a failed strategy that has paid off for who ?  Certainly not the Giants...they are in top ten almost every year and what has it got them ?

I agree with everything you wrote except calling losing to improve draft position "a failed STRATEGY" I don't believe it was ever in their plans or their intention to lose as a strategy.

Giant Jim

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 02, 2023, 05:16:08 PMI'm sure the Jets wish they didn't win that game that caused them to lose out on Trevor Lawrence. In 1980 they won a meaningless game and we got Lawrence Taylor instead of them. Meaningless wins in a lost season accomplish nothing.
The Giants got him with the 2nd pick. There hasn't been a player that good since, except possibly Brady.

Woody

Quote from: Giant Jim on November 05, 2023, 08:37:31 AMI agree with everything you wrote except calling losing to improve draft position "a failed STRATEGY" I don't believe it was ever in their plans or their intention to lose as a strategy.

I was not referring to Giants management when I said the strategy of losing to improve position...I am refereeing to some on this board that feel it may be a worthy approach to winning and losing at some point in the season.

kartanoman

Quote from: Philosophers on November 03, 2023, 12:55:28 AMReally interesting post to generate discussion.  I think that idea goes against the rugged individualist mindset that runs in this country and especially in the so-called manly sports that it is up to you to fix the problem without getting help from others. 

Going against what is an American cultural mindset to be the very best we can be. Excellent response!

I happen to be a member of an AFL board for my Collingwood Magpies Football Club, who won the league Premiership this past season, and we discuss the two football codes. I am taken back by how much each nation's culture plays a part into the sport as an element of pride.

Keep in mind I've played Aussie Rules in an established league, here in the United States, where more than half the team was Aussie expats. In addition, as some of us have the NFL Sunday Ticket, so to do I have the "Watch AFL" equivalent for international viewers. So, for me, the cultural identity lines, over the years, have been blurred considerably.

On this particular subject, most Aussies agree this is an unnecessary rule.

Thanks for your feedback.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kingm56

Quote from: Woody on November 05, 2023, 08:13:11 AMI want them to win every time they step on the field. Isn't that the purpose of playing a game ?
This stuff about losing to improve draft position is a failed strategy that has paid off for who ?  Certainly not the Giants...they are in top ten almost every year and what has it got them ?
Another year where the same question of winning or losing for draft position is a main topic every year after the first half of the season.
Building by winning and all the positives that go with it(winning mindset, etc.) is way more important than a draft position....
Need proof ?  Look at the Giants . The coach , player leadership on the field and in the locker room are more important than a draft pick....and that is what has been lacking with this team for a very long time.

The Miami Dolphins; the Eagles too. So 2 of the NFLs top 5 teams. 

Bob In PA

Quote from: Woody on November 05, 2023, 08:13:11 AMI want them to win every time they step on the field. Isn't that the purpose of playing a game ?
Woody: Strong and very positive argument. IMO there's never a good reason to tank.

If it gets you a truly generational talent everyone else also wanted, it's possible (but rare) to win by losing.

The counter-argument is... if winning all remaining games can't get you in the playoffs, why not play some guys who don't start to see what they do, which should help determine which positions you need to bolster through the draft or free-agency in the off-season. That IMO does not constitute tanking but is solid team management, although it may aggravate starters who have incentive clauses in their contracts (which is a counter-argument to the counter-argument lol).

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Woody

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 05, 2023, 11:10:12 AMWoody: Strong and very positive argument. IMO there's never a good reason to tank.

If it gets you a truly generational talent everyone else also wanted, it's possible (but rare) to win by losing.

The counter-argument is... if winning all remaining games can't get you in the playoffs, why not play some guys who don't start to see what they do, which should help determine which positions you need to bolster through the draft or free-agency in the off-season. That IMO does not constitute tanking but is solid team management, although it may aggravate starters who have incentive clauses in their contracts (which is a counter-argument to the counter-argument lol).

Bob
Good point .... Makes sense to see what you have for talent in real game situations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgrangers2

The Giants went 9-7-1 last year and won a playoff game. All of that led to them starting this season 2-6. Winning doesn't automatically beget more winning. This team badly needs talent. If the Giants go 5-12 instead of 3-14, lose out on Maye and Williams and watch them become stars in the NFL will anyone care about those two extra wins? Do you think Jet fans look back on those two wins at the end of the 2020 season as good things? Those two wins ended up with them taking Zack Wilson instead of Trevor Lawrence. You think the Bengals regret being terrible the year before to land Burrow?

Winning 5 games instead of 3 is probably a bad thing long-term. I know that is hard to take sometimes but it's simply the nature of this sport and the way talent is brought into the NFL. No team should ever tank, but, as a fan, it's not unreasonable to realize that losing these games might be beneficial in the long run.

Giant Jim

If the Giants had the 1st pick of the 2018 draft, they could've had Baker Mayfield instead of Barkley.

katkavage

Quote from: Giant Jim on November 05, 2023, 11:57:24 AMIf the Giants had the 1st pick of the 2018 draft, they could've had Baker Mayfield instead of Barkley.
Or Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold.