News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Slayton

Started by MightyGiants, January 01, 2024, 03:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Justin knows his xxxx, and he would be even better with a decent Offensive Line and a QB who can be a QB and not a game manager.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

JT39

Cut bait. People have become accustomed to mediocrity around here. Hes the same player as he was 5 years ago and with Hyatt in the team, we don't need him.

Amazing you didn't see these tweets in the first 10 games where he had 26 catches for 300 yards and 0 TDs. Getting a few big plays in meaningless games is meaningless.

TDToomer

Quote from: JT39 on January 01, 2024, 03:59:18 PMCut bait. People have become accustomed to mediocrity around here. Hes the same player as he was 5 years ago and with Hyatt in the team, we don't need him.

Amazing you didn't see these tweets in the first 10 games where he had 26 catches for 300 yards and 0 TDs. Getting a few big plays in meaningless games is meaningless.

Is this a serious post? Hyatt has been a huge disappointment. Cutting Slayton makes an unwatchable offense look even worse.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Bigmoose

Quote from: JT39 on January 01, 2024, 03:59:18 PMCut bait. People have become accustomed to mediocrity around here. Hes the same player as he was 5 years ago and with Hyatt in the team, we don't need him.

Slayton improved his catching skills in the past off season, which makes him a better receiver.  Can someone post his yearly drop percentage as i believe he has improved significantly this year. This would make him a very good #2 receiver imo.

zephirus

I don't get the Slayton haters.  Dude answers the call all the time.  Even in the pre-season where there was an awful lot of noise that he was on the outside looking in, he continued to work.  He's a nice piece as a reservist and offers deep speed.  As long as he stays affordable I don't see why any good GM wouldn't keep him around. 

JT39

Quote from: TDToomer on January 01, 2024, 04:25:32 PMIs this a serious post? Hyatt has been a huge disappointment. Cutting Slayton makes an unwatchable offense look even worse.

Hyatt has been a disappointment cause our coaching staff has been an embarrassment this year. Plus he's only a rookie who has shown he can get deep. Much like Slayton. We don't need two guys doing the same thing.

We need a true number 1.

londonblue

I don't think Hyatt is a disappointment, he just has not been used effectively with any consistency. He is not the best fit for our depressingly horizontal game. The play called back by the Bellinger hold reminds us of what he can be if we include more vertical passing plays in the O with better QB & OL play.

Equally I do not think Hyatt makes Slayton expendable as Slayton has worked his ass off to improve his hands to be arguably the best on the team. If the QB throws on time he can be effective on the sideline and in traffic as well as deep. He's a better player now than the one we drafted.

Slayton offers the perfect example of what Hyatt can become with good coaching and personal work. Hyatt has more upside if we can develop him. Sometimes we are too impatient as fans - not every player is the finished product out of college.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Stringer Bell

As I've said for his entire career, Slayton is a solid #3 WR. It's not his fault he's been miscast as a #1 due to the futility of the Giants personnel efforts at the position.

The Giants need a lot of improvement at the position next season and beyond.

They need Hyatt to develop into more of a complete route runner and to become more of a student of the game to improve his football IQ.

They need Robinson to grow from a gadget player to a Shepherd-type who can be counted on to move the sticks and gain the tough yards.

And they need to draft a legit #1. I'd  target Adonai Mitchell in the second. He could develop into that guy, or he could become Slayton's replacement after next season.

Hadron

Slayton is a nice complimentary piece. Hyatt could develop into something on his rookie deal.

Still, the Giants need a #1 guy at WR

Doc16LT56

Quote from: zephirus on January 01, 2024, 04:44:35 PMHe's a nice piece as a reservist and offers deep speed.  As long as he stays affordable I don't see why any good GM wouldn't keep him around. 
This is a fair take. However, if they draft a #1 WR (Harrison or Nabers?) and believe Hyatt and Robinson will continue to develop, then carrying the extra $6 million cap hit for Slayton becomes a luxury they shouldn't continue paying with bigger needs on the OL, DL and elsewhere. On the other hand, if they don't land their #1 receiver in the draft, then paying for Slayton might make more sense. Slayton is currently the Giants 7th highest cap hit for 2024 (8th highest if you count Leonard Williams dead money).

TDToomer

Quote from: JT39 on January 01, 2024, 05:03:21 PMHyatt has been a disappointment cause our coaching staff has been an embarrassment this year. Plus he's only a rookie who has shown he can get deep. Much like Slayton. We don't need two guys doing the same thing.

We need a true number 1.

Yeah the Dolphins don't need 2 guys going deep either. They should definitely trade Hill or Waddle.  /sarcasm/
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

AZGiantFan

Quote from: londonblue on January 01, 2024, 05:22:03 PMI don't think Hyatt is a disappointment, he just has not been used effectively with any consistency. He is not the best fit for our depressingly horizontal game. The play called back by the Bellinger hold reminds us of what he can be if we include more vertical passing plays in the O with better QB & OL play.

Equally I do not think Hyatt makes Slayton expendable as Slayton has worked his ass off to improve his hands to be arguably the best on the team. If the QB throws on time he can be effective on the sideline and in traffic as well as deep. He's a better player now than the one we drafted.

Slayton offers the perfect example of what Hyatt can become with good coaching and personal work. Hyatt has more upside if we can develop him. Sometimes we are too impatient as fans - not every player is the finished product out of college.

Hyatt is a down the field receiver.  They keep trying to use him as if he has the moves of OBJ, Wandale, or even Toney, but that's just not who he is.  Every target to him should be at least 10 beyond the line of scrimmage.  He can beat teams deep, he can take a slant 50 yards to the house, but if you throw a bubble screen to him you are asking for trouble.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

uconnjack8

Slayton has always been a solid deep threat and has improved other parts of his game.  His value is another conversation.

JT39

Quote from: TDToomer on January 01, 2024, 07:00:09 PMYeah the Dolphins don't need 2 guys going deep either. They should definitely trade Hill or Waddle.  /sarcasm/

Great comparison.  ::)