News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Bobby Okereke: Giants' defense is "just going to take over."

Started by DaveBrown74, June 09, 2024, 06:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 09, 2024, 06:50:31 AMGotta like the confidence:

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2024/06/09/bobby-okereke-says-new-york-giants-defense-is-just-going-to-take-over/?taid=6665832528268c000167fa4f&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

I just hope Bowen's D does not cause them to have to think so much that they get confused on the field as to whose responsibility it is.  We had that several years ago with missed/blown coverages and it was tough to watch.  I am excited about this change in DC.

Stringer Bell

Yes, I like the confidence.

But I'm still worried about the secondary. And this is coming from a big-time Banks fan. But he needs to improve in year 2. We have a gaping hole alongside him. I have confidence in Flott / Phillips in the slot.

And at safety, Nubin is a rookie who will have growing pains. And Pinnock needs to prove last year wasn't a fluke.

There's a lot of if's in that secondary. And if things fall apart back there, doesn't matter how dominant your front 7 are.

Philosophers

Quote from: Stringer Bell on June 09, 2024, 09:18:41 AMYes, I like the confidence.

But I'm still worried about the secondary. And this is coming from a big-time Banks fan. But he needs to improve in year 2. We have a gaping hole alongside him. I have confidence in Flott / Phillips in the slot.

And at safety, Nubin is a rookie who will have growing pains. And Pinnock needs to prove last year wasn't a fluke.

There's a lot of if's in that secondary. And if things fall apart back there, doesn't matter how dominant your front 7 are.

Great post.  I agree that with the evolution of this league, the back group matters now more than 20 years ago.

Painter

That's exactly what we should want to hear from a guy who is central in, and to the Defense. There certainly is no reason for us to quibble about it.

Cheers!

BluesCruz

Its extremely concerning to hear this new DC likes to rush only 4

Against a top rated QB we will be shredded.  Not only that, dropping 7 back leaves us open to a team running it down our throats

Who picked this guy anyway
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 09, 2024, 12:38:55 PMIts extremely concerning to hear this new DC likes to rush only 4

Against a top rated QB we will be shredded.  Not only that, dropping 7 back leaves us open to a team running it down our throats

We beat the Pats in the SB (both times) rushing just four. It's not necessarily a bad think if you have the right personnel.

I think Bowen could be a great DC, he could be a terrible DC, or (more likely) he could be somewhere in between. I'm not going to criticize him or praise him until I see the product on the field over at least several games if not most or all of this season.

Painter

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 09, 2024, 01:17:02 PMWe beat the Pats in the SB (both times) rushing just four. It's not necessarily a bad think if you have the right personnel.

I think Bowen could be a great DC, he could be a terrible DC, or (more likely) he could be somewhere in between. I'm not going to criticize him or praise him until I see the product on the field over at least several games if not most or all of this season.

Apparently, at least one person here seems to think that Martindale's all-out pressure Defense was something not quite a disaster, last year. But I suppose not everyone here was paying attention to what was much the same issue for Daboll as that which finally caused John Harbaugh to get rid of Martindale after a few seasons. And that was his refusal to listen to his Head Coach when it came to making needed adjustments.

It is understood that Daboll wanted him to ease up on the all-out pass rush after Xavier McKinney complained about the Secondary being short-handed in giving up 640 yards and 49 points in the Week 10 loss to the Cows. Instead, Wink tried to blame it on X-man which was not appreciated at all by Daboll.

While we may anticipate a different, more flexible approach from Shane Bowen, our expertise in 2nd-guessing in no way justifies any such foregoing assertion- wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, know what I mean, know who I mean?

Cheers!

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 09, 2024, 12:38:55 PMIts extremely concerning to hear this new DC likes to rush only 4

You do realize the best defense in the league last season Baltimore, only sent 4 rushers all season. The Giants last year were significantly better on defense when they sent 3 or 4 guys instead of 5+.

So why are you not a fan of 4 rushers?

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 09, 2024, 09:49:59 PMYou do realize the best defense in the league last season Baltimore, only sent 4 rushers all season. The Giants last year were significantly better on defense when they sent 3 or 4 guys instead of 5+.

So why are you not a fan of 4 rushers?

I wasn't sure how I felt about Bowen, but now that I know BC is against his approach, I'm now 100% sure it's a good one. LOL

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 09, 2024, 01:17:02 PMWe beat the Pats in the SB (both times) rushing just four. It's not necessarily a bad think if you have the right personnel.

To me he is a professional. He doesn't get several games!....i wanna see a clear indication of what his defense is after 2-3 games most!

Painter

Quote from: Trench on June 09, 2024, 11:19:56 PMTo me he is a professional. He doesn't get several games!....i wanna see a clear indication of what his defense is after 2-3 games most!

Is there anyone here who doesn't think he's a professional? But then, if you don't like what you see after 2-3 games most, what are you going to do about it which might be different from your otherwise usual routine? Do we dare to hope?

Cheers!

uconnjack8

Quote from: Trench on June 09, 2024, 11:19:56 PMTo me he is a professional. He doesn't get several games!....i wanna see a clear indication of what his defense is after 2-3 games most!

In Spags 1st 2 games as DC I think they gave up 80 points.

madbadger

I hate these proclamations. Just like Hyatt, shut up and play football. We sucked last year and we haven't made great strides improving our personnel. I'm sure we'll be a better team but I can't take anyone on last years team envisioning glory for this years team seriously. Try not sucking first before talking a big game.

T200

Quote from: madbadger on June 10, 2024, 01:40:36 PMI hate these proclamations. Just like Hyatt, shut up and play football. We sucked last year and we haven't made great strides improving our personnel. I'm sure we'll be a better team but I can't take anyone on last years team envisioning glory for this years team seriously. Try not sucking first before talking a big game.
He also said:

"The 2024 New York Giants are going to be a tough, gritty, dominant team. We have no false pretenses. No one's coming in here thinking we're hot (expletive), we're going to earn everything we get, and we're going to work hard every day."
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: