News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants will sign Herndon

Started by Dumpster Dan, June 12, 2024, 01:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumpster Dan

CB---slot or outside??

Dumpster Dan

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on June 12, 2024, 01:35:12 PMCB---slot or outside??

Dumpster Dan
We have a glut of slots, so I suspect he'll be lining up primarily outside. He might not be Neon Deion, but he's a veteran with 6 years of NFL experience who adds competition. Only 28 yrs old, so coming into his prime. Ran a 4.47 6 years ago. Good guy on the bench to spell starters when injuries start piling up

Yesterday's news: https://gmenhq.com/posts/ny-giants-cant-let-veteran-cb-leave-town-without-signing-new-deal-01j03zjax7wn
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

MightyGiants

Tre Herndon
CB #37

Jacksonville Jaguars
DOB
1996-03-05 (28.2)
HEIGHT
5'11"
WEIGHT

COLLEGE
Vanderbilt Commodores
DRAFT YEAR
DRAFT TEAM
Jacksonville Jaguars
ROUND
FA

Pro Day Scores
Pro Day Date:   3/13/2018
40 Yard Dash:   4.51 seconds
40 Yard (MPH):   18.14 (MPH)
20 Yard Split:   2.67 seconds
10 Yard Split:   1.59 seconds
Bench Press:   (N/A) reps (225 lb)
Vertical Leap:   34.5 inches
Height:   71.75 inches
Weight:   188 lbs
Broad Jump:   126 inches
Hand Size:   8.88 inches
Arm Length:   30.88 inches
20 Yd Shuttle:   4.20 seconds
Three Cone:   6.75 seconds
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Good to have a veteran on the squad as depth.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 12, 2024, 02:26:40 PMGood to have a veteran on the squad as depth.

Ed

Done be surprised if he is more than depth--but I agree--we needed depth

Dumpster Dan

MightyGiants

I did some digging. He has played mostly in the slot, but he has a reasonable number of games in his longish career playing on the outside.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Allowed 45 receptions on 57 targets last year, which on its face doesn't sound great to me but probably isn't that bad for a slot guy.

70.8 PFF rating though which is quite solid for a veteran depth guy.

PFF grades generally in the 50s though if you go back several years prior to 2023.

Definitely a depth guy, but doesn't seem completely useless.

Jclayton92

This signing had me thinking, as I know the chat sports Giants guy keeps banging the table for us to sign Gilmore.

So do you want a proven commodity at CB2?

Or

Since we are likely a year or so off would you rather the young guys get reps?

We are extremely young at a lot of positions; CB, Safety, WR, RB, TE etc.

I would much rather our young guys like Bellinger, Johnson, Owens, Pinnock, Flott, Nubin, Hawkins, Phillips, Tracey, and so on get the reps and see what we actually have as opposed to signing a couple 1 year rentals, even if those rentals are really good.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 12, 2024, 05:21:01 PMThis signing had me thinking, as I know the chat sports Giants guy keeps banging the table for us to sign Gilmore.

So do you want a proven commodity at CB2?

Or

Since we are likely a year or so off would you rather the young guys get reps?

We are extremely young at a lot of positions; CB, Safety, WR, RB, TE etc.

I would much rather our young guys like Bellinger, Johnson, Owens, Pinnock, Flott, Nubin, Hawkins, Phillips, Tracey, and so on get the reps and see what we actually have as opposed to signing a couple 1 year rentals, even if those rentals are really good.

I think one of the issues with the Giants is that they are ambivalent about whether they are rebuilding or are a win now team.  That was one of the issues I had with the Waller signing - he was 32 and very unlikely to still be with the team when they were ready to be competitive.  And they took the smoke and mirrors first half of 2022 far too much as a true barometer of where the team actually is, as the 9-17-1 record after being 6-2 shows. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on June 12, 2024, 05:52:15 PMI think one of the issues with the Giants is that they are ambivalent about whether they are rebuilding or are a win now team.  That was one of the issues I had with the Waller signing - he was 32 and very unlikely to still be with the team when they were ready to be competitive.  And they took the smoke and mirrors first half of 2022 far too much as a true barometer of where the team actually is, as the 9-17-1 record after being 6-2 shows. 
Couldn't agree more.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on June 12, 2024, 05:52:15 PMI think one of the issues with the Giants is that they are ambivalent about whether they are rebuilding or are a win now team.  That was one of the issues I had with the Waller signing - he was 32 and very unlikely to still be with the team when they were ready to be competitive.  And they took the smoke and mirrors first half of 2022 far too much as a true barometer of where the team actually is, as the 9-17-1 record after being 6-2 shows.
This is why I'm losing faith in this regime at an alarming rate. It's smells of pandering to Mara instead of having the courage of their convictions.

It's too bad, because I think that both guys are talented, but it's all going to waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Dumpster Dan

I am in the dark

Herndon is 28 years old and we are talking about win now or rebuilding?

How does he even belong in that conversation

And we also worry that he is going to take snaps from the YOUNGER guys?

Dumpster Dan

MightyGiants

This is why they added a veteran:

SHANE BOWEN: ...Bottom line: We need guys to start separating themselves. Maybe not the first week in training camp, but as we get going those first few weeks in training camp, we've got to start defining roles. I want to see guys take opportunities, grab them, and start to pull away.

It's the NFL. Like everybody has to earn it. Go do it.

Q. It's early. Has anyone done that so far?

SHANE BOWEN: Yeah, I've seen improvement. I would say not enough. Like right now this spring, I would say not enough. Again, it's 7-on-7 basically out there, and the rules and everything else that come into play, I think it's going to be more telling come August.

But there is a lot of positions within our defense right now where the competition hopefully will continue to drive that. But I want to see guys grab these opportunities and run with them.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE