News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Bill Belichik

Started by Brooklyn Dave, November 13, 2023, 11:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooklyn Dave

If Belichick is let go by the Patriots, would you sign him as head coach? He probably would want full control but I would not fire Schoen .

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on November 13, 2023, 11:01:45 PMIf Belichick is let go by the Patriots, would you sign him as head coach? He probably would want full control but I would not fire Schoen .

I am not in favor of firing Daboll, so no.

And if they did, I would not want Belichick being the final say on personnel decisions. While losing Brady is clearly the main reason why the Pats have gotten a lot worse in the last four years, Belichick's drafting is the reason, in my opinion at least (but I don't really think it's disputable), why they have fallen to the depths that they have.

Torus34

Even a great coach cannot quickly raise a team's performance above its ability. The New York Giants have a team with one really good player in one position. That's all. Even Mr. William Belichik can't do much with that unless there's some changes in players. This is not to say that the youngsters on the team can't be brought along, but that takes time.

Go, Big Blue!

Gmo11

If he wants to be the DC then sure. If he wants to run everything...enjoy retirement Bill!

Giant Obsession

A shining example of The Peter Principle in action.

HC for the Giants ....sure sign me up.

But that is where his power ends.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

T200

I wanted him 5-6 years ago. Now? No thanks. He needs to consult or retire.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

We would want to sign Belichick with the expectation that he would elevate the team.  How has that team elevation been working out for him in New England?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 14, 2023, 08:13:06 AMWe would want to sign Belichick with the expectation that he would elevate the team.  How has that team elevation been working out for him in New England?
During the Pats' dynasty years, one of his best qualities was identifying talent and knowing how to use them in his system. The players bought in 100%. And yes, Brady was a huge part of that. People seem to take a shot at Lil Bill by saying what has he done since Tom Terrific left. I still think Bill is the greatest coach in NFL history. Of course, there's no way of knowing but if Brady gets drafted by any other coach, I doubt he's as successful. I truly believe that Bill made Brady more than Brady made Bill. Outside of Parcells and Coughlin, Belichick is one of my favorites.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on November 14, 2023, 08:19:25 AMDuring the Pats' dynasty years, one of his best qualities was identifying talent and knowing how to use them in his system. The players bought in 100%. And yes, Brady was a huge part of that. People seem to take a shot at Lil Bill by saying what has he done since Tom Terrific left. I still think Bill is the greatest coach in NFL history. Of course, there's no way of knowing but if Brady gets drafted by any other coach, I doubt he's as successful. I truly believe that Bill made Brady more than Brady made Bill. Outside of Parcells and Coughlin, Belichick is one of my favorites.

I think the biggest challenge for older coaches is the constant restocking of their coaching staffs.  It's sort of funny; the NFL is a QB-obsessed league.  All that has been talked about was how Belichick has done since Brady left the team.

Here is the thing: Bill Belichick had perhaps one of the best O-line coaches of his time in Dante Scarnecchia.  That was a huge asset for Bill over the years.   He retired after the 2019 season.  The team has struggled since.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

I dont think he's drafted a good pick in the last 6 years as gm.

kingm56

He demonstrated well before he became elder coach that its difficult to win without Brady.   He's 82-98 without Tom, a record that was compiled mostly in his prime.  He's also currently coaching a bottom 3 team that's completely voided of offensive talent, which he assembled. He'll be 72 years old next season...why on would anyone hire him?

Bill B is great coach; however, his legacy is built on the Greatest defensive player of all-time, and best QB to ever lace-em-up.  Without either player, he's well below average.  In short, he's no different than any other coach: he needs talent to be successful.

BlueMoshik

Only if he brings a young Tom Brady with him.

Ed Vette

I don't think BB forgot how to coach. Brady had some excellent teams around him in NE. He had an excellent Tampa team around him too.

No doubt that NE team needs a QB and an infusion of good players.

Many great teams are created from a few years of failure. Look at the Niners and Eagles, Lions, and Jags. They have solid Franchise QBs and built or are building a good team around them.   

Teams like Dallas and Pittsburgh that have competitive teams almost every year, hang on to coaching staffs, and draft well but come up short.

Elite QBs are one of the keys to success but the teams won't be great if not supported. Buffalo and KC are not the teams they were two years ago.

This year is a classic example of parity in the league. The winningest teams are Eagles, Chiefs, Ravens and Lions. None of them are elite teams.  Then there are 8 good teams hovering around .600 and the rest of the 20 are struggling or they are just not good enough to compete with the rest. Some of those 20 are not bad teams. The competition has gotten overall better which actually hurts each other. Miami, Minn, Jags, Texans, Browns, Steelers, Bengals, Dallas and Seahawks are good enough to beat any team on any given day.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

It is amazing how a GOAT QB makes even a lesser coach great. Sure BB is probably the GOAT as a HC but would anyone else have done almost the same with Brady there?

I give BB all the credit with FAs though. He knew how to bring in those over-the-hill guys that no one else wanted and get a great year or two out of them. Most gave it their all knowing playing for BB might bring them that ring.

He had a great system and it worked as long as Brady was at the helm. Personally, I think Parcels was a better coach. He did it continually, with 4 different teams, turning them from bottom feeders to winners with lesser QBs. Yes, he never again won the big one, but the way he continually turned teams around was truly remarkable.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss