News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DJ on next year's draft class

Started by MightyGiants, February 10, 2024, 06:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

brownelvis54

This means nothing there's been quarterback classes where everyone is excited about in almost all the quarterbacks were bust. I'm thinking about Dante Culpepper's draft class.

Scouts were not big on Brock Purdy yet he's playing in the Super Bowl tomorrow
The KING is in the building

Doc16LT56

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 10, 2024, 07:02:44 PMThis means nothing there's been quarterback classes where everyone is excited about in almost all the quarterbacks were bust. I'm thinking about Dante Culpepper's draft class.

How do you plan for the future if you don't make a plan and just hope for the best? When does probability factor in?

brownelvis54

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on February 10, 2024, 07:07:37 PMHow do you plan for the future if you don't make a plan and just hope for the best? When does probability factor in?

Doc, I never said not to plan for the future, not sure how you got that out of what I said. Rich poster an article that said teams might move up for a QB and I agree that some teams will. The point I was making, is the fact that every year there are can't miss players (especially at QB) and some (a lot) don't pan out. Unless a QB we love falls to us at 6...then the plan should be trading back enough to still get a player we need, while getting more picks. We are not a QB away from being any good. We are officially in rebuild mode.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 10, 2024, 09:02:25 PMDoc, I never said not to plan for the future, not sure how you got that out of what I said. Rich poster an article that said teams might move up for a QB and I agree that some teams will. The point I was making, is the fact that every year there are can't miss players (especially at QB) and some (a lot) don't pan out. Unless a QB we love falls to us at 6...then the plan should be trading back enough to still get a player we need, while getting more picks. We are not a QB away from being any good. We are officially in rebuild mode.
Why does trading back have to be the plan if no franchise QB is available? I agree it should be considered but it shouldn't be automatic. This team needs a few impact players a lot more than it needs a lot of average players. The last time the Giants had a shot at one of those guys they passed on an impact linebacker and an impact OL. They ended up with Toney who is long gone and Neal who isn't going to last much longer if he doesn't improve. And they still need an impact pass rusher and OL.

So who specifically are they trading back for? They'd better know and they'd better be right. Because even if they can't get a QB, they may have a shot at an impact receiver or OL.

It's not the quantity of the picks, it's the quality. It's always the quality. Accumulating more picks is a smart thing to do when you've done a good job with your evaluations and you know the top prospects aren't as good as people think. As far as I'm concerned, if they trade back, they'd better be sure they aren't passing on the chance to draft the next Justin Jefferson or the next Ryan Ramczyk.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on February 10, 2024, 09:41:20 PMWhy does trading back have to be the plan if no franchise QB is available? I agree it should be considered but it shouldn't be automatic. This team needs a few impact players a lot more than it needs a lot of average players. The last time the Giants had a shot at one of those guys they passed on an impact linebacker and an impact OL. They ended up with Toney who is long gone and Neal who isn't going to last much longer if he doesn't improve. And they still need an impact pass rusher and OL.

So who specifically are they trading back for? They'd better know and they'd better be right. Because even if they can't get a QB, they may have a shot at an impact receiver or OL.

It's not the quantity of the picks, it's the quality. It's always the quality. Accumulating more picks is a smart thing to do when you've done a good job with your evaluations and you know the top prospects aren't as good as people think. As far as I'm concerned, if they trade back, they'd better be sure they aren't passing on the chance to draft the next Justin Jefferson or the next Ryan Ramczyk.

Doc there is validity to what you are saying. And yes trading back should not be automatic, but "the plan" should be there if it makes sense. So, with all these teams wanting to trade up and get a QB, then there should be blue chip players available in rounds 7 to 12. Six QBs being looked at and we have the pick 6. Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels, Michael Penix Jr., J.J. McCarthy and Bo Nix if all are wanted or taken then that would mean some players might slip.  If at 6 the QB Joe wanted is gone and players like Brock Bowers, Rome Odunze, Malik Nabers and JC Latham are there...then trade back to 7,8, or 11 (all teams that need a QB) and take the guy remaining. Remember Marvin Harrison Jr. wasn't mentioned because he should be gone before we pick at 6, so the guys I mentioned two should be available even if we trade back to 11

brownelvis54

We could even go back to pick 12. Joe Alt and /or Olumuyiwa Fashanu would be good picks too...if we give up our pick to a team like Denver who wants a QB

MightyGiants

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 10, 2024, 07:02:44 PMThis means nothing there's been quarterback classes where everyone is excited about in almost all the quarterbacks were bust. I'm thinking about Dante Culpepper's draft class.

There is a huge difference between something not being certain and something meaning "nothing."   You are trying to equate uncertainty with ignoring all the solid signs.  It's like someone not bothering to buy a snow shovel when a big snowstorm is forecast because once in a while, the weatherman gets it wrong.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I don't see any issue with prognosticating about a QB class a year in advance. I think that's totally doable. Sure, you can have guys emerge who were less on the radar in the prior season, but history has taught us that, generally speaking, QBs who do little to nothing until their final year in college are often not the best bets. I know Joe Burrow looks like he disproves that thesis, but he was in a unique situation being stuck behind Haskins at OSU. For every story like that there are 15 or 20 Zach Wilsons or Kenny Picketts.

jimc

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on February 10, 2024, 09:41:20 PMWhy does trading back have to be the plan if no franchise QB is available? I agree it should be considered but it shouldn't be automatic. This team needs a few impact players a lot more than it needs a lot of average players. The last time the Giants had a shot at one of those guys they passed on an impact linebacker and an impact OL. They ended up with Toney who is long gone and Neal who isn't going to last much longer if he doesn't improve. And they still need an impact pass rusher and OL.

All options should be considered. I'm thinking we should go BPA. If we feel the next BPA on our board will be available some positions later, then a trade back should be considered. Only if you are pretty darn sure you are going to get YOUR 6th BPA or equivalent with that later pick.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

Jclayton92

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 10, 2024, 09:02:25 PMDoc, I never said not to plan for the future, not sure how you got that out of what I said. Rich poster an article that said teams might move up for a QB and I agree that some teams will. The point I was making, is the fact that every year there are can't miss players (especially at QB) and some (a lot) don't pan out. Unless a QB we love falls to us at 6...then the plan should be trading back enough to still get a player we need, while getting more picks. We are not a QB away from being any good. We are officially in rebuild mode.
What team that has ever picked a Qb early in round 1 been only a Qb away with exception of the Chiefs?

I think the term "we are not a qb away from being good" is a complete cop out and utter bull sht. So you don't think the Giants make the playoffs this past season with CJ Stroud at Qb? The defense wasn't the problem, they kept us in games, Slayton was running wide open with Hyatt half the season. We also saw our oline play exceptionally better under Tyrod than with Jones/Devito, some of that to do with health and the rest because tyrod is an actual NFL quarterback.

The whole point of drafting a Qb early is to jump start the team, and use the savings on not having to pay them to build the team around them.

A few of us had been discussing the 2024 draft for 2+ years because of the talent qb wise that would be in this draft. No one is magically coming out to save the Giants in 2025, we know 90% of the starters for most college teams next year already and it is not good. You have Sanders, Ewers, Dart, and maybe a couple more but it is nothing in comparison to this draft. It's why the emphasis has been placed on going all in to get your guy this year especially with the qb play we've had the past half decade.

brownelvis54

What team? Pittsburg. When they drafted Ben

Jclayton92

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 11, 2024, 12:17:26 PMWhat team? Pittsburg. When they drafted Ben
So 2 teams in the past 2 decades to have an entire team together before getting a Quarterback. Guess you want us to wait another decade to be the 3rd team eh?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 11, 2024, 01:09:28 PMSo 2 teams in the past 2 decades to have an entire team together before getting a Quarterback. Guess you want us to wait another decade to be the 3rd team eh?

The Bills were a playoff-caliber team when they drafted Josh Allen.  The Ravens when they drafted Lamar Jackson.  The Eagles when they drafted Hurts.  The 49ers when they drafted Purdy.  The Cowboys when they drafted Dak.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I don't understand. How were the Steelers a "complete team" when they drafted Ben if they were 6-10 the year before (2003)?