News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- CJ Stroud

Started by MightyGiants, November 07, 2023, 02:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 13, 2023, 06:34:18 AMThey did win 9 games last year. Got a few lucky breaks sure but 9 wins is 9 wins. The difference from that to this year was 1) OL injuries and 2) Jones reverting back to his old terrible performances. Stroud on this team wins 9 games easy and maybe more.

No doubt they got lucky breaks last year but they also had some resounding late season wins, including a road playoff win against a 13-4 team. So this idea that they just luck-boxed the 6-1 start with mirrors against bad teams is only partially true. It's true, but it's not like they never had solid wins again after that.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 13, 2023, 09:19:06 AMDoes anyone think Stroud would have made a difference in this team yesterday?

I definitely think he would have made a difference with regard to offensive production, but it wouldn't have been enough to win the game based on how bad our defense was.

But since fans seem very focused on the lopsided nature of the loss and not just the binary result, I think it is fair to say he would have made a difference.

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 13, 2023, 09:19:06 AMDoes anyone think Stroud would have made a difference in this team yesterday?
He would have made a positive difference in every game this season. And we'd have more than 2 wins and 10 yards passing against the Jets.  ~X(  ~X(  ~X(
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Doc16LT56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 13, 2023, 09:26:00 AMThey were competitive last year with a QB who is likely to be replaced due to not being good enough, so I'm not sure I agree with this.

Agreed. The Giants need a QB and a bunch of pieces to be a Super Bowl team. But building a Super Bowl team is a different standard than building a team that isn't a national joke which is what they are today.

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 13, 2023, 09:26:00 AMThey were competitive last year with a QB who is likely to be replaced due to not being good enough, so I'm not sure I agree with this.

Fools gold. We were never competitive with the teams that were close to winning the title. Did you see us against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving or the Eagles in the 2 real games? We were average last year. And very lucky. Last year was like 2016, an outliner.

Gmo11

:greetings:

I sure as hell do.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on November 13, 2023, 09:35:26 AMFools gold. We were never competitive with the teams that were close to winning the title. Did you see us against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving or the Eagles in the 2 real games? We were average last year. And very lucky. Last year was like 2016, an outliner.

I don't think we were very good last year and never said we were. We were competitive though. Parse it any way you want, but if you make the playoffs and (especially) make it to the second round, you were, if nothing else, "competitive" that year. Considering the state of affairs at the end of 2021 and the lack of cap space we had going into 2022, I view being competitive and a playoff team one season removed from that as a short term success. Was it an overachievement? Or "fools gold", as you put it? Sure, probably. But an "overachievement" is usually considered the result of good coaching that has managed to get some results despite inferior talent.

It sounds like your main point is that the team is bad, ie the roster is bad, and that last year was something of a mirage. And I would broadly agree with that. I never thought we were a serious contender last year. But that's different from saying the coach is bad. In fact, as stated above, if you get some moderately solid results with a bad roster, most people would argue that points to you having a good coach, not a bad one.

As for this year, sure, it's a disaster. I have two eyes. But I think snap-reacting and firing everyone based on one bad season after a surprisingly good one would be a mistake. They should make some changes, likely at one or more of the coordinator spots, but not wholesale changes (ie the GM and the HC). And I am reasonably confident they won't, albeit I certainly admit it's possible.

JT39

I would argue that if the in house fighting continues and Daboll continues to act like a child - he isnt safe.

Dgoodmantrublu

I'm sure you thought that about the Texans last year too.

Quote from: JT39 on November 13, 2023, 06:25:43 AMThis team is miles away from being a competitive outside a QB.

JT39

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 13, 2023, 02:24:05 PMI'm sure you thought that about the Texans last year too.

they are an average team. They lost to Carolina.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on November 13, 2023, 02:57:39 PMthey are an average team. They lost to Carolina.

3-13-1 last year.

5-4 so far this year.

Pretty noticeable single year jump.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 13, 2023, 03:02:16 PM3-13-1 last year.

5-4 so far this year.

Pretty noticeable single year jump.

And Stroud appears to be getting better every single week which is downright scary.  He's going to be in the discussion for league MVP.  Rookie of the year is just about in the bag already.

kingm56

Quote from: JT39 on November 13, 2023, 02:57:39 PMthey are an average team. They lost to Carolina.

They are a game over 500; thus, by definition, they're better than average.  Moreover, at the midway point, they've already won two more games than they did all last season. Finally, it's odd for you to cite one lose to prove your point, while simultaneously ignoring Houston's wins against playoff bound teams: Cinci, Pit, Jaq. 

Dgoodmantrublu

Look at what they've done in recent weeks as Stroud has progressed. All with multiple OLs on IR.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 13, 2023, 08:07:26 PMLook at what they've done in recent weeks as Stroud has progressed. All with multiple OLs on IR.

That would involve objective, fair-minded analysis that doesn't aim to suit any underlying, predetermined narrative though.