News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Individual breakout seasons: a poll

Started by DaveBrown74, June 16, 2024, 11:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you could be guaranteed of a major breakout season for any of the below, whom would you pick?

DaveBrown74

If you could be guaranteed right now of a major, game changing, breakout 2024 season for any of the individuals listed in the poll, whom would you pick and why?

Assume by "breakout" we mean that at a bare minimum this player will be in the Pro Bowl conversation. So for all these listed individuals, that would be a huge step up.

I deliberately did not provide an "other- pls specify" option for this poll because (1) there will be too many Daniel Jones responses if I do this and I really do not want another Jones thread, and (2) there will just be too many other responses, and the thread will be a bit aimless. Let's just please focus on the listed players in this thread. Eight options is plenty to work with.

I also left rookies out because a "breakout" season does not really apply to rookies, so please don't list guys like Theo Johnson and Tracy in this thread. I wanted to focus on players that have been on the team for at least one year and have, so far, have either been outright bad or at least have not really risent to anything close to their perceived potential when they were drafted.

Guests are welcome and encouraged to vote.

So whom did you pick in the poll, and why?

*Edit to add: To be abundantly clear, this is a poll asking you to identify the player you most WANT to have a breakout. Not the player you think is most likely to have a breakout.

Jclayton92

I think it is WDR, he already showed elite analytics this past season when the ball found his hands. He should only be even better a year removed from injury and with Nabers next to him.

Bob In PA

The offensive line is the most important element of a pro football team, so Evan Neal is the key. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 16, 2024, 11:39:43 AMI think it is WDR, he already showed elite analytics this past season when the ball found his hands. He should only be even better a year removed from injury and with Nabers next to him.

Just remember this poll is not your prediction of who it will be, but rather a hypothetical opportunity to guarantee a big year from any of these players. It is not intended to have anything to do with your own personal prediction of which of these player(s) will break out.

Philosophers

I've read it 3x and not sure if you are asking who we want or who we think will have a breakout.  I chose the former which for me means Evan Neal.  He drives the season for us.  His plays guarantees DJ will be at least top 16-18 QBs.  If he is bad DJ is in bottom quartile.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on June 16, 2024, 11:43:32 AMI've read it 3x and not sure if you are asking who we want or who we think will have a breakout.  I chose the former which for me means Evan Neal.  He drives the season for us.  His plays guarantees DJ will be at least top 16-18 QBs.  If he is bad DJ is in bottom quartile.

I read it as want.   I agree, a breakout season by Neal would go a long way towards a good season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

I think Neal is the obvious choice. To me, the opportunity to go from a huge liability at RT to Pro Bowl level performance would be more impactful than anyone else on the list. Plus he's locked up at a reasonable price for another 2 years after this one. Would be huge for the franchise.

I disagree that Neal guarantees success for DJ though. That's next level wishful thinking. I think a lot of people including John Mara think in those terms which is why this franchise has been competing with the Jets for worst in the league over a decade.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on June 16, 2024, 11:54:28 AMI think Neal is the obvious choice. To me, the opportunity to go from a huge liability at RT to Pro Bowl level performance would be more impactful than anyone else on the list. Plus he's locked up at a reasonable price for another 2 years after this one. Would be huge for the franchise.

I disagree that Neal guarantees success for DJ though. That's next level wishful thinking. I think a lot of people including John Mara think in those terms which is why this franchise has been competing with the Jets for worst in the league over a decade.

I don't think you can guarantee Jones would not thrive if he finally received adequate protection any more than one can guarantee success.   Conventional wisdom suggests that the better a QB is protected, the better they play.  So it really comes down to how much better DJ would play.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on June 16, 2024, 11:54:28 AMI think Neal is the obvious choice. To me, the opportunity to go from a huge liability at RT to Pro Bowl level performance would be more impactful than anyone else on the list. Plus he's locked up at a reasonable price for another 2 years after this one. Would be huge for the franchise.

Who said successful?  I said top 16-18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on June 16, 2024, 12:34:42 PMWho said successful?  I said top 16-18

I think that it's reasonable to say that is roughly how DJ did in 2022 (maybe a little higher or lower) but at least in that range
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Philosophers on June 16, 2024, 12:34:42 PMWho said successful?  I said top 16-18
That's a career year or close to it for a guy like Daniel Jones. He finishes middle of the pack and then the zealots in the front office feel vindicated that their mediocre QB is a legitimate franchise player. Nothing Evan Neal does is going to make Daniel Jones more clutch or more cerebral.

londonblue

I went Banks. If Neal fails I am confident Eluemunor will be OK. If Banks fails we have nothing.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 16, 2024, 12:01:33 PMI don't think you can guarantee Jones would not thrive if he finally received adequate protection any more than one can guarantee success.   Conventional wisdom suggests that the better a QB is protected, the better they play.  So it really comes down to how much better DJ would play.
If Neal were to have a breakout season, I think DJ's progress would gradually trend upward. I think he'd have a slow start in the first 4-6 weeks until he's confident in the line. Once he gets comfortable, I think things would slow down for him and he wouldn't rush his progressions. He'd have time to find Nabers, Hyatt, and WDR.

That's why Neal is the only choice, with JMS an honorable mention.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on June 17, 2024, 09:09:11 AMIf Neal were to have a breakout season, I think DJ's progress would gradually trend upward. I think he'd have a slow start in the first 4-6 weeks until he's confident in the line. Once he gets comfortable, I think things would slow down for him and he wouldn't rush his progressions. He'd have time to find Nabers, Hyatt, and WDR.

That's why Neal is the only choice, with JMS an honorable mention.

Tim,

I think you very well may be right, in terms of DJ needing to learn to trust his protection
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE