News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

R.I.P. Bob Newhart

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, July 19, 2024, 07:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Bob Newhart passed away last night at 94 yrs old. One of my favorite actors and comedians of all time
https://decider.com/2024/07/18/r-i-p-bob-newhart-elf-the-bob-newhart-show-comedy-icon-dead-94/
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on July 19, 2024, 07:28:57 AMBob Newhart passed away last night at 94 yrs old. One of my favorite actors and comedians of all time
https://decider.com/2024/07/18/r-i-p-bob-newhart-elf-the-bob-newhart-show-comedy-icon-dead-94/

As a kid, I watched him on the Bob Newhart show.   As a young man, I watched him on the Newhart show.  Finally, I enjoyed his guest appearance on Big Bang.  May the talented comedian who gave me hours of entertainment and plenty of laughs rest in peace
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ozzie

Bob Newhart was a genius of a comedian.
Some of you may not know he released a string of comedy albums in the 60's which won him 3 Grammys.
A lot of the skits were telephone calls throughout history. The one below is one of my favorites.
RIP Bob and thanks for all the laughs.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Jolly Blue Giant

When I was a kid in the late 50s/early 60s, my parents had very few 33lps (in fact, we had more 78 LPs than 33s) and they were mostly big orchestra bands, I remember one Tennessee Williams record, and a couple of Bob Newhart comedy routines. In fact, Bob Newhart is the only person to ever win an Emmy for "LP record of the Year", for comedy routines, and not music. Even as an 8 or 9-year-old kid, I used to laugh at his stuff. He was the epitome of "deadpan". Great comedy needs the "straight" guy (not straight as in sexual preference, but the one with common sense) surrounded by goof balls. Newhart was the perfect straight guy, whether dealing with three brothers Larry, Darrell, and Darrell or working with Leo in "George and Leo", or a psychologist working with crazies, or his bedroom scenes with Emily (Suzanne Pleshette). Tremendous talent for making people laugh. He will be missed  :(

Bob the Psychologist:

Dick the innkeeper in Vermont - the finale:
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

kartanoman

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on July 19, 2024, 02:10:09 PMWhen I was a kid in the late 50s/early 60s, my parents had very few 33lps (in fact, we had more 78 LPs than 33s) and they were mostly big orchestra bands, I remember one Tennessee Williams record, and a couple of Bob Newhart comedy routines. In fact, Bob Newhart is the only person to ever win an Emmy for "LP record of the Year", for comedy routines, and not music. Even as an 8 or 9-year-old kid, I used to laugh at his stuff. He was the epitome of "deadpan". Great comedy needs the "straight" guy (not straight as in sexual preference, but the one with common sense) surrounded by goof balls. Newhart was the perfect straight guy, whether dealing with three brothers Larry, Darrell, and Darrell or working with Leo in "George and Leo", or a psychologist working with crazies, or his bedroom scenes with Emily (Suzanne Pleshette). Tremendous talent for making people laugh. He will be missed  :(

Bob the Psychologist:

Dick the innkeeper in Vermont - the finale:

Was a "Newhart" fan in the 80s, Tuesdays on CBS, if I remember correctly. Always got a kick out of Larry, Darrell and Darrell before they got pulled to do A&W Root Beer commercials.

RIP Bob, great entertainer!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

LennG

To be honest, I was never a fan of the original Bob Newhart Show. That said, I LOVED the second show, Newhart, and after that, I went back and watched the original and loved that also. I also remember Bob doing his phone bits on the Ed Sullivan Show.
He also played a small but important part in the Desperate Housewives' show.

Just a joy to watch--no in your face comedy, no cursing to get laughs, just be funny and surround yourself with funny people.

He will be missed.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss