News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If Dak becomes a free agent would you want him?

Started by ralphpal1, June 13, 2024, 08:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphpal1

No matter what you think of Dak
You give him weapons he can do very well
We have weapons now
Lots of weapons
If Dak was on this team we would know we will go to the playoff
Once the playoffs start that might be different
But who knows maybe starting on a new team
He might not be so stressed
Now i wouldnt pay him top 5 QB
Maybe top 10 but then he would probably stay in Dallas but if they want to start over
Would you want him

DaveBrown74

Nope.

Dak has had as much top shelf around him in that offense as any QB in the league throughout his career. They've also had a good to great defense most years. And yet he can't do anything in the playoffs. And we're not talking about a small sample size of years either.

I want one of two things on our team at the QB position. To either pay top dollar to a legitimately great QB, or to be looking for one and keeping the position cheap in the meantime while spending more on other positions. Paying up for mediocre or "decent" at QB is a failed methodology in today's NFL, assuming your aspiration is to win championships. If you're looking to just be perpetually "solid", then sure, but as a fan my sights are set higher than that for this franchise.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 13, 2024, 09:00:41 PMNope.

Dak has had as much top shelf around him in that offense as any QB in the league throughout his career. They've also had a good to great defense most years. And yet he can't do anything in the playoffs. And we're not talking about a small sample size of years either.

I want one of two things on our team at the QB position. To either pay top dollar to a legitimately great QB, or to be looking for one and keeping the position cheap in the meantime while spending more on other positions. Paying up for mediocre or "decent" at QB is a failed methodology in today's NFL, assuming your aspiration is to win championships. If you're looking to just be perpetually "solid", then sure, but as a fan my sights are set higher than that for this franchise.
I think he would be a significant upgrade, but I would only want him at cousin level money. Like 10-12 million less a year than the elites are making.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

madbadger

Nope. He's a lot like Jalen Hurts. His warts are hidden by the absurd amount of skill position talent around him. He's overpaid IMHO, but then again so is Jones. I'd like to roll the dice in next years draft and hopefully have a stud in a rookie contract for four years.

MightyGiants

Two thoughts:

1)  Like many have said, Dak has always enjoyed superior talent and support.  Yet, despite that, his post-season success has been limited.

2) Considering the Cowboys don't have a replacement, if they let Dak walk it speaks volume

Finally, there is the issue raised by @DaveBrown74 (Jeff) about paying elite prices for non-elite QBs.   I think there is some merit to this argument.  However, in fairness, I think Brady and now Mahommes have skewed the data sets, making it difficult to draw conclusions.  Consider QBs most considered elite, like Josh Allen and Joe Burrow, have yet to win an SB themselves and, in the case of Allen, not even make it to the Super Bowl.  Clearly, overpaying for any position, even QB, will make it harder for a team to succeed.  Yet, I am not comfortable declaring that we have definitive data to say what does and doesn't work.  So far I can say if you want to win a Super Bowl, have Brady or Mahomes (along with elite coaching and very good team talent) 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

WheresDayne

Absolutely not.  Not a team player and IMVHO a very over-rated player!  :boooo:

BluesCruz

He would definitely be an upgrade.  So yes, but on a short leash

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jolly Blue Giant

NO! A thousand times no

He's been blessed with one of the best offensive lines in the NFL, and he still has thrown more interceptions than DJ...by a lot! A turnover machine

Not to mention, he's a choke artist in big/meaningful games

If he can't take the loaded Cowboys to the top while having incredible protection, how's he going to take the Giants to the mountain top?
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

Gmo11

I think so yes.  Depending on what it would cost.  If Jones is the alternative Dak is a significant upgrade.  Significant.  Is he elite...probably not...but since they weren't able to position themselves to take a QB in the draft this year (or just didn't want to) and they are likely to be too good to get one in the near future, that might be the only way to upgrade that position without sacrificing an entire draft's worth of picks.

Trench

Does Dak make Giants better?

Herein lies the a big part of the answer. (Albeit not all of the answer)

LennG

Maybe because, to me, he will always be a Cowturd, so my answer will always be NO. I could never get passed that.

AND, as has been said, Dak just can't seem to be able to win the big one. Although I think a lot of his problems stem from the HCs he has been forced to play under. They have been absolutely no help in winning anything but meaningless games during the regular season, but fold up big time when the 'money is on the line'.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

BluesCruz

Quote from: LennG on June 14, 2024, 03:24:33 PMMaybe because, to me, he will always be a Cowturd, so my answer will always be NO. I could never get passed that.

AND, as has been said, Dak just can't seem to be able to win the big one. Although I think a lot of his problems stem from the HCs he has been forced to play under. They have been absolutely no help in winning anything but meaningless games during the regular season, but fold up big time when the 'money is on the line'.

they definitely have the Giants figured out :'(
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

AZGiantFan

Whether with Dallas or elsewhere he will command a bigger contract than Trevor just did, so no.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on June 14, 2024, 10:51:31 AMDoes Dak make Giants better?

Herein lies the a big part of the answer. (Albeit not all of the answer)

Yes, but in my opinion there is more to it than that, which you have noted.

If you sign someone like Dak and get yourself locked in to him on some multi-year deal with a prohibitive guarantee, then all you have is a moderately better version of the same problem we currently have with Jones. The bottom line is we'd be locking ourselves in to a QB who has proven beyond reasonable doubt that he cannot win a Super Bowl, or even come somewhat close. The teams Dallas has had around Dak have been championship caliber in terms of the talent. And yet despite five separate postseason appearance, Dak has only two postseason wins.

If the Giants' goal is just to get better, but definitely not be Super Bowl caliber, then they can go ahead and lock themselves in to a good but not great QB like Dak and find themselves with less money to spend on other players. Their aim can be to win 9 or maybe 10 games in good years, hopefully keep their fans somewhat happy, and then go out with a whimper on wildcard weekend or in the divisional round if they happen to limp into the playoffs. That is what you're signing up for with Dak, and it won't be cheap either.

Me, I would rather pass on Dak and continue to try to find a great QB. Obviously, that is not easy to do, and it may not happen anytime soon. If that's the case, I'm happy to spend much less money on the position in the meantime while we continue to look. Look at what the Browns managed to do last year with Flacco making a few million bucks or what the Bucs managed to do with Mayfield making $6.8mm. Sure, those teams weren't Super Bowl material, but how were their seasons any worse than what Dallas does every year with Dak eating up many times more of the Cowboys' salary cap that those QBs did on their respective teams? Or what the Vikes have done with Cousins? The reality is they're not.

Slice it up any way you want, but you cannot get to the next level in this league if you pay guys who are the 11th-15th best QB elite QB money. It just doesn't work. And there are always veteran options who aren't far behind a lot of these guys but cost only 1/8th of the price or less. In a sport where every spare $1mm of cap space matters, you're talking about major opportunity cost there. It just isn't worth it. We are seeing that now with Jones, and it is why he most likely won't be a Giant after 2024. Let's not make a different version of the same mistake once again.