News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT - NBA Draft and the Knicks

Started by Philosophers, June 12, 2024, 06:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

I dont know about you but I want to seem them get a Quickley 2.0 out of this draft.  Someone who can score in bunches especially from deep outside would be great.

The guy I'd love to see them get is Rob Dillingam out of Kentucky.  He is a lights out shooter.  He's a bit short at 6'1" - 6'2" but he shoots it well particularly from a dribble.

What do you all think they should do?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on June 12, 2024, 06:44:40 PMI dont know about you but I want to seem them get a Quickley 2.0 out of this draft.  Someone who can score in bunches especially from deep outside would be great.

The guy I'd love to see them get is Rob Dillingam out of Kentucky.  He is a lights out shooter.  He's a bit short at 6'1" - 6'2" but he shoots it well particularly from a dribble.

What do you all think they should do?

That sounds good to me Phil.

I will confess I haven't done a great deal of work on this year's draft nor did I follow college basketball that closely this year.

One concern I have is with our bigs. It seems like we have a pretty high chance of losing Hartenstein, which is unfortunate but it just seems like we can't pay him what at least one other team who is interested can. I'm not s huge believer in Sims, although maybe he can develop. If Hartenstein isn't around, who is going to be our everyday big man whenever Robinson gets his annual 3 month injury?

andrew_nyGiants

I dunno, with a tough choice between our two pivot men (MitchRob & Hartenstein) we may need a cheap option at BIG either pick #24 or #25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Frankly, when you're picking this low, I wouldn't force a pick based on a position. I'd take the player still on the board that I thought had the best shot at developing into at least a contributor if not a starter. At any position.

I also think getting fixated on one single player when you're picking this deep in the first round is a bit of a pointless exercise. Maybe he'll be there, maybe not. Maybe he'll go one pick before you, maybe six picks before you. Better to have the whole gamut of players fully scouted and evaluated and then simply take the best available. If you have exactly equal ratings on two guys that are sitting there, then, and only then, would I base the pick on position.

Jolly Blue Giant

From all I've read, we could very well lose Hartenstein because of our cap...and Minnesota (flush with cap) wants him badly...and unfortunately, money talks. Oklahoma is also suddenly in the bidding. I-Hart no longer flying under the radar. He would love to stay a Knick, but is he willing to forfeit millions to stay a Knick? I don't want to lose him and I think we should do anything and everything to keep him

So...if we lose him, we'll be bundling picks and players to get a big man in the draft  :(

IMO, these are the untouchables: Brunson, Anunoby, Hart, Hartenstein, Deuce, and Divi. Keep them and do what is necessary to build around them
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

nb587

Depending on what they do in free agency, and I think there's a move or 2 even if they cant land a star, I would prefer they find a wing who can run, shoot and play defense.  That said, this is supposed to be a weak draft and that would be a reach even if they traded all 3 picks to move up.  They need someone who can play PG when Brunson is not on the floor.  Duece is not that guy at least not now.  And, if IHart does leave, and I'm not so sure he will, backup center is an important need.  But, both needs can be addressed thru free agency without spending huge money.  NY has become a desirable destination

Philosophers

What about Anunoby?  Do folks think he will automatically be re-signed?  He seems like a really key player to me with his defense.  If the Knicks decide it's an either or choice is IH a more important re-signing than Anunoby? 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on June 13, 2024, 08:50:26 AMWhat about Anunoby?  Do folks think he will automatically be re-signed?  He seems like a really key player to me with his defense.  If the Knicks decide it's an either or choice is IH a more important re-signing than Anunoby? 

If I'm the Knicks I'm bringing him back.

Losing Hartenstein would be unfortunate (if it happens), but my red line priority would be keeping the Nova three (Hart, Donte, Brunson) and OG intact. To me, those four need to be untouchable. Seems like Mitch will be back too - maybe we'll get lucky and get more than 60 games out of him for a change, although I doubt it. Getting a competent backup center if we lose Hartenstein is going to be incredibly important. Simms is not a guy I want starting 35 games next year or having to play 30-plus minutes in playoff games.

Jolly Blue Giant

I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on Today at 08:51:52 AMKnicks want to keep Hartenstein, so they're shopping Mitch

https://nypost.com/2024/06/21/sports/knicks-offering-mitchell-robinson-in-trades-ahead-of-free-agency/

I like their thinking. Mitch is a 60 games a year guy, max. 20 missed games with him is a good outcome. More common is 30-40. It's untenable.

Mitch is really good but they can't be dependent on him if Hartenstein is gone. They'll need to replace Hartenstein with someone else who clearly won't be as good.

Also, Hartenstein is a big part of the chemistry of this team. I wouldn't really say Mitch is as much, because he is absent way too frequently.

Honestly Hartenstein might even be the better overall player at this point (when both are healthy).

nb587

I must be missing something in this conversation.  What does trading Robinson have to do with retaining Hartenstein.  IHart will either take the Knicks 4 year offer or more money from Oklahoma or another team or a shorter term offer from the Knicks.  A shorter term offer will allow IHart to access full free agency earlier here but he's gambling that he produces and stays healthy. 

Still, how would dealing Robinson make them better if they lose IHart?   Would they be able to offer IHart more?

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: nb587 on Today at 10:29:56 AMI must be missing something in this conversation.  What does trading Robinson have to do with retaining Hartenstein.  IHart will either take the Knicks 4 year offer or more money from Oklahoma or another team or a shorter term offer from the Knicks.  A shorter term offer will allow IHart to access full free agency earlier here but he's gambling that he produces and stays healthy. 

Still, how would dealing Robinson make them better if they lose IHart?  Would they be able to offer IHart more?

Yeah, I think that's their reasoning...they can pay him more. IHart is a big part of the core group they want to build around. Easier to draft (or trade for) a decent big man as IHart's backup then to replace IHart. I think they might also be willing to move Randle for the right deal. As it stands, the "seemingly" untouchables that Thibs wants to build around is Brunson, Divy, OG, IHart, and Randle...and he also wants Deuce and Hart to lead the second team and I think Precious Achiuwa might also be a mainstay on team two. Achiuwa has proven himself to fit in with the team very nicely. Don't know if Bogdanović or Sims have proven themselves as keepers

I have a lot of faith in Thibs' decision making

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on Today at 10:29:56 AMStill, how would dealing Robinson make them better if they lose IHart?   Would they be able to offer IHart more?

Oh I don't want them to trade Robinson if they're going to lose Hartenstein. I just meant if presented with a scenario where it was one versus the other, I'd prefer to have Hartenstein.

Philosophers

I always thought what a team can offer its own player is 100% independent of other players on the team.  It's not like they can offer him a number higher than existing max contract by letting another player go.  Unless they are not offering IH a max deal and just want to free up more money.

andrew_nyGiants

Believe it or not one of our biggest challenge areas was missed free throws...they literally lost several games for us.

As much as I love Robinson's game...he has two major Achilles; injuries (missed time) and terrible free throw percentage.

If we move him for something decent, sign Anunoby and Hartenstein...we can draft a solid back-up C late in the first or in the 2nd round.

Keep the core together including the Nova3 and we're good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!