News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Interesting wrinkle in the Wink saga

Started by MightyGiants, January 09, 2024, 11:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

The Paul Schwartz article I just posted is well worth the read.  Here are a couple of clips

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Also, be mindful that most of what I have posted recently is likely being put out there by NYG.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

coggs

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2024, 07:40:07 PMAlso, be mindful that most of what I have posted recently is likely being put out there by NYG.
Yesterday you were alluding to this making Daboll look bad.  Still feel that way?

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2024, 07:40:07 PMAlso, be mindful that most of what I have posted recently is likely being put out there by NYG.

The "all about collaboration" line feels very self serving to Daboll's camp. And makes sense they're now trying to push back against Wink's media efforts.

BluesCruz

Wink was told in a meeting with Schoen and Daboll that that his two Asst brothers were being terminated

Wink stood up, offered some choice words, threatened to resign

Slammed the door

And then headed to Newark Airport for a flight to Sarasota where he was seen boarding a plane

Thats the long and short of it.

Apparently, Daboll thought Wink had built his own empire with the brothers help and felt he (Wink) had a direct channel to Mara and Schoen. Daboll wanted to destroy that little chatel and bring Wink more directly under his control

This is a mess.  If Wink does resign formally he forfeits a 3 million dollar paycheck and cannot sign elsewhere for 1 yr without NY Giants release.

Its customary for coaches to remain in the building after a season to hold 
performance reviews.  Wink just took an Uber to Newark Liberty

Where are we?  In limbo apparently

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

killarich

EDjohnst1981

GordonGekko80

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 10, 2024, 06:29:48 AMhttps://nypost.com/2024/01/09/sports/wink-martindale-cursed-out-giants-brian-daboll-after-firings/

Assuming this is true, I think the Giants knew exactly what they were doing when they fired Drew and Kevin Wilkins. The reaction of Wink was probably foreseeable. Best case scenario would've been that Wink swallows the pill, but he didn't do it.

This sounds a lot like what happend with Buddy Ryan when he worked for the Houston Oilers. At the end of the day, Wink will leave anyways, whether it's this or next year.

So as much as I like the style of D he runs, it's probably better to look forward and change what needs to be changed.

Equally, Kudos to Daboll for making sure this didn't leak during the season and keep it down as good as he was able to.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on January 10, 2024, 05:51:46 AMIs there a link to confirm this?

Those quotes are from the PS article I posted in the proceeding post
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 08:03:16 AMThose quotes are from the PS article I posted in the proceeding post

Rich,

After reading all of this I can't help but think some of this type of stuff is at least partially why Wink was pushed out in Baltimore.

coggs

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on January 09, 2024, 12:52:01 PMThere are more problems on D than what you're seeing.
Agreed.  For the most part, every decent team they played had no trouble moving the ball up and down the field.

MightyGiants

Quote from: coggs on January 09, 2024, 07:56:55 PMYesterday you were alluding to this making Daboll look bad.  Still feel that way?

I posted a new thread of all my thoughts on the issue (and the bigger picture) after having digested all of the news.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

coggs

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 10, 2024, 07:48:43 AMAssuming this is true, I think the Giants knew exactly what they were doing when they fired Drew and Kevin Wilkins. The reaction of Wink was probably foreseeable. Best case scenario would've been that Wink swallows the pill, but he didn't do it.

This sounds a lot like what happend with Buddy Ryan when he worked for the Houston Oilers. At the end of the day, Wink will leave anyways, whether it's this or next year.

So as much as I like the style of D he runs, it's probably better to look forward and change what needs to be changed.

Equally, Kudos to Daboll for making sure this didn't leak during the season and keep it down as good as he was able to.
They may have planned to fire the Wilkins for a while, but wanted to speak to let him know first.  May not have been some big conspiracy to get rid of Martindale.  May have wanted to explain to him why they were making the move and hoping that he would understand.  Then, he allegedly blew up, and that was it.