News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT--- NBA Legend, Jerry West dies at 86

Started by LennG, June 12, 2024, 11:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/jerry-west-nba-legend-dies-at-age-86/ar-BB1o5UO3?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=ENTPSP&cvid=a5f0928261f34871bec62a82e716d8af&ei=56

The symbol of the NBA, whose image is on their logo has passed away.
He was always one of my favorite players, except when the Knicks and the Lakers played for the championship.

Truly one of a kind.

May he RIP
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

LennG

a great retelling of this man's career.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

BluesCruz

Amazing how its just a silhouette of a person yet is so recognizable

His movements on the dribble were classic.   His clutch shooting. A basketball genius.
He did everything purposefully and in perfect form.  Sort of like Larry Bird.  Neither played above the rim.  Their movements, their shooting and passing were instinctive and
incredibly effective.

I once attended a basketball lecture with my son given by an Israeli pro player.
His opinion was you could make the pros on dribbling and passing alone.
He himself dribbled for hours as a kid in his families basement

How could you not help but admire Jerry West, even as a Knick fan.  RIP
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Philosophers

I read an article yesterday about how bad his relationship was with the Lakers that he even regretted playing for them.  Apparently, he became good friends with Clipper owner Steve Ballmer.  When he died, the Clippers were the first to write about him.  The Lakers let out a four sentence piece.  Apparently, Jerry West never forgave Jeannie Buss when she listed the five most important Lakers and West was not included in the five.  Most think he should be #1.  One thing is for sure is that Jerry West was also a brilliant manager in drafting, trading for and aggregating talent.

ralphpal1

He was a great player
Then put together showtime as a GM
Then shaq and kobe

BluesCruz

I have to agree with his acumen for picking up talent

In this regard both Larry Bird and Michael Jordan strugged as executives. Jerry West thrived

Why was West so much more effective.  Perhaps the attraction on LA helped lure good players, but he was world class as a player, executive and human being.

I especially remember he was frustrated but gave the Knicks their due after that 7th game.

Incredibly Frazier played Center in game 7 and had 30 plus points, mid teens rebounds, trial double assists and somehow outplayed Chamberlain as a Center.... I think Clyde was 6 foot 5 inches to Wilts 7 foot 2.  unbelievable

I went to see the Knicks play Detroit that pre-season in Detroits arena
I remember remarking to my companion....."the passing is off the chart, the ball is not touching the floor, this team looks elite"  They had just added DeBushere and the change was incredible

Thats what the Giants need....someone on this roster has to rise up and lead us out of the doldrums
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"