News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lets talk about the QBs in 2024 draft.

Started by brownelvis54, October 31, 2023, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dgoodmantrublu

I will be thrilled if we get Caleb or Drake Maye. Warming up to McCarthy and Daniels.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on November 07, 2023, 12:57:55 PMBob - I have not gotten the impression the PSU's fanbase has grown impatient with Franklin's lack of success against Michigan or OSU.  Am I wrong?

The Big 10 East has been tough.
Phil: Right now it's more an undercurrent of dissatisfaction than open outrage. There's a Daboll parallel IMO. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

Quote from: brownelvis54 on November 07, 2023, 09:20:13 PMI am worried about other teams taking him. I am also worried about mock drafts that have us trading up for Calib Williams.
We are 5 months away from the draft don't worry too much.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 08, 2023, 11:59:10 AMWe are 5 months away from the draft don't worry too much.
J: All these guys have a shot, but if forced to pick a QB right now it would be Jaden Daniels (LSU).

All other things being equal (which they are not) he would be the front-runner for the Heisman Trophy.

If he played on a real good team, he'd IMO be the talk of this thread (no one even mentioned him yet).

I'm getting the same vibes about him as when Lamar Jackson was in the draft (for @Ed Vette  especially!).

The really good news... he could actually still be there at the top of the 2nd round. 

Bob

Dgoodmantrublu

There is no way he'll be there at the top of the 2nd round. That was the view before the season. He's gonna be a top 5 pick now. I think 3 QBs go in the top 5. Williams, Maye and Daniels. Maybe McCarthy can make it 4.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 12:51:18 AMJ: All these guys have a shot, but if forced to pick a QB right now it would be Jaden Daniels (LSU).

All other things being equal (which they are not) he would be the front-runner for the Heisman Trophy.

If he played on a real good team, he'd IMO be the talk of this thread (no one even mentioned him yet).

I'm getting the same vibes about him as when Lamar Jackson was in the draft (for @Ed Vette  especially!).

The really good news... he could actually still be there at the top of the 2nd round. 

Bob
If it walks like a 🦆, quacks like a 🦆 and slings a football with a 78% completion %, it's probably Bo Nix.

Bo knows football. Don't discount Bo.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 12, 2023, 02:25:50 AMThere is no way he'll be there at the top of the 2nd round. That was the view before the season. He's gonna be a top 5 pick now. I think 3 QBs go in the top 5. Williams, Maye and Daniels. Maybe McCarthy can make it 4.
Dgood: If you're right about Daniels, it will IMO be due to the success of Lamar Jackson with the Ravens.

Every team passed on him & it's his success that IMO changed how NFL teams view "dual threat" QB's.

A new trend had already begun, but our "Mesozoic Era" management was (as they've been through my entire lifetime) one of the last to see it and act on it. I'm still not convinced that, even though they can now see it clearly, they will act on it in 2024. For this reason alone, the 2024 draft will be of extreme interest to me. Will the stodgy Giants enter the 21st century before it ends?

Bob

PS. This doesn't I've given up on Jones. It only means that his time limit with the Giants may have expired.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 08:11:56 AMDgood: If you're right about Daniels, it will IMO be due to the success of Lamar Jackson with the Ravens.

Every team passed on him & it's his success that IMO changed how NFL teams view "dual threat" QB's.

A new trend had already begun, but our "Mesozoic Era" management was (as they've been through my entire lifetime) one of the last to see it and act on it. I'm still not convinced that, even though they can now see it clearly, they will act on it in 2024. For this reason alone, the 2024 draft will be of extreme interest to me. Will the stodgy Giants enter the 21st century before it ends?

Bob

PS. This doesn't I've given up on Jones. It only means that his time limit with the Giants may have expired.
Daniels is special. The difference between him and Lamar is this kid has an arm. He threw a pass effortlessly for about 62 yards leading his receiver.

He doesn't just take off either. He scopes the field very well.

Calib in my eyes will have his challenges at the next level.

At this point my top three are Maye, Bo and Daniels. I think Penik drop's because of his injuries and Williams because he's not seeing or throwing to open receivers and is getting self sacks and turnovers. His horrible Oline doing a NYG imitation not withstanding.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 12, 2023, 08:21:48 AMDaniels is special. The difference between him and Lamar is this kid has an arm. He threw a pass effortlessly for about 62 yards leading his receiver.

He doesn't just take off either. He scopes the field very well.

Calib in my eyes will have his challenges at the next level.

At this point my top three are Maye, Bo and Daniels. I think Penik drop's because of his injuries and Williams because he's not seeing or throwing to open receivers and is getting self sacks and turnovers. His horrible Oline doing a NYG imitation not withstanding.

Ed: IMO you know your QB's but I ask you... even if the Giants like Maye and want him over all other QB's....

How can Schoen stand before the media & make the case for Maye (assuming they get him in the high first round)?

After the lack of success of Daniel Jones (or, if you still believe in him as I do, delayed or stunted success)
coming out of the ACC, it would require (because Jones will still be on the team) Schoen to say why Maye is a better prospect than Jones!  If you disagree with this statement, then tell me what he will say... no, I don't think the Giants will take Maye no matter how much they like him.

Bob

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 08:28:36 AMEd: IMO you know your QB's but I ask you... even if the Giants like Maye and want him over all other QB's....

How can Schoen stand before the media & make the case for Maye (assuming they get him in the high first round)?

After the lack of success of Daniel Jones (or, if you still believe in him as I do, delayed or stunted success)  coming out of the ACC, it would require (because Jones will still be on the team) Schoen to say why Maye is a better prospect than Jones!  If you disagree with this statement, then tell me what he will say... no, I don't think the Giants will take Maye no matter how much they like him.

Bob
I did say at this point. However Maye in my opinion has a nice upside and is further along than Jones was. A lot of this comes down to how they fall to the Giants. I actually believe at this point that Bo Nix would be the best fit for the Giants. After Jones getting injured so many times, I think they would be shy of Daniels. McCarthy would be another good fit in Blue.

Again, too early to make predictions and I have a lot more film to review.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 08, 2023, 12:07:23 AMPhil: Right now it's more an undercurrent of dissatisfaction than open outrage. There's a Daboll parallel IMO. Bob

Answering my own post... after yesterday it's clear the coach SHOULD HAVE (as all the Monday-Morning-QB's will now caterwaul) that Franklin needs to go because he leaned too heavily on the run-game (which obviously didn't work).

My own view is that Frankin was cautious with Allar (a sophomore) yesterday because he realizes this year is not Penn State's year (having already lost to Ohio State proved it to him, IMO) so his decision DOES have a basis in fact, and I see it.  He just didn't want the kid to fail on the "big stage" and played it safe (as did Michigan, by the way, with their supposedly great QB McCarthy).

This year, Penn State lacked a legit elite WR (sound familiar?) and Allar will be back next year, whereas Ohio State's QB is not very good and Michigan's QB will be in the NFL. So Franklin may have decided to bide his time and take his "best shot" next year after he presumably coaxes an elite WR to change schools and come to Penn State and/or gives his OL more time to gel (again, does this sound familiar?).

Bob

PS. Even if Penn State won yesterday, IMO Ohio State is the better team and even if Penn State had won and Michigan beats Ohio State, the best Penn State can hope for would have been a 3-way tie, which IMO would not have placed Penn State in the

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 12, 2023, 08:39:15 AMI did say at this point. Again, too early to make predictions and I have a lot more film to review.
Ed: Clearly, that's all anyone can say and all views are will still-limited data.

But my point about the Giants taking Maye will exist no matter how well each QB does between now and draft day.

I was just spit-balling the issue to you now because I figured it's legit to consider that issue even today.

Bob

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 08:46:12 AMEd: Clearly, that's all anyone can say and all views are will still-limited data.

But my point about the Giants taking Maye will exist no matter how well each QB does between now and draft day.

I was just spit-balling the issue to you now because I figured it's legit to consider that issue even today.

Bob
It's possible but I don't believe they will think that way.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 12, 2023, 08:48:48 AMIt's possible but I don't believe they will think that way.

Ed: Fair enough, but now throw in the owners. Does your answer change? Bob

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 08:53:13 AMEd: Fair enough, but now throw in the owners. Does your answer change? Bob
The Owners don't know QBs. They will weigh their options based on the intel provided by the Scouting Reports and his GM/Coaching Staff. Blond hair and Blue eyes a plus.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin