News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Quote from: Sem on July 26, 2024, 09:23:45 PMWhat was the name of the show?

Good Question. I had it on my DVR and erased it after watching. Let me see if I can find it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

As for me, I had the TV on all day, catching as much as I could have of the Olympic Opening Ceremony in Paris. Absolutely blew my mind. The amount of work that goes into that, with probably 5 years or more of practice and building the gimmicks and people doing dangerous acts left me stunned. The submarine going down the Seine hoisting the mechanical horse that appeared to be running on top of the water (with a real rider), women floating in the air on 40' poles as they whipped back and forth, Celine Dion hammering out an opera rendition from the Eiffel Tower, the headless body holding the head of Marie-Antoinette who was bitching about what they did to her, and lighting a ridiculous balloon to soar hundreds of feet in the air with the lighting of the Olympic start. Amazing stuff

The lighting of the flame that will remain lit for the next couple of weeks, suspended hundreds of feet in the air
https://www.nbcnews.com/video/olympic-cauldron-lit-by-flame-for-paris-games-215791685972

CĂ©line Dion (too sick to sing wows everyone from the Eiffel Tower
https://www.nbcnews.com/video/celine-dion-performs-at-olympic-games-opening-ceremony-amid-health-issues-215786565780

The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Wrapped up "Presumed Innocent" on Apple TV the other day. I'd give it a solid B+. I would not let the fact that you've watched the 1990s movie version of this story starring Harrison Ford stop you from watching this one. It is different on many levels. Overall I found it very entertaining, and so did my wife. Peter Saarsgard is superb in it, and Gyllenhall more than gets the job done in the lead.

I generally find I'm not a huge fan of Apple TV, as on average I find their contact to be inferior to a number of the other pay streaming services, but not all of their stuff is bad and sometimes they put out something very good. I would put "Presumed Innocent" in the very good category.

LennG

Yesterday I watched a movie I had not seen in over 50 years. I watched 'A Clockwork Orange' by director Stanley Kubrick.

I don't know how many have seen this movie, but to some, it is a masterpiece, and to others, just trash. Myself, I loved it 50 years ago but my wife simply hates this movie so I just never rewatched it for all these years, but TCM had it on the other day and I copied it and watched it again. 50 years does a lot in terms of what we saw then as really controversial as to now when things and attitudes are so different. I still liked the movie, but again, when it came out it was sort of ground-breaking stuff, today, not so, but in some respects, it is more relevant today.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I love "Clockwork Orange." It's deeply disturbing, but it's an absolute masterclass of film making IMHO.

Bill Brown

"Sleeping Dogs". Russell Crowe. I enjoyed it. Also "Land of Bad" with  Crowe. Not that I'm a big Russell Crowe but just happened to stumble on these 2. Both were  2024 releases.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

LennG

Has anyone ever watched 'Secrets of the Skinwalker Ranch'? 

Charlie Weiss

kartanoman

Quote from: LennG on July 29, 2024, 03:27:49 PMHas anyone ever watched 'Secrets of the Skinwalker Ranch'? 

Not only do I watch it, Lenn, I'm a full-fledged member. It's a great series along with its partner show, "Beyond Skinwalker Ranch."

Fascinating results this past season. But I think you have to look at it from the multiple phenomena occurring throughout this country and, possibly, throughout the world.

They ended this past season successfully punching their borehole through the Mesa so next year should be interesting in terms of how they use it to further analyze what's buried in there. There is some interesting things going on that I believe are part government concealment and part not originating from this world; I'll leave it at that.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Philosophers

I am a few episodes into Shogun.  Very good so far.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 28, 2024, 07:42:55 AMWrapped up "Presumed Innocent" on Apple TV the other day. I'd give it a solid B+. I would not let the fact that you've watched the 1990s movie version of this story starring Harrison Ford stop you from watching this one. It is different on many levels. Overall I found it very entertaining, and so did my wife. Peter Saarsgard is superb in it, and Gyllenhall more than gets the job done in the lead.

I generally find I'm not a huge fan of Apple TV, as on average I find their contact to be inferior to a number of the other pay streaming services, but not all of their stuff is bad and sometimes they put out something very good. I would put "Presumed Innocent" in the very good category.

Just about to start the two final episodes of this right now.

I've really enjoyed it.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on August 01, 2024, 03:20:41 PMJust about to start the two final episodes of this right now.

I've really enjoyed it.

Great! We really enjoyed it as well. Rock solid stuff.

I have a couple of thoughts on the show. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so Ed, if you feel like it, please PM me whenever you've finished the whole season.

I definitely reiterate my recommendation of this show to anyone who enjoys a good, solid, crime thriller/drama with very good acting.

Jolly Blue Giant

I just finished the first season of "Troppo" on Prime and am now entering the second season. I really liked it. Sort of an Agatha Christie detective/mystery set in the swamps of a small town in Australia. Got a little bit of everything, "suicide by crocodile", "teen murder", "using deadly snake venom to get high", "corrupt police", "murder by Eastern Brown Snake", "big money vs. barely able to survive folks", etc. Somehow, they left out the funnel web spider  :-??

I liked it and thought I'd share

The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

LennG

We also, are sort of all over the place on watching over the summer.

I am almost finished with Shogun and like it very much. I just get confused as to who is who as they are almost all Japanese and the names get confusing, but overall, very well done and extremely interesting.

My wife and I have just finished the first season of Secrets of the Skinwalker Ranch' and we liked it very much. If you have never heard of this series on the History Channel, Skinwalker Ranch is basically a hub for UFOs, and all sorts of paranormal kinds of things. There are many articles on the Skinwalker Ranch and what has happened there over the years, and even as they filmed this series, you can see some of these things that are just unexplainable. We look forward to next season. If this is your thing, I highly recommend this series.

Myself, I am still into these survival shows, like Alone (which is great) and Naked and Afraid Winner Take All. Maybe I was a survivalist in a former life.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I just finished a documentary from National Geographic (also on Hulu) called "Cult Massacre--One Day In Jamestown".
I am a vacuum for anything where I thought I knew something but really didn't and the chance to learn from something like this is right up my alley.

I am sure we all remember the Jamestown Massacre where 900+ people died from the town called Jamestown where they were seduced by Jim Jones into this community and then died there. Again, I thought I knew the basics about this tragedy, but on watching this fascinating documentary, I really knew nothing.

This is a 3-hour (3 parts) and I found it riveting, couldn't wait for the next episode. The documentary tells the story and has some of the survivors and even Jones's son telling the story of what happened that day. I was basically dumbfounded to learn some of these things, and the after-effects, the clean up of the bodies, all done in a way that makes you feel part of this.

this is part of this country's history, and history is something I always will love and will catch almost anything that will help me expand my knowledge of things I thought I knew. Jim Jones was literally a monster, even his son believes that. He basically killed all those people including about 450 children, but so many things I never knew.

If anyone is interested in this, I would very much recommend this show.

Charlie Weiss