News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Matt Miller Giants QB rumor

Started by MightyGiants, February 05, 2024, 11:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

In terms of quality insider, Matt Miller isn't particularly good, but it's still worth considering

rumors swirling at the Senior Bowl among agents is that the Giants are more likely to add a veteran free agent QB to compete with Daniel Jones than draft one early.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39437517/2024-nfl-mock-draft-predictions-two-rounds-64-picks-matt-miller-senior-bowl
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

spiderblue43

Sounds like giving Jones more help again gaining ground. I hope not. I wonder if DJ can get off the ground, much less save his Giants' career.

I think if true Mighty..this makes no sense. When will Mara stay out of the way? Jones is not the answer other than maintaining also-ran status, at best.:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on February 05, 2024, 11:30:09 AMAnother smoke screen.

I thought about this, but free agency comes before the draft.  So the Giants likely will have signed that veteran prior to the draft (negating the value of a smoke screen).  I guess they could wait until after the draft to sign one, but at that point it will be a hard sell to say the Giants are not targeting a QB in the draft.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 11:36:46 AMI thought about this, but free agency comes before the draft.  So the Giants likely will have signed that veteran prior to the draft (negating the value of a smoke screen).  I guess they could wait until after the draft to sign one, but at that point it will be a hard sell to say the Giants are not targeting a QB in the draft.
The only way I see them signing another veteran (Tyrod or someone else) is if they dump DeVito.

I like Tyrod but he, like Jones, can't stay healthy. No need to have two injury-prone veterans on the roster. Jones's contract means he's on the team.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

katkavage

If true, the term "long suffering Giant fan" will come into vogue again. Though many veteran back ups are actually better than Jones, so there is that.

Painter

As they say, Denial is not a river in Egypt, but it doesn't seem to lessen the notion that this will be the year in which the Giants resolve the issue and settle the future at QB in the Draft, or less likely in FA. Personally, I can hope while staying far away from predicting.

Cheers!

Ed Vette

Not the first time I've read this rumor.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

brownelvis54

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 11:20:56 AMIn terms of quality insider, Matt Miller isn't particularly good, but it's still worth considering

rumors swirling at the Senior Bowl among agents is that the Giants are more likely to add a veteran free agent QB to compete with Daniel Jones than draft one early.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39437517/2024-nfl-mock-draft-predictions-two-rounds-64-picks-matt-miller-senior-bowl

Rich....is Gardner Minshew an option?
The KING is in the building

MightyGiants

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 05, 2024, 12:05:35 PMRich....is Gardner Minshew an option?

The Colts have a ton of cap space, and Richardson had a season-ending injury in the middle of his rookie season.   It seems unlikely the team will not retain him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gman329

If true, this says a few things.  1) the Giants aren't interested in any of the QBs after the top two or three - or maybe one.  2) they believe all will be off the board by 6.  3) trading up is not worth the cost. 4) drafting a QB lower is, in all probability, wasting a pick that could be better spent elsewhere.

I tend to agree.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 12:08:23 PMThe Colts have a ton of cap space, and Richardson had a season-ending injury in the middle of his rookie season.   It seems unlikely the team will not retain him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he played himself into a starting role somewhere.

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on February 05, 2024, 12:29:53 PMI wouldn't be surprised if he played himself into a starting role somewhere.

It's possible but Minshew has been like this pretty much his whole NFL career.  He will have games that are really impressive, and you wonder why he isn't a starter, then he will have games that strongly remind you why he isn't an NFL starter.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 12:08:23 PMThe Colts have a ton of cap space, and Richardson had a season-ending injury in the middle of his rookie season.  It seems unlikely the team will not retain him.

I think you're right, although it may become a question of whether Minshew, The Jockstrap King, is ready to accept his status as an essentially itinerant QB2 for which there is a solid active market. Or maybe not given his 7-6 best ever record with the Colts last season.

Cheers!

uconnjack8

Hard to believe any of this stuff during this time of year. 

Could easily see Giants FO people telling Miller what they want put out there if they are looking at QBs in the draft.