News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Everything COVID-19

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: umassgrad on July 22, 2020, 05:46:58 PM
T200- me as well, I spent 25 years teaching internationally with stops in Shanghai, Cairo, Delhi, Taipei and Casablanca. I just moved back to the US last year.
That's awesome! I really loved being overseas.

How did you feel being the American foreigner? For me and my family, being a part of the military, we still had some semblance of American society. Although our last stint in Germany, we lived out in town about 30 minutes from the base and soaked up the German culture and they embraced us as their own. But they definitely had lots of questions that left me a little more than embarrassed to realize how we were seen.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 22, 2020, 05:31:14 PM
Stories relating to a study by Oxford (link below) raises an aspect of virology that I don't remember much talk about in the political arena.  Since there is nothing political in it, I offer if for your consideration.

There is apparently a theory (now probably more than just a theory) that certain vaccines we already have and take may explain, for example, why some people display almost no symptoms although they have covid.

That is only one of the possible takeaways, if this study is correct, IMO.

Bob

https://reaction.life/we-may-already-have-herd-immunity-an-interview-with-professor-sunetra-gupta/

Bob,

I had to Google the study

This is from the Finacial Times

QuoteHowever, the modelling by Oxford
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

umassgrad

For T200- living overseas: I loved every moment of being a foreigner but I never brought the American "greatest country in the world" attitude with me. I embraced the local culture and the locals embraced me and my family. I vacationed in Morocco as the guests of a Muslim family as they wanted to repay us for hosting their children at our home for Christmas. My children received daycare from a Berber women while in Morocco, a lovely Filippino while in Taipei, and the sweetest Chinese national while in Shanghai. None of them could speak English but they loved our children dearly. The most amazing Taiwanese family were there for the birth of our second child while in Taipei. No one in the hospital could speak English and as I was leaving the hospital to settle the bill the Taiwanese mother looked at me and said everything was all set and I should just go home to be with our baby girl. After 9/11 while our church mourned a group of local Domincans entered our church and surrounded the pews and sang Amazing Grace with us to show their support for us and our country. I will never forget that moment and so much more. I have many more stories of the love me and my family received while living overseas. It's for these reasons I'm bothered by Muslim bans, xxxx hole country comments and the building of walls to keep people out.

T200

Quote from: umassgrad on July 22, 2020, 06:28:26 PM
For T200- living overseas: I loved every moment of being a foreigner but I never brought the American "greatest country in the world" attitude with me. I embraced the local culture and the locals embraced me and my family. I vacationed in Morocco as the guests of a Muslim family as they wanted to repay us for hosting their children at our home for Christmas. My children received daycare from a Berber women while in Morocco, a lovely Filippino while in Taipei, and the sweetest Chinese national while in Shanghai. None of them could speak English but they loved our children dearly. The most amazing Taiwanese family were there for the birth of our second child while in Taipei. No one in the hospital could speak English and as I was leaving the hospital to settle the bill the Taiwanese mother looked at me and said everything was all set and I should just go home to be with our baby girl. After 9/11 while our church mourned a group of local Domincans entered our church and surrounded the pews and sang Amazing Grace with us to show their support for us and our country. I will never forget that moment and so much more. I have many more stories of the love me and my family received while living overseas. It's for these reasons I'm bothered by Muslim bans, xxxx hole country comments and the building of walls to keep people out.
That's awesome! I love hearing stories like that. The world has so much offer and I feel tremendously blessed to have experienced some of the different cultures. Glad you have some fond memories to last a lifetime!  :ok:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: umassgrad on July 22, 2020, 06:28:26 PM

Thank you, for sharing, Karl

Great stories
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jim143

Update from the Florida Fiasco

Numerous people are being popped as positive and they never took the test!  Apparently they registered, got in line, but didnt want to wait the 3+ hours. . . so if they were #15, the person who is number 16 is now #15 and the wrong person got the wrong results.

There are also 3 counties in the central portion of the state that were reporting anywhere from 88%, 96% and 100% (alachua county) positive results.  Not cool.

The governor is opening an investigation into it and the initial changes over the last month or two went from about 90,000 positive to 11,000 positive. . . .a 79,000 person swing! 

They are also investigating the types of deaths because (I think alachua again) had a motorcycle fatality that was reported as covid.  There is (at this time, and publicly released from my "inside sources", that the deceased had even been tested or if he had, what the results were. . . .
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

umassgrad

interesting, please share some links as this is not coming up in my news feed.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jim143 on July 22, 2020, 06:46:30 PM
Update from the Florida Fiasco

Numerous people are being popped as positive and they never took the test!  Apparently they registered, got in line, but didnt want to wait the 3+ hours. . . so if they were #15, the person who is number 16 is now #15 and the wrong person got the wrong results.

There are also 3 counties in the central portion of the state that were reporting anywhere from 88%, 96% and 100% (alachua county) positive results.  Not cool.

The governor is opening an investigation into it and the initial changes over the last month or two went from about 90,000 positive to 11,000 positive. . . .a 79,000 person swing! 

They are also investigating the types of deaths because (I think alachua again) had a motorcycle fatality that was reported as covid.  There is (at this time, and publicly released from my "inside sources", that the deceased had even been tested or if he had, what the results were. . . .

Jim,

I spent 3 months doing testing.   Sounds like you guys have a lot to learn.   We essentially had to make our own systems from scratch and while they weren't perfect, there was nearly no chance of results getting switched.   You registered online,  then when you came your information was all confirmed and you were given paper work and a test kit and when you got to the testing tent your information was double checked.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jim143

I have not gone through a testing process personally, so I don
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

LennG

Quote from: T200 on July 22, 2020, 05:34:47 PM
I've had the fortune and blessing to live in both Asia and Europe for a number of years. We don't fully realize how the world sees us until we are on the outside looking in.

https://www.today.com/money/niagara-falls-boats-show-stark-difference-between-social-distancing-us-t187466

Tim and Karl

I didn't have the time to spend as much time overseas as you guys. I was in Germany for 3 years and we have traveled around parts of Europe from our cruises.
One thing I learned very early was never to compare anything USA to what they have in their countries. My example, while in Germany, it was fairly easy to catch a shuttle to London and I did this quite a few times. In fact I was sort of dating a nice young lady there. She took me to a party,a nd many wanted to know things about the USA. Being from NY, I was saying, well Picadilly Circus reminds me of Times Square. That, to them was offensive. Since Picadilly Circus was there many more years before Times Square, I should have said that Times Square reminds me of Picadilly Circus. The way I worded it, made them feel everything USA was better than the similar things in London. I found that same attitude in Amersterdam also. So I learned very quickly, you want to make friends of locals, theirs is better,a t least while you are there.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on July 22, 2020, 05:51:57 PM
That's awesome! I really loved being overseas.

How did you feel being the American foreigner? For me and my family, being a part of the military, we still had some semblance of American society. Although our last stint in Germany, we lived out in town about 30 minutes from the base and soaked up the German culture and they embraced us as their own. But they definitely had lots of questions that left me a little more than embarrassed to realize how we were seen.

umass:  Aha! You're a teacher.  My dad was also (then he became principle, then superintendent).  My sister still is, and guess what she teaches.... she teaches English to children in China (via Internet).  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

philo43

Quote from: umassgrad on July 22, 2020, 06:55:49 PM
interesting, please share some links as this is not coming up in my news feed.

Here is he motorcycle accident

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-questions-raised-after-fatal-motorcycle-crash-listed-as-covid-19-death

"ORLANDO, Fla. - (UPDATE) On Saturday, Kent Donahue, from Dr. Pino's office, said the motorcyclist's death "was reviewed and he was taken off the list for COVID fatalities."

Two days after a FOX 35 investigation, health officials confirm that a motorcycle death that was initially counted among COVID-19 fatalities has been removed from the state's data. "

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on July 23, 2020, 05:54:14 AM
Here is he motorcycle accident

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-questions-raised-after-fatal-motorcycle-crash-listed-as-covid-19-death

"ORLANDO, Fla. - (UPDATE) On Saturday, Kent Donahue, from Dr. Pino's office, said the motorcyclist's death "was reviewed and he was taken off the list for COVID fatalities."

Two days after a FOX 35 investigation, health officials confirm that a motorcycle death that was initially counted among COVID-19 fatalities has been removed from the state's data. "

This pisses me off.   People who refuse to isolate when they know they have Covid, are morally as bad as drunk drivers (maybe worse, since they make their decision sober).   You have Covid you stay home, not go on joy rides on your motorcycle.  You are deliberately endangering others by not staying home.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jim143

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 23, 2020, 06:02:46 AM

This pisses me off.   People who refuse to isolate when they know they have Covid, are morally as bad as drunk drivers (maybe worse, since they make their decision sober).   You have Covid you stay home, not go on joy rides on your motorcycle.  You are deliberately endangering others by not staying home.

What am I missing?  I have read that article many times and there is no where mentioned that they were positive Covid.  So, why should they isolate if they are not positive?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jim143 on July 23, 2020, 06:48:58 AM
What am I missing?  I have read that article many times and there is no where mentioned that they were positive Covid.  So, why should they isolate if they are not positive?

Read the older version of the story below
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE