News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- If you had to pick just one CB

Started by MightyGiants, June 15, 2024, 09:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

There are players there who were great nor for 2-3 years but like 12 years.  No way I pick a young player today over guys like Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Darrell Greens.  Just don't know who.

andrew_nyGiants

Looking at the entire body of work and versatility, it's difficult NOT to go with Darrell Green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Was Deion left out deliberately? Because he would be my guy for sure. Maybe he was too obvious so they didn't include him to make it a tougher call.

Of this list, it would be Woodson for me. Some might even rank him above Deion. I wouldn't myself, but I think a case could be made. Either way he stands above the others for me.

I am very high on Sauce Gardner, and I think he has a chance to potentially be a top 5 all time corner, but we are a long way from that at this point. For this exercise, I would never choose uncertainty over certainty.

Woodson for me. He was absolutely tremendous.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 15, 2024, 10:46:55 AMWas Deion left out deliberately? Because he would be my guy for sure. Maybe he was too obvious so they didn't include him to make it a tougher call.

Of this list, it would be Woodson for me. Some might even rank him above Deion. I wouldn't myself, but I think a case could be made. Either way he stands above the others for me.

I am very high on Sauce Gardner, and I think he has a chance to potentially be a top 5 all time corner, but we are a long way from that at this point. For this exercise, I would never choose uncertainty over certainty.

I have no idea why he was left out.  I would have included him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Hadron

Neon Deion would've been mine as well.

For this exercise though? Revis Island was no joke.

uconnjack8

Doc16LT56

In his prime I think Revis was the best of this group. But his peak was only about 5-6 seasons. Some of these guys played a high level for well over a decade. I'd probably draft Rod Woodson from this group.

I think they left out Deion Sanders because he's the best corner of all-time, no question about it. He was different. The other guys are all debatable imo.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 15, 2024, 10:46:55 AMWoodson for me. He was absolutely tremendous.
Rod or Charles? Both were great players.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on June 15, 2024, 12:51:44 PMRod or Charles? Both were great players.

Rod for me. Good point that I needed to specify.

Not that Charles wasn't great - clearly he was - but I was referring to Rod.

Hadron

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on June 15, 2024, 12:43:37 PMIn his prime I think Revis was the best of this group. But his peak was only about 5-6 seasons. Some of these guys played a high level for well over a decade. I'd probably draft Rod Woodson from this group.

I think they left out Deion Sanders because he's the best corner of all-time, no question about it. He was different. The other guys are all debatable imo.

Part of me does agree yet I struggle with how the rules (or lack thereof)impact CB play. Back in the day, you could mug WRs which greatly assisted in defensive play. In the modern era? Rule changes increased the difficulty of the position as the NFL encouraged more offensive spectacles.

On a separate note: watching Rod Woodson transition from being a great corner to an equally great safety? Truly impressive.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Hadron on June 15, 2024, 01:56:21 PMPart of me does agree yet I struggle with how the rules (or lack thereof)impact CB play. Back in the day, you could mug WRs which greatly assisted in defensive play. In the modern era? Rule changes increased the difficulty of the position as the NFL encouraged more offensive spectacles.

On a separate note: watching Rod Woodson transition from being a great corner to an equally great safety? Truly impressive.
Great point!

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 15, 2024, 10:46:55 AMWas Deion left out deliberately? Because he would be my guy for sure. Maybe he was too obvious so they didn't include him to make it a tougher call.

I think Rod was a more complete DB than Deion as far as run support and tackling.  Deion should be included though

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on June 15, 2024, 02:46:53 PMI think Rod was a more complete DB than Deion as far as run support and tackling.  Deion should be included though

Deion was just such a dominant, game changing player though. He could win games on his own. Not many corners I would say that about.

It's easy to not like Deion because he is so cocky and such a big mouth, and he played on rival teams to ours, but as a pure player on the field he was truly electric. One of the best ever period (all positions) IMO.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 15, 2024, 03:13:13 PMDeion was just such a dominant, game changing player though. He could win games on his own. Not many corners I would say that about.

It's easy to not like Deion because he is so cocky and such a big mouth, and he played on rival teams to ours, but as a pure player on the field he was truly electric. One of the best ever period (all positions) IMO.

You are 100% right.