News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Interesting wrinkle in the Wink saga

Started by MightyGiants, January 09, 2024, 11:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
As Wink Watch hits Day 3, my guess is this gets resolved sooner than later despite how ugly it's gotten. Neither side benefits from a protracted stare down.

There has been maneuvering by both sides, but here's the bottom line: Wink doesn't want the Giants, the Giants don't want Wink.

Wink is repped by Jimmy Sexton, who is one of the most experienced/powerful agents in the game. The Giants have dealt with Sexton in the past and they'll deal with him again. The sides should be able to broker a deal that they can live with, and everyone can move on with their lives.
8:07 AM · Jan 10, 2024
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 10, 2024, 07:48:43 AMAssuming this is true, I think the Giants knew exactly what they were doing when they fired Drew and Kevin Wilkins. The reaction of Wink was probably foreseeable. Best case scenario would've been that Wink swallows the pill, but he didn't do it.

This sounds a lot like what happend with Buddy Ryan when he worked for the Houston Oilers.
At the end of the day, Wink will leave anyways, whether it's this or next year.

So as much as I like the style of D he runs, it's probably better to look forward and change what needs to be changed.

Equally, Kudos to Daboll for making sure this didn't leak during the season and keep it down as good as he was able to.

Well at least Wink didn't punch Kafka in the head on national TV!

Rumor is that Wink told Daboll he can't run an offense on his way out of the interview and that they routinely couldn't get pas this D during practice.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

There is a picture of Wink at the Airport with his belongings in a giant backpack

Must be flying Spirit Airlines....thats what people do to avoid their draconian baggage fees

Pathetic

This guy coached his arse off and Daboll has nothing to show for 2 years of trying to jumpstart the leagues worst offense

Id hire Pierce as HC if the Raiders are dumb enough to give Jim Harbaugh a 2nd chance in the NFL.  Like Daboll Harbaugh wants to be the King.  NFL athletes are like herding cats.  It did not work in SFO and wont in Vegas

If Schoen doesnt like it.  Send him packing too before he lets McKinney walk the way he did Julian Love (now a Pro Bowl Saftey)

Shoen looks like a bright young GM....sometimes looks are deceiving
So far he is making Gettleman look good (well not as bad). It looks like he made a bad HC choice (hothead), its still time to fix that.  As for Jones there must be some NFL team that likes him.  He is an intriguing QB.  Best legs in the game, Looks the part, has a cannon.  Someone must think he can be salvaged.

Also Shoen needs to get the defensive free agents under contract before they follow Wink to whereever

It seems Daboll treats every Press interview like a trip to the Dentist.
No smiles, no information......a guy from the Belichick tree if there ever was one. 

I like HCs who smile once in a while- Pete Carroll, Vince Lombardi, Bill Parcells come to mind

I met Bill in Pleasantville NY on the final day of training camp. Nicest guy in the world. Didnt know me from Adam but could not have been more gracious.

Pierce is not a smile a minute guy but I've seen him smile
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

T200

There may have been some missteps by Daboll and the Giants but I'm 100% in their corner. I mean, this is the team I root for... better or worse. If I can continue to support them after the way they got rid of Coughlin after what he did for this franchise, I can certainly stick by them versus a guy who has had no success with the team and behaves like a petulant child when he doesn't get his way.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

GordonGekko80

Quote from: TDToomer on January 10, 2024, 09:05:55 AMWell at least Wink didn't punch Kafka in the head on national TV!

:D  =))

coggs

One of the things I have said for years (thinking a few will chime in here just like Pavlov's dogs) is that Mara is A LOT more involved then he tries to lead on.  The same as Snyder, Jones, Davis, just less vocal and public about it.  One of the things that was reported was Wink had the attitude that he was one of Mara's guys and he only has to report to ownership. IF this is true, then it is a huge problem and another example of why he and Tisch need to stay the F out of these decisions.  Yes, hire Schoen as GM.  Have to let Schoen hire the head coach.  Let the head coach hire the assistants.  If there are certain people Mara doesn't want as head coach, tell Schoen up front, "Do not hire that Coggs guy.  There are some things about him that are not public, but if it ever gets out, we are screwed." Leave it at that.  Schoen and Mara can say the same to Daboll regarding assistants.  Can't have a Coordinator who thinks he is above the head coach and gm because he was hand-picked by the owner.

MightyGiants

Quote from: coggs on January 10, 2024, 09:29:58 AMOne of the things I have said for years (thinking a few will chime in here just like Pavlov's dogs) is that Mara is A LOT more involved then he tries to lead on.  The same as Snyder, Jones, Davis, just less vocal and public about it.  One of the things that was reported was Wink had the attitude that he was one of Mara's guys and he only has to report to ownership. IF this is true, then it is a huge problem and another example of why he and Tisch need to stay the F out of these decisions.  Yes, hire Schoen as GM.  Have to let Schoen hire the head coach.  Let the head coach hire the assistants.  If there are certain people Mara doesn't want as head coach, tell Schoen up front, "Do not hire that Coggs guy.  There are some things about him that are not public, but if it ever gets out, we are screwed." Leave it at that.  Schoen and Mara can say the same to Daboll regarding assistants.  Can't have a Coordinator who thinks he is above the head coach and gm because he was hand-picked by the owner.

In some ways, I think the issue cuts both ways. There are the points you raise, which are sound.  On the other hand, when you are managing well, you earn the respect of the people under you, and they don't even think of going to the owner because they are satisfied in the way they are being treated and heard.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: Philosophers on January 09, 2024, 12:46:31 PMWhy would Giants blow up defensive coaching when the O side and STs are the problem?

Daboll has control freak issues it seems

He could not tolerate a DC getting more credit than him

The fire the Brothers ploy to get Wink to resign fooled absolutely no one

the whole thing blew up in Daboll's face and diservidely so

On the DC replacement thing, I'd go after that guy who was Harbaugh's DC this year at Michigan.  He does have NFL experience as the DBs coach of the Ravens

Not sure if he worked for Wink there

If Mara really wants Wink back there is always a way-  Fire the non performing Daboll and bring back Wink as HC/DC.   
Schoen should never have dragged along his buddy from the Bills in the 1st place
He should have organized a real search for the best available candidate

Man is this ever unexpected unwelcome drama or what?

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 09:56:56 AMI suspect the owners may be among those that want things to be ironed out

https://x.com/RalphVacchiano/status/1745095210021868017?s=20

https://x.com/RalphVacchiano/status/1745095922688643080?s=20

Bit too late for that. The theatrics of Wink's departure are too out there. And they're just setting themselves up for an in-season firing in 2024 when things go south between the two. Business is business and if Wink quits, then the Giants can block him as they see fit. But he's trying to force their hand to fire him so he can do whatever he wants. The Giants don't owe him anything.

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on January 10, 2024, 10:00:20 AMBit too late for that. The theatrics of Wink's departure are too out there. And they're just setting themselves up for an in-season firing in 2024 when things go south between the two. Business is business and if Wink quits, then the Giants can block him as they see fit. But he's trying to force their hand to fire him so he can do whatever he wants. The Giants don't owe him anything.

From what I hear, one thing being reported is the Giants want some control over Wink's next destination.  They don't want him to go down the Turnpike and go work for the Eagles.

To me, that is also damning.  If you think so highly of Wink's ability as a DC that you fear him going to a rival, why didn't you make things work with him?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: TDToomer on January 10, 2024, 09:05:55 AMWell at least Wink didn't punch Kafka in the head on national TV!

Rumor is that Wink told Daboll he can't run an offense on his way out of the interview and that they routinely couldn't get pas this D during practice.

Well he did struggle as an offensive HC

With Barkley running for 1.7 yds half the time, dropping passes like greased pigs and Jones throwing short 99% of the time any offense would struggle

Then again Daboll kept those 2 guys out there all day long

coggs

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 10:02:41 AMFrom what I hear, one thing being reported is the Giants want some control over Wink's next destination.  They don't want him to go down the Turnpike and go work for the Eagles.

To me, that is also damning.  If you think so highly of Wink's ability as a DC that you fear him going to a rival, why didn't you make things work with him?
You are assuming they didn't try.  Like in A Few Good Men,

Jessup: What do you think of Lt. Kendrick?
Markenson: Frankly Nathan I don't think my personal opinion of Kendrick matters.
Jessup:  Personally, I think he is an XXXXXXX.  BUT, he is a damn good officer and at the end of the day we see eye to eye on how to run a unit.

However, in this situation I do not see why the Giants are wrong for wanting to prevent him from going to a team.  Doesnt seem like this is a case of they think he is a bad D Coordinator.  He is under contract.  They haven't fired him.  He stormed out because they fired his friend.  If Bobby Johnson wants to go to the Eagles, Mara would probably write him a glowing recommendation.  At some point they can say he is being replaced due to job abandonment.  Then, that is where the lawyers get involved about whether he can coach somewhere else next year.