News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lets talk about the QBs in 2024 draft.

Started by brownelvis54, October 31, 2023, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 12, 2023, 05:34:04 PMI think Trevor Lawrence qualifies, although maybe you meant QBs who have already had their careers (I see you used the word "had").
DB: Good catch. I didn't think of that issue (career ongoing vs. career over). Putting it aside for a moment...

I don't want to be in a stats battle, but Lawrence's 2-1/2 years have been less than stellar. Check QB ratings.

Measured by 1st-overall draft status, the jury's still out IMO (honestly, he's a bit better than I expected).

Back to my statement... was he worth a 2nd-round pick? So far, heck yeah!

But my guess on his full career - probably not good enough to pull the boat w/out more help than the Jags have given him so far.  He's rapidly approaching "put-up-or-shut-up" territory. Even if we include on-going careers, I don't think 2-1/2 years is enough to determine in which round he deserved to have been drafted. He'll get a 2nd contract. Let's see if he continues to improve. IMO the rate at which he is improving is not very steep and certainly not what you would expect from a 1st-overall pick. The Jags threw him out to the wolves in Year One; in general, he dealt with it very well, but unless the stats start building at a faster rate than they have so far, history will probably show him to have been just another above-average QB... like your average 2nd- or 3rd-rounder.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Dgoodmantrublu

I think you really underestimate Lawrence.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 13, 2023, 12:47:11 AMDB: Good catch. I didn't think of that issue (career ongoing vs. career over). Putting it aside for a moment...

I don't want to be in a stats battle, but Lawrence's 2-1/2 years have been less than stellar. Check QB ratings.

Measured by 1st-overall draft status, the jury's still out IMO (honestly, he's a bit better than I expected).

Back to my statement... was he worth a 2nd-round pick? So far, heck yeah!

But my guess on his full career - probably not good enough to pull the boat w/out more help than the Jags have given him so far.  He's rapidly approaching "put-up-or-shut-up" territory. Even if we include on-going careers, I don't think 2-1/2 years is enough to determine in which round he deserved to have been drafted. He'll get a 2nd contract. Let's see if he continues to improve. IMO the rate at which he is improving is not very steep and certainly not what you would expect from a 1st-overall pick. The Jags threw him out to the wolves in Year One; in general, he dealt with it very well, but unless the stats start building at a faster rate than they have so far, history will probably show him to have been just another above-average QB... like your average 2nd- or 3rd-rounder.

Bob

Bob,

Fair enough, and good point. I agree his numbers are unspectacular. I do think he did pretty well last year though for a 23 year old second year QB. But very fair to point out that his numbers this year are not great, despite the team's solid record.

With that said, I think it is clear that he is talented, and I don't think the Jags' significant turnaround since his rookie season (which was marred by the disastrous coaching job of Urban Meyer) are coincidental to his being there.

brownelvis54

This Saturday is a huge game. I'm really looking forward to see Michigan versus Ohio. I want to see what McCarthy can do against Ohio's defense
The KING is in the building

brownelvis54

Also want to see Jayden Daniel's... out of LSU. I've heard a lot of good things about him. Honestly, I haven't watched too much of him.

Dgoodmantrublu

I think Daniels will rise to be a top 5 pick.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 23, 2023, 08:02:46 PMI think Daniels will rise to be a top 5 pick.

Honestly havent really seen much of him. Would you be cool if the Giants took him at 5 ?

Dgoodmantrublu

I would. He's like Lamar, except a much more accurate passer for the same development point.

Quote from: brownelvis54 on November 23, 2023, 08:22:50 PMHonestly havent really seen much of him. Would you be cool if the Giants took him at 5 ?

Philosophers

Quote from: brownelvis54 on November 23, 2023, 08:22:50 PMHonestly havent really seen much of him. Would you be cool if the Giants took him at 5 ?

The fans who are high on Jayden Daniels are not considering one very important thing.  LSU runs a 1 read offense in which Daniels throws to a primary receiver on that play.  He does not go through progressions like they run in the NFL.  He has virtually no experience reading defenses and making progressions.  This is not something you just learn.  Daniels can play in a 1 read system because LSU has NFL starting caliber WRs.  For this reason, I have a huge question mark on him.

Dgoodmantrublu

It is Penix who plays in a one read system. Daniels plays in a much more pro style offense.

JT39

Quote from: brownelvis54 on November 23, 2023, 07:57:28 PMThis Saturday is a huge game. I'm really looking forward to see Michigan versus Ohio. I want to see what McCarthy can do against Ohio's defense

Don't get your hopes up. Rumor has it that McCarthy is playing on a sprained MCL which is why he has been basically shelved from running the last two games.

Could be why he hasn't been as good.

Philosophers

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 23, 2023, 11:44:39 PMIt is Penix who plays in a one read system. Daniels plays in a much more pro style offense.

No Daniels does not.

Ed Vette

LSU has one of the best Offensive lines in the country. Not just in pass protection but in opening up holes for rushing and for Daniels to scramble. This is one of the foundations of that prolific Offense.

Daniels has almost 400 more rushing yards than Diggs but that doesn't deter the use of Play Action to bring up the LB's to execute plays up the seam or in the Flat. Nabers, Thomas, Lacy and Taylor are all tall targets. Safeties have to pick their poison to contain Daniels or those Receivers.

Daniels has to read the Defense and decide run or pass, deep or not. He's Joe Burrow 2.0. He has over 1000 yards rushing and a strong, accurate arm.

I don't know how he would hold up behind the Giants Offensive Line. There would also be a learning curve to the Pro style Offense and I don't see any obstacle in achieving that.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 24, 2023, 08:38:31 AMLSU has one of the best Offensive lines in the country. Not just in pass protection but in opening up holes for rushing and for Daniels to scramble. This is one of the foundations of that prolific Offense.

Daniels has almost 400 more rushing yards than Diggs but that doesn't deter the use of Play Action to bring up the LB's to execute plays up the seam or in the Flat. Nabers, Thomas, Lacy and Taylor are all tall targets. Safeties have to pick their poison to contain Daniels or those Receivers.

Daniels has to read the Defense and decide run or pass, deep or not. He's Joe Burrow 2.0. He has over 1000 yards rushing and a strong, accurate arm.

I don't know how he would hold up behind the Giants Offensive Line. There would also be a learning curve to the Pro style Offense and I don't see any obstacle in achieving that.

Ed - the problem I have with Jayden Daniels is that if you are not used to making progression reads in the chaos of so much movement on a field every play, things can blur for a QB and so-called windows are not really so-called windows.  Playing under Joe Brady as OC, Joe Burrow did play in more of a progression system.  Brian Kelly does not run that.  More of a 1 read and let it fly.  Daniels has put up amazing stats for sure, but it's these kinds of things where a college QB with what looks like all the physical tools can't make it in the NFL.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 24, 2023, 08:38:31 AMLSU has one of the best Offensive lines in the country. Not just in pass protection but in opening up holes for rushing and for Daniels to scramble. This is one of the foundations of that prolific Offense.

I think whoever drafts Daniels needs to build an offense around him and his strengths instead of putting him in their offense.