News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- Update on the Scottie Scheffler

Started by MightyGiants, May 24, 2024, 08:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Louisville police officer who arrested Scottie Scheffler had been previously suspended

QuoteThe police officer who put world No. 1 golfer Scottie Scheffler in handcuffs has a lengthy disciplinary record that includes multiple suspensions, employment records revealed Thursday.

Detective Bryan Gillis took Scheffler into custody May 17 when the golfer sought to enter Valhalla Golf Club as police investigated a nearby fatal accident.

Scheffler has maintained he was following police directions on how to drive into the club. But arresting police said Scheffler did not follow directions.

Further complicating the matter, city officials said Gillis did not activate his body worn camera when he encountered Scheffler.

The only footage, so far, appears to come from a squad car dashboard camera and a roadside pole and both sets of video don't clearly show what led to Scheffler being placed in handcuffs.

This link provides a list of the arresting officer's many discipline issues. The officer has also been disciplined for not activating his body cam.

https://sports.yahoo.com/louisville-police-officer-arrested-scottie-232229744.html

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Not surprised at all on this one and for a variety of reasons. 

Philosophers

Said it before charges woukd be dripped.  Nice guy who may have made a small mistake that did not rise to level of crime and a city realizing the public relations nightmare that would follow if they went forward on subpar evidence.  Would have looked vindictive and not smart.

Jclayton92

It's still kinda wild in 2024 that the police arrest first and think later.

AZGiantFan

Thank goodness there was video, which seemed to undermine the cop's claims.  And there is supposed to be additional video that will be released. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 30, 2024, 11:06:45 AMIt's still kinda wild in 2024 that the police arrest first and think later.

Some southern states pay their police poorly.   As a result, they tend to recruit people in higher-paying states who couldn't pass the entrance tests.  Also, when police in the higher-paying areas get in trouble and are fired or have to quit, they can often get jobs in those lower-paying states.

That all said, I don't know how much this particular police department pays.  I will also add even with stricter entrance exams and the like, some poor officers still get and stay on the force.  Again, I don't think it represents the majority of officers.

I will also add that, compared to other countries, the US requires a high school diploma and around six months of training, which I think is inadequate. If they boosted the education and training requirements, we could improve things.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE