News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If Dak becomes a free agent would you want him?

Started by ralphpal1, June 13, 2024, 08:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

I'd much rather take a shot in the draft every year until I found a guy instead of paying one immediately. Cost controlled Elite Qbs seem to be the path to super bowls these days.

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I think the disconnect here (for me at least) is the notion that because he is a better QB than Daniel Jones, that means it's automatically a good idea for the team to commit to him and that there are no other considerations. I don't share that view, personally.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 13, 2024, 09:00:41 PMNope.

Dak has had as much top shelf around him in that offense as any QB in the league throughout his career. They've also had a good to great defense most years. And yet he can't do anything in the playoffs. And we're not talking about a small sample size of years either.

I want one of two things on our team at the QB position. To either pay top dollar to a legitimately great QB, or to be looking for one and keeping the position cheap in the meantime while spending more on other positions. Paying up for mediocre or "decent" at QB is a failed methodology in today's NFL, assuming your aspiration is to win championships. If you're looking to just be perpetually "solid", then sure, but as a fan my sights are set higher than that for this franchise.

I am a no on this as well and this answer is why.

kartanoman

It didn't work with Craig Morton, and the Giants received voo-doo for a decade later when the Cowboys let the Manster loose on them, and the rest of the NFL.

It won't work in this scenario, either.

Pass!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Painter

Are you kidding? We're whining about overpaying Daniel Jones, so the solution would be to do something far worse by signing Prescott who, surrounded by far better team talent, has flopped when the chips were down? That can't be serious question.

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Painter on June 16, 2024, 10:46:52 AMAre you kidding? We're whining about overpaying Daniel Jones, so the solution would be to do something far worse by signing Prescott who, surrounded by far better team talent, has flopped when the chips were down? That can't be serious question.

Cheers!

I agree with you.

I think Giants fans may be so starved for even just "solid" QB play that they're willing to overpay for it at this point, even with the full knowledge that the individual in question has been unable to come close to a Super Bowl despite having a superb offensive roster around him his whole career, alongside a (usually) big time defense. I think Giants fans have just become that desperate. It's hard to blame them I guess given what we have had to endure watching for years now.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 16, 2024, 12:23:58 PMI agree with you.

I think Giants fans may be so starved for even just "solid" QB play that they're willing to overpay for it at this point, even with the full knowledge that the individual in question has been unable to come close to a Super Bowl despite having a superb offensive roster around him his whole career, alongside a (usually) big time defense. I think Giants fans have just become that desperate. It's hard to blame them I guess given what we have had to endure watching for years now.

And the other issue is there is no end in sight.  It would be one thing if they were rolling with Devito as the Day 1 starting QB so we can look at the #1 pick in the draft as a lifeline, but with Jones playing they are going to be bad enough to miss the playoffs but good enough to not get a top pick.  So when will it end? 

At least with Dak he can offer hope.  Sure he's got flaws but he's better than what they have and the rest of the team is very close to being built.  Could be worth a shot with Dak if they think simply average QB play is good enough with this roster to compete. 

I don't know what the answer is but I know what the answer isn't.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on June 16, 2024, 04:37:21 PMAt least with Dak he can offer hope. 

This is where I disagree. I don't see how he brings any real hope to the equation, unless by "hope" you mean hope of becoming just an ok, decent team. If that's what you mean then I agree. If by "hope" you mean hope of being a Super Bowl contender, then I would disagree with that. The Cowboys are much better at drafting and player development than we are, and the rosters they have put around Dak have been excellent. And yet Dak hasn't been able to go anywhere in the postseason there despite these great rosters.

Do you see the Giants giving Dak an even remotely comparable roster to what the Cowboys have given him? And even if we did, we already know Dak isn't good enough to win with a big time roster in the playoffs.

So I don't see how he brings much hope, personally, unless the end goal is to just be a solid but not great team.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 16, 2024, 04:45:35 PMThis is where I disagree. I don't see how he brings any real hope to the equation, unless by "hope" you mean hope of becoming just an ok, decent team. If that's what you mean then I agree. If by "hope" you mean hope of being a Super Bowl contender, then I would disagree with that. The Cowboys are much better at drafting and player development than we are, and the rosters they have put around Dak have been excellent. And yet Dak hasn't been able to go anywhere in the postseason there despite these great rosters.

Do you see the Giants giving Dak an even remotely comparable roster to what the Cowboys have given him? And even if we did, we already know Dak isn't good enough to win with a big time roster in the playoffs.

So I don't see how he brings much hope, personally, unless the end goal is to just be a solid but not great team.

Cowboys have had a top 10 or better roster for Dak's entire career.  For most of it there has been a top 5 OL in front of him. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on June 16, 2024, 04:53:29 PMCowboys have had a top 10 or better roster for Dak's entire career.  For most of it there has been a top 5 OL in front of him. 

Yup. And he's 2-5 in postseason play.

Another thing to think about is simply that there is no way the Cowboys would let him go anywhere if he were truly great. If they don't extend him, there is a reason.

Teams let good but not great QBs who are overpaid walk. They don't let great QBs walk. Not in their primes anyway.

BluesCruz

Dak has never had WRs like these.....He's had CeeDee Lamb and a cast of characters
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

kingm56

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 17, 2024, 12:19:04 PMDak has never had WRs like these.....He's had CeeDee Lamb and a cast of characters

lol. Yeah the HoF Jason Whitten, All-Pros Amari Cooper and Dez Bryant,  plus a 1k yard/yr wr Gallop are crap next to our guys. I almost forgot, you're just here to troll...

spiderblue43

Did it with Tark too and no playoff, 1 winning year ( 9-5-1970 season). Now you have massive cap implications with Dak if signed. No!! :no: