News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Goff’s New Deal

Started by MightyGiants, May 13, 2024, 05:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Mixed feelings about this deal.

On the one hand, it's hard to fault the Lions in any way for wanting to keep what they have built going. This is basically the worst or second worst franchise of all time that is still in existence today, and all of a sudden they're one of the best teams in the league. Goff is at least top 10 (if not top 5) in all the key statistics except QBR, where he is 11th. The guy is very clear a top 10 QB on paper.

On the other hand, one can reasonably question whether Goff is legitimately a top 10 QB in a vacuum. The Lions have one of the best if not the best situations for a QB in the league (elite O line and premium weapons all over the place plus a very good playcaller last year). The Rams have also been down this road with Goff, paying him very well, and they then wanted out of that very quickly to bring in Stafford, with whom they immediately won a SB after coming up a bit short with Goff. I think it is fair to say that the Rams are a very smart franchise. Did the Lions pay elite QB money to a good but not elite QB? I think that's very possible.

Tough one. I'm curious what others think. I can't fault them for doing what they have done, but I can't say for sure if it was a great move. I just don't view Goff the way I do Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, etc talent-wise. That said I can't really argue too much with the decision either, all things considered.

Ed Vette

The Detroit Franchise can't seem to get it all together. Stupid contract for a journeyman QB who will never get them to the trophy. They would have been much better off building a team around Matt Stafford.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 13, 2024, 05:33:09 PMThe Detroit Franchise can't seem to get it all together. Stupid contract for a journeyman QB who will never get them to the trophy. They would have been much better off building a team around Matt Stafford.

Can't argue your point, but this is a team that has been basically a doormat for decades. They finally have a successful year, and they're supposed to let the QB go? They weren't in a position to draft a QB. If you let Goff walk what do you do? Pay Cousins similar money?

I'm with you on the broad point of not ever paying elite QB money to a non-elite QB, but when you look at this organization and their long run history it's hard to kill them too badly for this.

If you want to say they never should have gotten rid of Stafford, fair enough, but now that they were in this situation what should they have done? If you don't pay Goff, who is your QB in 2024?

PSUBeirut

Man, if Jones had played last year like he had in 2022 his contract would be looking like a steal.  As it is, not so much.

EDjohnst1981

"The Detroit Lions and quarterback Jared Goff have agreed to a four-year contract extension worth up to $212 million with $170 million guaranteed, per a league source."

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5443054/2024/05/13/jared-goff-lions-extension/?source=user_shared_article

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 13, 2024, 06:10:43 PMCan't argue your point, but this is a team that has been basically a doormat for decades. They finally have a successful year, and they're supposed to let the QB go? They weren't in a position to draft a QB. If you let Goff walk what do you do? Pay Cousins similar money?

I'm with you on the broad point of not ever paying elite QB money to a non-elite QB, but when you look at this organization and their long run history it's hard to kill them too badly for this.

If you want to say they never should have gotten rid of Stafford, fair enough, but now that they were in this situation what should they have done? If you don't pay Goff, who is your QB in 2024?
They chased him until he caught them. That contract was way over his market value. Which team would have paid him that stupid money. Same with Jones, over rating their own players. Goff doesn't have the body of work Cousins has, and he was stupidly overpaid too.

Too many years of failed draft stock caused this. Too many teams giving up on their first round picks instead of developing them. The mentality of starting a first round pick year one has killed careers.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ralphpal1

Goff did go to the superbowl
I know riding Mcvay  coattails
But still.made it
Beside hurts , purdy and stafford who else made it
What are the 49ers going to do

Jclayton92

I'd argue he's the one game manager in the league currently that you could actually win a super bowl with. Goff has averaged 4,500 yards and 30 tds in 4 of his 8 seasons.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 13, 2024, 05:24:22 PMMixed feelings about this deal.

On the one hand, it's hard to fault the Lions in any way for wanting to keep what they have built going. This is basically the worst or second worst franchise of all time that is still in existence today, and all of a sudden they're one of the best teams in the league. Goff is at least top 10 (if not top 5) in all the key statistics except QBR, where he is 11th. The guy is very clear a top 10 QB on paper.

On the other hand, one can reasonably question whether Goff is legitimately a top 10 QB in a vacuum. The Lions have one of the best if not the best situations for a QB in the league (elite O line and premium weapons all over the place plus a very good playcaller last year). The Rams have also been down this road with Goff, paying him very well, and they then wanted out of that very quickly to bring in Stafford, with whom they immediately won a SB after coming up a bit short with Goff. I think it is fair to say that the Rams are a very smart franchise. Did the Lions pay elite QB money to a good but not elite QB? I think that's very possible.

Tough one. I'm curious what others think. I can't fault them for doing what they have done, but I can't say for sure if it was a great move. I just don't view Goff the way I do Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, etc talent-wise. That said I can't really argue too much with the decision either, all things considered.

I think they did the right thing.  That team is very good so they're not going to be in position to draft a franchise QB any time soon.  Goff is young enough, and has shown enough, that he is probably the best option they're going to have at that position for quite some time. 

If you think of Goff as a journeyman QB I don't think you've been paying attention to what he's done since joining the Lions.  If Jones put up numbers like Goff has we'd be collectively pooping our pants with excitement and throwing all of the money in the world at him.  Goff is pretty good.  He's not in the Mahomes/Jackson/Burrow/Allen tier but he's probably in the next one down.  And that is plenty good enough to win a Super Bowl with in the right situation.  He's in the right situation.

Trench

Quote from: Gmo11 on May 14, 2024, 10:14:26 AMI think they did the right thing.  That team is very good so they're not going to be in position to draft a franchise QB any time soon.  Goff is young enough, and has shown enough, that he is probably the best option they're going to have at that position for quite some time. 

If you think of Goff as a journeyman QB I don't think you've been paying attention to what he's done since joining the Lions.  If Jones put up numbers like Goff has we'd be collectively pooping our pants with excitement and throwing all of the money in the world at him.  Goff is pretty good.  He's not in the Mahomes/Jackson/Burrow/Allen tier but he's probably in the next one down.  And that is plenty good enough to win a Super Bowl with in the right situation.  He's in the right situation.

Agreed. Goff is far from a game manager. His stats are close to if not pro bowl potential

Ed Vette

I heard the same comments about Russell Wilson when some of you guys wanted the Giants to bring him here years ago. I said he was finished. Goff is playing behind one of the best offensive Lines in the league. Daniel Jones would thrive there too. He will win games and choke in the playoffs. His story has been rit and read.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Fletch

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 14, 2024, 10:47:43 AMDaniel Jones would thrive there too. He will win games and choke in the playoffs. His story has been rit and read.

Just stop with this xxxxxxxx already. Daniel Jones on the Lions would look like Daniel Jones. A low skilled passer who cannot make decisions in the pocket. The day Daniel Jones is ever considered a pro bowl player in either college or the Pros will be the first time. The day Daniel Jones is considered a top 10 QB in Passing yards per game; passing TDs; Passes completed like Goff has in several seasons will be the first time; both college and pros.

Russ Wilson has little to do with Goff. He is much younger and has already had success on another team. The whole idea of building around Stafford is really puzzling to me. They decided to build around Goff by trading Stafford for boat load of picks. The Lions were not a good team instantly but, eventually they are hitting their stride after developing talent and lots of it they got in the trade.

THe book is not closed on Goff because he got traded and had a bad year on the Rams. The Rams were in win now mode with a QB in a slump or at worst and in a bad contract. That is neither here nor there.

The Lions have little choice but to pay Goff. They are a playoff team. The Giants are not and had every reason to move on from Jones.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Fletch on May 14, 2024, 01:58:33 PMJust stop with this xxxxxxxx already. Daniel Jones on the Lions would look like Daniel Jones. A low skilled passer who cannot make decisions in the pocket. The day Daniel Jones is ever considered a pro bowl player in either college or the Pros will be the first time. The day Daniel Jones is considered a top 10 QB in Passing yards per game; passing TDs; Passes completed like Goff has in several seasons will be the first time; both college and pros.

Russ Wilson has little to do with Goff. He is much younger and has already had success on another team. The whole idea of building around Stafford is really puzzling to me. They decided to build around Goff by trading Stafford for boat load of picks. The Lions were not a good team instantly but, eventually they are hitting their stride after developing talent and lots of it they got in the trade.

THe book is not closed on Goff because he got traded and had a bad year on the Rams. The Rams were in win now mode with a QB in a slump or at worst and in a bad contract. That is neither here nor there.

The Lions have little choice but to pay Goff. They are a playoff team. The Giants are not and had every reason to move on from Jones.
He puts up the yards but he's averaged 23 TD's a season, had three years with the Rams and Lions where he had avg. 20 TD's a season and his career Rating and QBR are just ok. He's one of the better middle of the pack QB's but this contract is ridiculous. He's the second highest-paid QB in the league.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Jared Goff Just Gets How To Play Quarterback
VIDEO 5/13/24

Greg Cosell examines Jared Goff's fundamental understanding of the quarterback position and why Goff is the perfect fit for Ben Johnson's offense.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/jared-goff-just-gets-how-to-play-quarterback/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE