News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Mojo’s Corner - 2024 Camp Reports

Started by MightyGiants, July 24, 2024, 10:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
Notes from today's Giants practice:

• Veteran offensive lineman Greg Van Roten, who was signed on Tuesday, was thrown right into the mix. Van Roten has mostly been a guard during his career, but he has some experience at center. With John Michael Schmitz sitting out his fourth straight practice, Van Roten was inserted as the starting center.

The 34-year-old is still working into football shape, so he only took the first two reps of team periods before being replaced by Austin Schlottman. Van Roten didn't participate in the final team period of practice, which was an up-tempo move-the-ball period.

Expect Van Roten to settle in at right guard when Schmitz returns, but the Giants clearly have concerns with their backup center options based on the center reps they've given Van Roten and Jon Runyan, who worked exclusively at left guard today.

• Second-round pick Tyler Nubin returned after missing five practices with a calf injury. Nubin split reps on the second-team defense as he ramped up.

• Veteran WR Isaiah McKenzie had his most active practice of camp. He got reps with the first-team offense in 4-WR sets with Darius Slayton's workload reduced. McKenzie caught one pass from Daniel Jones and three passes from Drew Lock.

• The Giants continue to experiment with a ton of different personnel groupings. Running backs Devin Singletary and Tyrone Tracy were on the field together for a few plays today.

• Rookie RB Dante Miller got some first-team reps today. He dropped passes from Jones and Tommy DeVito.

• With this being a heavy second/third-and-long practice, the defense was in dime often. Dru Phillips was the slot corner with Nick McCloud at LB next to Bobby Okereke.

• Dyontae Johnson continues to take advantage of first-team reps with Micah McFadden (hamstring) still on a pitch count and Carter Coughlin (lower body) not practicing. Johnson had an interception of Jones off of an Okereke tip and a sack.

The key for Johnson to make a real push for a roster spot will be on special teams. Coughlin and Matthew Adams are established special teamers and Darius Muasau is a rookie draft pick.

• Kayvon Thibodeaux beat Andrew Thomas twice today. He may have had a sack on the deep TD pass to Malik Nabers and he definitely would have had a sack later in practice. Thibodeaux got in the backfield so quickly on the second play that I had to confirm that it was actually Thomas at LT.

• The Giants practiced full-team kickoff returns for the first time during camp. McKenzie and Gunner Olszewski were the first pair back. They were followed by Miller/Tyrone Tracy and Jacob Saylors/Ayir Asante.
1:41 PM · Aug 1, 2024
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

https://x.com/DDuggan21/status/1819039074688110919

https://x.com/DDuggan21/status/1819037084495008185

Big Blue Huddle
@BigBlueHuddle

Add column

Search
Decks
Opens dialog to manage your decks
Opens dialog to create a new deck
New Deck

Personal
Personal
Opens dialog to manage the selected deck

More

Pro

List
Giants News

@DDuggan21

See new posts
Conversation
Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
Daniel Jones bounced back with his best practice of camp after his worst on Tuesday. He threw a really nice deep ball for a TD to Malik Nabers, who got behind Cor'Dale Flott, and a deep TD to a wide-open Jalin Hyatt on a scramble drill. Also had a nice pass to Theo Johnson up the seam. Lowlight was an interception by Dyontae Johnson off an impressive leaping tip by Bobby Okereke on a pass into traffic over the middle.
11:44 AM · Aug 1, 2024
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

expatriot

Seems like Jones is under throwing his WR's.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

Deyonte is the breakout camp guy this year. Very active according to Bobby and Justin. DJ's arm strength is being scrutinized each practice...but he had his best day..for what it's worth.

MightyGiants

Ed and I in attendance
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Rich and Ed - from your vantage point does it look like Jones is practicing looking off the safeties in the practice setting drills/11 on 11 etc?

MightyGiants

Ezeudu was carted off at the end of practice.  Not sure what happened.  Justin said he was limping before the cart ride.  I'm not sure if the cart was due to the injury or just because it was too hot and the guys were all exhausted.  Before getting hurt he was alternated between LG and LT (I thought he looked a bit better at guard)

It was hot and miserable at practice today.  Schlottmann was puking his guts out about 15 minutes before camp ended.  I never recall seeing that before

Theo did not do a good job blocking on a couple of blocking attempts I got to see.

They were doing route drills.  Nabers runs routes at a whole other level than his teammates.  Plus, Nabers is seriously flexible and jacked.

I really like Gunner as a WR.

I think Hyatt has improved over last season.

There is little difference between Lock and DeVito.  (more Lock is not looking great, although DeVito seems a bit improved)

DJ looked good, especially in the 2-minute drill.  I wonder if DJ overthinks.  He seems better in the hurry-up where he doesn't have time to overthink

Burns continues to impress.

Van Roten took quite a few snaps at center (although after the number 2 man started spewing chunks even Kubas took snaps at center)

The baby bison earned himself a sack with the ones

I am really not impressed with RB Gray.  I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make the roster
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE